Generic Virus Thread

villakram

35 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Only Monday to Friday. On the weekend everyone calls me Shirley.

Oh, too much info.

Hope you're coping well with shielding, it'll be a relief when that's over too.

Weirdly, I live in a place called Shirley. Something tells me we are the same person. Maybe this is our way of coping with Shielding 😂

Same to you, fingers crossed this is finally the end of a long dark path. 

• Like 1

You can see what is happening in Europe right now.  More and more places going into lockdown again, whilst thankfully (hopefully) due to the vaccines, we're coming out of this mess.  Someone said the vaccine rollout here has been spectacular.  I couldn't agree more.  For once, temporary supply issues aside, the Government seems to have got it right and wonderfully so. 

Edited by trekka
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m very jealous of those who’ve had their jabs. 

I’m extremely jealous of how many you’ve managed to get vaccinated already. It’s going laughably slow here, while shit is getting worse and worse when it should have been getting better. 

2 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I’m extremely jealous of how many you’ve managed to get vaccinated already. It’s going laughably slow here, while shit is getting worse and worse when it should have been getting better. 

Same here, really frustrating

36 minutes ago, trekka said:

You can see what is happening in Europe right now.  More and more places going into lockdown again, whilst thankfully (hopefully) due to the vaccines, we're coming out of this mess.  Someone said the vaccine rollout here has been spectacular.  I couldn't agree more.  For once, temporary supply issues aside, the Government seems to have got it right and wonderfully so. 

Well, they couldn’t sell the vaccine to their mates, so it was bound to go well. Thank god for all the NHS workers who are doing wonders.

Couple of my friends in their early 30's have had their appointments through for their vaccines. Both rang up to make sure it wasn't a mistake and it wasn't.

Both Birmingham.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

True, but it also allows for the virus to spread and create new mutations. 

Absolutely not, it helps stop transmission and reduces cases, reduced cases means less mutations. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Poland today reported 27,278 new coronavirus infections, its second-highest ever daily total and close to the peak of 27,875 recorded on 7 November, at the height of the second wave. The health minister, Adam Niedzielski, yesterday warned that the figure could soon pass 30,000.

Infections have been rising rapidly in Poland since mid-February, as the country grapples with the third wave of the virus. Yesterday, the number of COVID-19 patients requiring ventilators reached its highest ever level, and rose again today to 2,190.

The daily number of Covid-related deaths has also been increasing, and averages 288 per day over the last week. Testing has meanwhile been ramped up, after the government recently made it possible to get tested without a doctor’s referral. Today’s 86,200 tests is the highest since the start of the pandemic.

https://notesfrompoland.com/2021/03/18/poland-reports-second-highest-ever-daily-covid-cases-and-record-number-of-patients-on-ventilators/

How are we here, over a YEAR on?

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Interesting post on an article about the vaccine pause in several countries:

The comment is:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/03/amid-panic-over-astrazeneca-vaccine-who-urges-countries-to-keep-using-it/

Just read the quote out to the haematologist wife. She nodded along to all of it and said some stuff I don't understand. Apparently it's plausible. They don't give the pill to anyone at risk of thrombosis.

Ah that £37Bil is being well spent on Test and Trace

Another request today, again it's 12 days since the contact... seriously getting stupid now

First paragraph of the email...

"I am writing on behalf of NHS Test and Trace. As discussed, please find attached a template to be completed with the details of the driver that works at your establishment. On the call I highlighted the importance to return the completed form immediately following the call. This is necessary to help us act swiftly in managing Covid. "

I'm expecting them to ask if the driver is using a DeLorean and if the flux capacitors are working soon

Please Self-isolate for minus 2 days

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56440139

Covid-19: EU states to resume AstraZeneca vaccine rollout

The EU's leading states are to restart their roll-out of the Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine after Europe's medicines regulator concluded it was "safe and effective".

The European Medicines Agency (EMA) reviewed the jab after 13 EU states suspended use of the vaccine over fears of a link to blood clots.

It found the jab was "not associated" with a higher risk of clots.

Germany, France, Italy and Spain said they would resume using the jab.

It is up to individual EU states to decide whether and when to re-start vaccinations using the AstraZeneca vaccine. Sweden said it needed a "few days" to decide.

The World Health Organization (WHO) on Thursday called on countries to continue using the vaccine, and is due to release the results of its own review into the vaccine's safety on Friday.

The agency's investigation focused on a small number of cases of unusual blood disorders. In particular, it was looking at cases of cerebral venous thrombosis - blood clots in the head.

Decisions to suspend use of the vaccine sparked concerns over the pace of the region's vaccination drive, which had already been affected by supply shortages.

French Prime Minister Jean Castex announced new measures for his country on Thursday, saying the pandemic was clearly accelerating and a "third wave" of infections looked increasingly likely.

ouyRDk.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Because it is clear that temporary (partial) lockdowns suppress infection rates but only temporarily. The only way out of this is mass vaccination and frankly the European vaccination program is shambolic compared to our own. The only other option is the earlier isolation and total lockdown approaches of countries in Asia and New Zealand/Australia but that ship has long since sailed.

For all the justified criticism our Government over the last year they deserve a huge amount of credit for the swift independent action on vaccinations.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Europe is now seeing a new wave driven by the Kent mutation taking hold. The next few weeks in mainland Europe are likely to be similar to where the U.K. was over Christmas. 

In which case I’m sure they will be pointing the blame at us.

Â