The Royal Family

Genie

2 hours ago, blandy said:

The whole "operation" could be scaled back enormously, with benefits for everyone, including the Windsor family themselves. As an absolute minimum the whole thing needs some serious reconfiguring.

Say what you like about Charles, but he does seem to have grasped this. Apparently his plans for a slimmed down royal family were one of the main points of conflict with Harry and Meghan - their children weren’t going to get titles. I think limiting the royals to the children of the current monarch and those in line to the throne does make sense.

Although for me the actual personalities of the Royal family is not the main reason why it needs to be abolished.

Have the pro royal family posters on here considered that for 30 years Andrew was a heartbeat away from being heir to the throne.

Could anyone think that King Andrew and Queen Fergie would be a good idea?The only positive about it would be that it might speed up its eventual demise.

26 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

Although for me the actual personalities of the Royal family is not the main reason why it needs to be abolished.

Have the pro royal family posters on here considered that for 30 years Andrew was a heartbeat away from being heir to the throne.

Could anyone think that King Andrew and Queen Fergie would be a good idea?The only positive about it would be that it might speed up its eventual demise.

Instead we have King Charles III, Monarch of the MiddleEastern bung

Hep the nonce is worse but Charles is hardly Mr Squeeky Clean himself

1 hour ago, Only2McInallys said:

Indeed. The common retort is "better than president Boris/Truss/Blair", but really?

Given the choice, I'll take a short-term self-serving bellend we get to pick rather than a bellend for life, born into the right family. Added to that, with the only real role of our monarchs is to be publicly seen but not heard, and modern British politics trending towards the cult of leader personalities, head to head debates, etc, the PM becoming more and more "presidential" so we're basically ending up with the worst of both worlds anyway. 

An elected president with term limits also probably wouldn't have the stealth influence in the background, kept as far from prying eyes as possible.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Indeed. The common retort is "better than president Boris/Truss/Blair", but really?

Given the choice, I'll take a short-term self-serving bellend we get to pick rather than a bellend for life, born into the right family. Added to that, with the only real role of our monarchs is to be publicly seen but not heard, and modern British politics trending towards the cult of leader personalities, head to head debates, etc, the PM becoming more and more "presidential" so we're basically ending up with the worst of both worlds anyway. 

An elected president with term limits also probably wouldn't have the stealth influence in the background, kept as far from prying eyes as possible.

Yes agree.The other thing that is not often mentioned is that Royal family members could stand in any presidential election.I would have no problem with the Queen as president and she would probably have won any election but it wouldn’t automatically pass to her children and she could be removed.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Only2McInallys said:

I would have no problem with the Queen as president and she would probably have won any election 

This is really interesting to think about. You think about her vs Truss and yeah, it does seem like the election would be weeks of politicians running their mouths and tying themselves in knots, only for Buckingham Palace to say "our candidate has no comment to make, but we will remind you that she's the Queen". Absolute landslide.

Public opinion would inevitably have changed when the Queen was a figure that could be publicly debated with and criticised rather than a silent unaccountable figure with very few publicly disclosed opinions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

As I mentioned in the Relationships thread, it's our wedding anniversary today, and we're having a mini break up in N. Yorks/NE coast. So, we're in the hotel restaurant, and at 8.00pm they announce a minute's silence and ask us to stand. Sigh. OK.

Only thing was, they forgot to turn off the piped music... 

"Today is gonna be the day that they're gonna throw it back to you now..." 

Deliciously farcical. 

We all need a break now and again, bit harsh to do it on your anniversary though. 😆

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

What we gonna do tomorrow with this on all day, plus replays.

I'll probably have to do a bit of work. 

Our teams in India are working as normal so I'll need to speak to them on a few things. Hopefully they can catch up on some paperwork of mine!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

It might be an unflattering image but she looks like she could be his mum

I was just thinking that! 

Jack using the death of a Monarch as a ruse to rattle the back doors of an older woman. 

• Haha 1

Â