Generic Virus Thread

villakram

AZ is made in India? That'll trigger a few racists who only wanted that one because it's "British ". 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

AZ is made in India? That'll trigger a few racists who only wanted that one because it's "British ". 

India is a very big player in the pharmaceutical production business. Usually surprises people when they learn that. Can't think why.

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

India is a very big player in the pharmaceutical production business. Usually surprises people when they learn that. Can't think why.

Very. In fact lots of American pharma companies tanked at the start of covid cause they realised they wouldn't get the required raw materials to keep up production.

2 hours ago, bickster said:

We aren't doing to them as they do to us.

The AZ delays in Europe are entirely their fault. Their supplies come from a factory in the Netherlands (or wasit Belgium I forget), that they come from this factory is written into the contract they signed

They delayed in approving the vaccine AND they delayed further in approving the factory to make the vaccine, it couldn't start production until it got approval

Them not getting their quota is of their own making and nothing we are doing to them

How does that fit with the EU claim they’re not getting their exports from the UK?

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

How does that fit with the EU claim they’re not getting their exports from the UK?

There’s no contract between the European and UK govts. It’s not a national thing. The uk, well before the EU had got off it’s arse, gave AZ a ton of money to develop a vaccine and contracted that if/when they found one and it got approval, that any made in the uk, the uk would have first dibs on. The uk also agreed contracts with overseas based suppliers. Those suppliers as per contract, deliver to the uk.

Much later, the EU approved the AZ vaccine and wanted to contract them. “Deliver us loads of vaccines” and what AZ said back was “ok, we’ll do our best, but some is already spoken for”. “Yeah, cool” said the EU.

But because the EU has been incompetent, slow, beaurocratic, etc they’ve got loads of stick from their voters and population. So they’re doing the nationalism thing, making out like they (the EU) give us stuff (they don’t) but the uk govt isn’t doing likewise (true, but there’s no contract or arrangement between the EU and uk ). Everyone wants more doses. The contracts are between companies and governments, not between the EU and UK.

• Like 2

Reports from Norway says researchers have found that the death of younger people who had the AZ vaccine is caused by the AZ vaccine... 

It creates a rare immune reponse that subsequently causes blood clot . Two or three deaths so far.

Not that many cases that it will be visible in statistics, but no doubt of what have caused these few spesific deaths.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 17/03/2021 at 05:27, Seat68 said:

I aint going to lie last night was **** awful. So that is what flu feels like. Banging headache, absolutely freezing for most of the night and now roasting hot. That all said I would have the jab again. 

Yeah. I had my jab in the afternoon. In the evening I felt ropy, but then later had headache, chills, cold/hot, Tinnitus came back, general aching. But starting to feel better now. The doc who vaccined me said it would likely happen, but not last more than 24 hours, so a small price to pay, I guess.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

Reports from Norway says researchers have found that the death of younger people who had the AZ vaccine is caused by the AZ vaccine... 

It creates a rare immune reponse that subsequently causes blood clot . Two or three deaths so far.

Not that many cases that it will be visible in statistics, but no doubt of what have caused these few spesific deaths.

Only younger people? 

21 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Only younger people? 

I think so. Depends on your definition of young. All under 50 as far as I know. One dead is around 30. But it hasn't been given to 65 or older. This was the vaccine that initally was meant for health workers. But they have so far been very reluctant to take it, as it is perceived to be a second rate vaccine.

Good news is that now that they know about it, they can perhaps treat you if you have symptoms of blood clot. And if you survive for more than two weeks, you're probably safe.

But it doesn't protect as well as the others, it doesn't protect you against the South African mutation, it has rare, but lethal side effects and it is in short supply. Would not be surprised at all if some countries just stop using this one now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

I think so. Depends on your definition of young. All under 50 as far as I know. One dead is around 30. But it hasn't been given to 65 or older. This was the vaccine that initally was meant for health workers. But they have so far been very reluctant to take it, as it is perceived to be a second rate vaccine.

Good news is that now that they know about it, they can perhaps treat you if you have symptoms of blood clot. And if you survive for more than two weeks, you're probably safe.

But it doesn't protect as well as the others, it doesn't protect you against the South African mutation, it has rare, but lethal side effects and it is in short supply. Would not be surprised at all if some countries just stop using this one now. 

