Cameron Archer

Zatman

12 hours ago, zab6359 said:

To many posters saying ‘he must’ or ‘he deserves’ a chance not as simple as that there’s a difference between a decent championship loan spell and playing well in a development league compared to top flight PL football.

Not saying it won’t happen but we need to have faith in the coaching staff making the right decision here we are a top 7 side aiming higher, no room for ‘giving someone minutes’ at this level. We need players able to step up when needed.

I hope we aren’t over hyping him like we have with so many in the past.

He's scored goals for us in the league cup, that header down at Chelsea was top class and they had an experienced backline out that night.

Also scored at nice ratio for England under 21s so to me he's on similar level to Eddie Nketieh who played a fair bit for Arsenal from xmas last season.

I can't see any logic in loaning or even selling him and just keeping Duran as the main CF back up, he's the one in need of a loan and 20 starts somewhere.

Ollie may be a bionic man but even he will probably break down at some point if we were genuinely thinking of starting him in a europa game and then asking him to go again less than 72 hours later. At some point in the season we'll need smart rotation at CF so would be much more confident with Archer coming in given what he's achieved in last 18 months.

Fans would get right behind him aswell given he's come through the ranks and feels our best young striking prospect since Agbonlahor.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Lots of agreement here. 

Anyone here think he should go back out on loan?  And I mean from now, rather than the crystal ball gazing for January.

I don’t think he should go back out on loan. Nor do I want him to.

IF he were to though, it would have to be a premier league side. I can’t see any reason in him going to another championship side, we know he can perform at that level. We’re not going to learn any more and it probably won’t benefit Archer’s game. There would at least be some merit in seeing if he could pull up any trees in the top flight before he features for us. And it would be valuable experience for Archer.

That being said, and to reiterate, if you gave me the choice of having him around the first team/match day squad or loaning him out to a premier league side, I’d choose to keep him here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Lots of agreement here. 

Anyone here think he should go back out on loan?  And I mean from now, rather than the crystal ball gazing for January.

I think it's pretty straight forward, he'll be given pre-season, where Emery will assess if he trusts him to be part of the squad or not.

I would also consider, if emery doesnt trust him, if we should sell him whilst his stock is high, he'll be 22 in January, an unsuccesfull loan would destroy his market value.

5 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

The header against Chelsea was Bierhoffesque maybe les ferdinandesque . The kid is special his improvement has been nothing short of sensational. 

Bierhoff .. what a blast from the past.

He's got a lot in him that you could pick from any number of great strikers of the past.

Across his first team career to date, hes got 26 goals in 49 games worth of minutes. He's also got 8 assists. 

A goal involvement every 1.4 games. And only last season's appearances were at a club that was competing towards the top of its league.

Really is time to see what he can do at the PL level. Hopefully with us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Lots of agreement here. 

If he has to surely has to be a premier league club. He'd certainly get lots of starts at Everton currently.

Don't see the point though and I think he'd be asking the club what more can I do given how his previous two have gone.

I know which one of Duran and Archer needs a loan in next 12 months to stake a serious claim of first team spot and it isn't Cam imo.

19 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I know which one of Duran and Archer needs a loan in next 12 months to stake a serious claim of first team spot and it isn't Cam imo.

Yeah, I would be surprised if Duran would superse Archers goals and assist ratio in the Championship 

14 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Every conceivable type of finish on show there.  Proper 8 minute compilation full of great goals and assists. 

Precisely, my point.......what does he have to do, anymore, than he's doing?

Personally, I love what I see, when I am watching Cam.

I think him and Ollie will form a telepathic relationship

Edited by TRO

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He's scored goals for us in the league cup, that header down at Chelsea was top class and they had an experienced backline out that night.

Also scored at nice ratio for England under 21s so to me he's on similar level to Eddie Nketieh who played a fair bit for Arsenal from xmas last season.

I can't see any logic in loaning or even selling him and just keeping Duran as the main CF back up, he's the one in need of a loan and 20 starts somewhere.

Ollie may be a bionic man but even he will probably break down at some point if we were genuinely thinking of starting him in a europa game and then asking him to go again less than 72 hours later. At some point in the season we'll need smart rotation at CF so would be much more confident with Archer coming in given what he's achieved in last 18 months.

Fans would get right behind him aswell given he's come through the ranks and feels our best young striking prospect since Agbonlahor.

