The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

Can't agree with "she didn't buckle", but this gives some perspective to the frosty atmosphere for Swinson compared to the others. It does explain why there were quite so many scots in the Sheffield audience. 

The thing is Swinson did face a hostile audience but that hostility was largely a pretty reasonable one. They put forward pretty obvious criticism of her and her party's position, especially when contrasted to history they both have, that doesn't reflect well on her or them. And she was completely flummoxed by it. I mean... A question like 'you will ban fracking, but you cheered it through when given the chance last time' is a pretty straight question of her standing. It's an awkward question but it's not unreasonable, and she completely bollocksed it.

Contrast to Corbyn where the second question he gets is 'you terrify me', which I'm not sure is a question, followed by a man just about preventing himself from leaping out of the chair and tearing his throat out heavily implying he's a threat to women.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The thing is Swinson did face a hostile audience but that hostility was largely a pretty reasonable one. They put forward pretty obvious criticism of her and her party's position, especially when contrasted to history they both have, that doesn't reflect well on her or them. And she was completely flummoxed by it. I mean... A question like 'you will ban fracking, but you cheered it through when given the chance last time' is a pretty straight question of her standing. It's an awkward question but it's not unreasonable, and she completely bollocksed it.

Contrast to Corbyn where the second question he gets is 'you terrify me', which I'm not sure is a question, followed by a man just about preventing himself from leaping out of the chair and tearing his throat out heavily implying he's a threat to women.

Corbyn had a bit of a mixed bag. There was that nutter completely misrepresenting the video he was talking about and that guy going on about Bolivia, but then there were a couple that were essentially "St Jeremy, how is it that you're so great?" .

I think Swinson died on her arse, came across as incredibly phoney and probably cost her party a significant number of voters. She'll be gone in a few weeks, without a doubt, but the ringing silence when she finished speaking was at least as much to do with the fact there were essentially no supporters there for her as it was due to what she actually said, IMO. Even on answers where Corbyn or Johnson stumbled or didn't answer the question they got good solid rounds of applause from the party stooges in the crowd.

It's a bizarre way of selecting the audience.

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It’s pretty standard, I’ve been invited along on previous QT’s a few years ago as part of a panellist’s ‘allocation’.

I was even given a suggested question I might like to submit for random selection. I don’t think that’s any sort of secret.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I found it odd there was a South African asking questions about the UK election. Maybe he's a naturalized citizen?

Quite a few South Africans have UK links. And then a bunch came over and settled when South Africa became less racist than they'd like it to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Corbyn had a bit of a mixed bag. There was that nutter completely misrepresenting the video he was talking about and that guy going on about Bolivia, but then there were a couple that were essentially "St Jeremy, how is it that you're so great?" .

I think Swinson died on her arse, came across as incredibly phoney and probably cost her party a significant number of voters. She'll be gone in a few weeks, without a doubt, but the ringing silence when she finished speaking was at least as much to do with the fact there were essentially no supporters there for her as it was due to what she actually said, IMO. Even on answers where Corbyn or Johnson stumbled or didn't answer the question they got good solid rounds of applause from the party stooges in the crowd.

Again I don't really like the audiences being there if they can't control themselves any more or get infiltrated by stooges.  It's like an overspill from social media.  Yes these debates shouldn't be too sanitised either but there comes a point where it becomes a farce.  It certainly didn't seem this bad when they started in 2010.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s pretty standard, I’ve been invited along on previous QT’s a few years ago as part of a panellist’s ‘allocation’.

I was even given a suggested question I might like to submit for random selection. I don’t think that’s any sort of secret.

It's not people being invited and screened I find bizarre, I just think it's a bit daft they're using the FPTP numbers for it. It's all the drawbacks of our non-representative electoral system without any of the arguments in favour.

An extra handful wouldn't have helped Swinson much, I just think it's an odd way of doing it. Lib Dems are polling at what, about 15% at the moment? And they get 2 seats in the crowd?

Edited by Davkaus

26 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’m intrigued, do people genuinely think we will see any difference should we have a new PM?

As in Corybn instead of Johnson? Crikey the difference would be night and day. It won't happen though, the Conservatives are set for a landslide victory.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

As in Corybn instead of Johnson? Crikey the difference would be night and day. It won't happen though, the Conservatives are set for a landslide victory.

I know they both have different ideals, but it seems that whoever is in charge we just get the same bullshit throughout. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I know they both have different ideals, but it seems that whoever is in charge we just get the same bullshit throughout. 

I won't pretend to be a neutral commentator, but the two main parties are about as far away from each other politically than they ever have been in my lifetime. 

The Conservatives have made a right mess of the country. A different PM means a different government. 

• Like 1