The other other white meat

sne

So, any takers?

It's bound the be the only resource in abundance in a not too distant future.

Me, I'm not really feeling any cravings of that sort :D 

The suggestion: Eat human flesh for the sake of climate

Ants, worms and cats are some suggestions on what could be tomorrow's climate-smart dishes.

But what about human flesh?

- The idea is to challenge the idea of tomorrow's food, says behavioral scientist Magnus Söderlund.

Eating human flesh and insects instead of traditional food products is something that was discussed at the Gastro Summit food fair in Stockholm this week.

- The study aims to challenge the idea of what we can think of to eat, but also to raise the idea of sustainability, says behavioral scientist Magnus Söderlund.

Varying reactions

Participants were given a picture of a meat product and answered the question of whether they could eat it. The issue was repeated a number of times for different origins of the meat. Eight percent of the participants could imagine eating the meat that came from a human.

- I've had several reactions. Many e-mails saying that I should go out into the jungle and get eaten myself. It is so very easy to respond directly and say that it is disgusting, it is taboo to talk about it. The idea is to challenge the idea of tomorrow's food.

Eating insects is seen as a climate-smart alternative to meat. In Sweden, it is still prohibited to sell insects as food today.

- In several other parts of the world you eat insects but not in Sweden yet. This is due both to legislation but also because we are quite negative about the idea of eating insects, says Magnus Söderlund.

"Would be incredibly small-scale"

- If it should be relevant to start eating human meat, it would be incredibly small-scale. It probably would have worked the same way as donating an organ.

Although the proposal would become a reality, Magnus Söderlund is hesitant to eat himself.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/rAbqkw/forslaget-at-manniskokott-for-klimatets-skull

Long as they adopt the proposal suggested with animals whereby you can see  a picture of them alive and happy  on the packaging   ,would be comedy gold to be able to tuck into a  clown and then say to someone  does this taste funny to you ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Reminds me of a question I had put to me in a pub once - if you were offered a piece of human meat, and had been guarenteed that it wasn't the product of a murder or any other traditionally unethical process, would you eat it? Like say, someone synthesised 'long pig' meat in a lab...

Just now, Ingram85 said:

Nope. 

However, is it purely psychological or is there a science based fact as to why it would be bad for us physically?

I thought the general rule was don't eat meat that eats other meat ..so presumably we'd have to eat vegans   ...i'm warming to the idea already

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

I thought humans would some-how "go mental" if they ate other human meat.  As in, there's something chemically which doesn't agree with us and makes us go doolally. 

I eat my own bogies sometimes, does that count? 

you're fine  , there's no evidence it makes you mental

idsnose.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Nope. 

However, is it purely psychological or is there a science based fact as to why it would be bad for us physically?

You may find reading up on "Kuru"  of interest. Short version, just eat the normal bits like rib and leg, and you might be fine. 

21 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Nope. 

There's an increased risk of disease I believe, basically because animal born diseases are less likely to transfer to a different species, whereas eating human meat would be within the species obviously. Of course there are famous exceptions to that but generally it's the case.

21 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I thought humans would some-how "go mental" if they ate other human meat.  As in, there's something chemically which doesn't agree with us and makes us go doolally. 

I eat my own bogies sometimes, does that count? 

Eating humans wouldn't inherently drive you insane. There would be psychological issues for many people if they were obviously eating their fellow man, as it crosses a taboo, but if, for instance, you fed someone meals telling them it was pork they would'nt go mad.

There is the theory of 'wendigo psychosis', which was supposedly a mental disorder affecting Native Americans where they had been drawn to eating human meat even when other food sources were available, generally after having cannibalised  someone through necessity. Some would contend this is why some Native American tribes would not resort to cannibalism under any circumstances, but there's a fair amount of thought that the theory was nonsense.

Â