I  just feel it in my water, that CA will be a revelation, with the amount of creative talent we have.....A quality winger and Cam and Ollie can be prolific.

His physicality, will only grow ( fill out)with age, and his nous around the box, (already good IMO) will only improve with the confidence in his surroundings.

I think Cam is an exciting player, and you can clearly see, his under 21 mates, rate him highly.....if he was another clubs player, many of us would be delighted if we signed him.

Ps I know a 'Borough fan who tells me they love him up there, and would love to sign him, and I think Preston fans thinks the same......Ivan Toney and Ollie did the step up, why not Cam in the Prem?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Every conceivable type of finish on show there.  Proper 8 minute compilation full of great goals and assists. 

What can anyone not like about that.

Quick in movement and thinking, great feet, composure and above all a natural ability to score....We need to act, to keep him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

The header against Chelsea was Bierhoffesque maybe les ferdinandesque . The kid is special his improvement has been nothing short of sensational. 

ditto.

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Lots of agreement here. 

No....definately not....and don't even think about selling.

What needs proving, has been proved, in terms of deserving a chance....his next test is where it matters in the big league, and he will learn there too.....but thats where his next learning has to be done.

He will grow in the Premier environment, just like Gordon, Elliot, Smith-Rowe and Gibbs White have....This boy is in their company, but hasn't had the chances they have, at the top level....That is not a criticism, just circumstances.

He has gone out on Loan and excelled, he is playing in an International team bracing a European final and excelled.....He has earn't his Spurs....its his time now, to be given that final Hurdle, big chance, to shine

I have been watching football at this level for over 60 odd years( that doesn't make me right about everything, bye the way).....This boy has it....WE just need to believe in him a bit more, and he WILL deliver.

fortunately for us....He himself has great belief.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chicken Field said:

I think it's pretty straight forward, he'll be given pre-season, where Emery will assess if he trusts him to be part of the squad or not.

I would also consider, if emery doesnt trust him, if we should sell him whilst his stock is high, he'll be 22 in January, an unsuccesfull loan would destroy his market value.

I fear, if we sell him, we will regret it....thats how confident, I am of his ability.

• Like 3

I think we need to show him he has a future here, there is a clear path to the first team and he’s on the verge of that. Loyalty works both ways and we don’t want him to get picked up by another PL team, as if we don’t give him that assurance then someone else will in my opinion.

If he keeps developing at this rate he’ll have a fine career. Some of his runs and shots remind me of Yorke… not the same physical stature obviously but something about how he runs and his shooting style…

Edited by alreadyexists

My Archer lowdown has some negatives and positives, or what could be read as negatives, but it's mostly positive and I say I why I think next season is a big opportunity for him.

People are in danger of overrating Archer and putting too much pressure on him, I watched as many of his games as possible whilst he was out on loan, and to be honest in a lot of those other than his goals he was very quiet, if he put those performances in for us there would be people on his case, Aaron Ramsey was far more the standout player, so much so that if it wasn't for his injury I think there's a good chance that Middlesbrough would be in the Premier Leauge now, and it's not just me being biased saying that I've seen Middlesbrough fans say similar, his creativity was a massive miss, but don't see nearly as many people saying Ramsey should be given a chance as I see it being said of Archer.

My point isn't that Archer was bad, in fact overall he was very good, but talk of him being as good or better than Watkins was in in the Championship is way over the top it's not even close, and no shame in that Watkins was probably the best player in Championship in his final season.

Why I think next season is a big opportunity for him

He's a late bloomer from the academy that's earned his chance with the first team, even if he just turns out to be someone who can come off the bench and be a goal threat that still could be a very valuable option, I'm pretty sure he will get his chance this coming season, if he fails to impress he can be loan out to the Champinship in January where he will do his thing and we can get some money next summer, but I think he can do well for us, if we can have a few runs in the cup competitions I wouldn't put it passed him to get double figures.

And one final thing

I think a way in which he's underrated is his ability to run with the ball, he's played most of his football as a winger, or wide forward, so I think that side of his game goes underapprecaited, he's very creative in his own way coming from wide areas, he wouldn't be as good defensively as Jacob, but I think could probably play a similar role, he has done already, just not at Premier League level.

He's earned his chancs, lets see how he does, not expecting miracles, but wouldn't put it past him to do well.

• Like 2

Â