Is this in addition to what we knew. If its new news I can’t locate anything regarding researcher categorically linking the az vaccine and the deaths. 

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Is this in addition to what we knew. If its new news I can’t locate anything regarding researcher categorically linking the az vaccine and the deaths. 

You would if you could read Norwegian.

That it doesn't work well against South African mutation should be well known. It's proven here and South Africa has stopped using it. Probably for a reason.

17 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

You would if you could read Norwegian.

That it doesn't work well against South African mutation should be well known. It's proven here and South Africa has stopped using it. Probably for a reason.

The positive is that based on that data it is effective with more serious cases and hospitalisation. 

2 hours ago, Silent_Bob said:

Edited.

Maybe my take on it is wrong. I see the papers saying what you're saying.

Edit 2.

I still maintain the papers got it some what wrong, and what the professor said was to be interpreted this way.

1) They have found the cause of the illnesses/deaths. And it's the antibodies from the vaccine they suspect have caused an immuno response, which caused the illnesses.

2) They aren't saying it's guaranteed the immuno response strictly comes from the AZ vaccine, as it might be a third party trigger that causes the problem. Which is why so few get sick. But they aren't not saying it either.

3) They need a lot more time to get the full story.

Now that's not the sexiest headline to have I guess, but still.

Maybe I interpreted it wrong, as I only heard it briefly while working.

Either way I find the fact that AZ in Norway refuse to comment on it until EMA has said it's piece, that's hilariously bad PR. You know AZ will just ignore it if EMA says the greater good "keep vaccinating" policy applies.

I can't see AZ being used in Norway again though. Not after this. That vaccine is done. More for you guys.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

4 hours ago, blandy said:

There’s no contract between the European and UK govts. It’s not a national thing. The uk, well before the EU had got off it’s arse, gave AZ a ton of money to develop a vaccine and contracted that if/when they found one and it got approval, that any made in the uk, the uk would have first dibs on. The uk also agreed contracts with overseas based suppliers. Those suppliers as per contract, deliver to the uk.

Much later, the EU approved the AZ vaccine and wanted to contract them. “Deliver us loads of vaccines” and what AZ said back was “ok, we’ll do our best, but some is already spoken for”. “Yeah, cool” said the EU.

But because the EU has been incompetent, slow, beaurocratic, etc they’ve got loads of stick from their voters and population. So they’re doing the nationalism thing, making out like they (the EU) give us stuff (they don’t) but the uk govt isn’t doing likewise (true, but there’s no contract or arrangement between the EU and uk ). Everyone wants more doses. The contracts are between companies and governments, not between the EU and UK.

I’ve been searching for a genuine, good-faith argument in defence of the EU stance. Still can’t find one. I’m struggling to get my head around the UK not being the asshole for once. ;)

• Like 3

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-moderna-idUSKBN2BA15S

LONDON (Reuters) - Moderna expects to deliver its first COVID-19 vaccines to Britain in April and is on track to meet its supply obligations, a spokesman for the company said after ministers warned the vaccine rollout would be slower than hoped.

“Moderna expect to begin deliveries to the UK in April, within the spring delivery window previously communicated. Moderna is on track to meet quarterly contractual commitments,” a spokesman for the U.S. biotech company said.

• Like 1

Headlines on sky news about seeking help immediately if you’ve had a headache for 4 days after the jab.

They’re doing really well to increase uptake on this aren’t they or should we actually be worried for good reason? 

I’ve just had a text from my docs to book my vaccination (38, asthmatic) but I’m torn on what to do.

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Headlines on sky news about seeking help immediately if you’ve had a headache for 4 days after the jab.

They’re doing really well to increase uptake on this aren’t they or should we actually be worried for good reason? 

I’ve just had a text from my docs to book my vaccination (38, asthmatic) but I’m torn on what to do.

Well, you can put yourself in a position where you are less likely to die than by getting on an aeroplane and take the vaccine, or you can put yourself in a position where you are more likely to die than by getting on an aeroplane and don't take the vaccine.

• Like 1

Lot of my female friends have been posting about how it's strange that this is a huge issue while the much higher blood clot rate for women taking birth control pills seem to be a non issue.

Just to be clear they are not saying this vaccine thing isn't an issue but rather that more should be done to make the birth control pills safer.

• Like 3

Â