The Royal Family

Genie

You’re always going to have the rich and the poor . No amount of selling crowns  or golden horse carriages will ever cure that . I’m afraid life isn’t like that, I’m sure there are better ways to bridge the gap . You could point your finger at a lot of stuff and say well if we didn’t do that and done this it would help the poor. Even ourselves are guilty of wasting money that doesn’t benefit anything and we just do it because we can.  That’s no argument not to have the monarchy. 

• Thanks 1

Wiping out the monarchy, the royal purse, associated financial burdens, none of this will solve poverty. None of it, but it can help. As the phrase goes, which was also wasted on people 2 and a half years ago, one of a number of measures. 

Steph raises some good points. We’ll always have the history, so that’s good. Going forwards we keep the Royals, fine, but does it have to be so insanely opulent? Solid gold everything, palaces, castles, thousands of servants and it’s all paid for by someone else.

How about we rein it in? Sell off lots of the land, the buildings, some of hoards of gold that is getting polished 3 times a day. 

And then they pay their share of tax too on their earnings and when they die and pass it down. 

I think in 2023 there is a middle ground between pumping public money into this billionaire family and scrapping it entirely. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's probably an argument for them to pay their fair share in **** tax though. HMRC will come for your nan's two bed semi after she dies, but these bastards make themselves immune to the kind of taxes the rest of us have to put up with.

In practice, I couldn't give a toss about the royals, their existence doesn't affect me one bit day to day, and on the national level, the cost of them, whether that's a positive or negative, is utterly inconsequential. But ideologically their existence is a stain on the country for me. The idea this bunch of pricks are the **** god-chosen heads of state? Better than the rest of us so we should bow and sing and obviously they deserve to be covered in gold and live in palaces? **** off. 

Its not just the tax either, there's a few hundred laws Charles is now exempt from in his capacity as private land/business owners (not the public 'sovereign' role) including those relating to workers rights.

And thats just the stuff that has been found out over the years, i bet there's loads of other stuff that they've managed to get exemptions from that ultimately is to benefit them financially at the expense of others, but it wont be available to see for decades due to supposed national security or something.

So much for their 'duty to the country' they always go on about. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

everyone gets a go is my shout. Draw it after the lottery numbers. King/Queen for a week.

Except Blue noses 

After witnessing the over the top events of the last few days, I keep coming back to one question? What does the royal family actually do for us that actually makes a difference?

We're expected to be happy and swear allegiance, but what is the benefit to us plebs? It seems they get all the benefit whilst giving nothing to the working people.

Throughout my life I've been fairly royalist, I served in the Army for 6 years, but the older I get the more inherited power really bothers me. The rules and traditions we have in place for the royals seems only to benefit the already rich and powerful.

I heard mentioned many times that the celebration was supposed to be an important morale booster for the country. But why do we need that booster? Imho is because there's never been greater inequality. Inequality in many forms, especially wealth. And Charles and co are the personification of that wealth inequality. And they don't do a thing to help.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

You’re always going to have the rich and the poor . No amount of selling crowns  or golden horse carriages will ever cure that . I’m afraid life isn’t like that, I’m sure there are better ways to bridge the gap . You could point your finger at a lot of stuff and say well if we didn’t do that and done this it would help the poor. Even ourselves are guilty of wasting money that doesn’t benefit anything and we just do it because we can.  That’s no argument not to have the monarchy. 

There's people in this world much richer than the monarchy too.

11 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

After witnessing the over the top events of the last few days, I keep coming back to one question? What does the royal family actually do for us that actually makes a difference?

We're expected to be happy and swear allegiance, but what is the benefit to us plebs? It seems they get all the benefit whilst giving nothing to the working people.

Throughout my life I've been fairly royalist, I served in the Army for 6 years, but the older I get the more inherited power really bothers me. The rules and traditions we have in place for the royals seems only to benefit the already rich and powerful.

I heard mentioned many times that the celebration was supposed to be an important morale booster for the country. But why do we need that booster? Imho is because there's never been greater inequality. Inequality in many forms, especially wealth. And Charles and co are the personification of that wealth inequality. And they don't do a thing to help.

You need to do your research, not heard of the princes trust for example.

As for avoiding taxes, I think we should concentrate on the multibillion pound companies and personal millionaires who get away with not paying their fair share everyday of the working week.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

There's people in this world much richer than the monarchy too.

I know , I mean where does it end? How about getting the money back from the corrupt charities and also getting back the money pissed away to Africa or wherever where it ended up in the wrong hands. It’s just more royal bashing. It’s a drop in the ocean .

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

You need to do your research, not heard of the princes trust for example.

As for avoiding taxes, I think we should concentrate on the multibillion pound companies and personal millionaires who get away with not paying their fair share everyday of the working week.

Of course I've heard of the princes trust, and the trust does fantastic work. You could call it the Jasper Carrot trust for all I cared though, it's the people that work in it that make it what it is.

My point is that in any point in history the distribution of wealth has always been unequal, never more so than now. An example of this would be that it's been widely reported government money for food banks has been redistributed for the ceremony on the weekend. All because of inherited power.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Of course I've heard of the princes trust, and the trust does fantastic work. You could call it the Jasper Carrot trust for all I cared though, it's the people that work in it that make it what it is.

My point is that in any point in history the distribution of wealth has always been unequal, never more so than now. An example of this would be that it's been widely reported government money for food banks has been redistributed for the ceremony on the weekend. All because of inherited power.

You been on Twitter again. I heard the royal carriage was shined with £15k polish, money which should have went on operations to save 100 puppies. 😂

Poverty is not the royals fault chap, if money wasn't going to the Royals, it'll be used to line the tories pockets anyway.

• Like 1

There are presumably some reasons to keep this family living in a position of unearned wealth and privilege other than "shitcanning them wouldn't singlehandedly solve inequality"? 

Â