Cameron Archer

Zatman

10 hours ago, TRO said:

He needs to stay in and around the first team and integrate in to the Premier League.

He will learn more, given more minutes, in the first team....has to be given a chance...with UE's touch.

I don't know what more he has to do, to be given a chance......35 goals in 90 games= 2.57

We could be signing players with worse records......sure the quality of defender is higher, but so is the quality of service to him, too.

If he was at another club, we would be happy to sign him.

He has a clinical composure, in front of goal....its rare.

Totally agree, I am around your age TRO and we can both remember Brian Little coming through the youth team and what a player he was for us. 

Its time for Villa to give the support and opportunity (with some risk) to enable our young players to progress. I would love to see Archer given the chance to shine and I am sure with UE at the helm he will. But he has to be given the chance.

Can you imagine the Villa without Sir Brian Little and what he did for us? and Villa gave him the opportunity...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, thunderball said:

Archer and Ramsey could be our future. It’s difficult to give the necessary minutes to youngsters in the premier league, but he just needs that break and early confidence goal for it all to click.

He looks like he could well have enough and his finishing really is becoming exceptional.

This is the thing isnt it, being able to afford him time. The goals would come I'm sure. He's been one goal in two games in pretty much everything other than premier league. Championship, cups, international etc. 

• Like 1

To many posters saying ‘he must’ or ‘he deserves’ a chance not as simple as that there’s a difference between a decent championship loan spell and playing well in a development league compared to top flight PL football.

Not saying it won’t happen but we need to have faith in the coaching staff making the right decision here we are a top 7 side aiming higher, no room for ‘giving someone minutes’ at this level. We need players able to step up when needed.

I hope we aren’t over hyping him like we have with so many in the past.

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Where are you getting 35 goals in 90 games from? It's also always better to do goals or goal contributions per minute, than goals per app.

Wiki......but if you measure others by the same yardstick, it doesn't matter.....its a thumb rule, thats all.

There are many comparisons made using "Appearances" as opposed to minutes...its subjective.

its a guide, not a forensic analysis.

2 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

This boy just scores goals no matter the level you put him at, he has to be giving the premier league/ euro conference a fair crack next season, it’s the only logical step up for him. there isn’t a more perfect understudy to Ollie. Over time, a potential replacement. 

essentially Villa’s striker situation is my ideal player set up.. senior player, younger understudy getting ready to replace and the next understudy (Rory Wilson) in the academy. 

3 level Conveyor belt development. Why spend 30-60m on ready made players when you can pay £5m and develop them yourself. 

But we also have Duran in there. Who's a needless extra in the Archer mould. Sure he looks like he had potential to be a world beater, but it's a long way off and it's a conflict we have to manage at the moment. 

I feel like we need One more experienced head up front to be ideal.. 

Either a 30 something striker happy to play backup but proven to be capable playing every game with a respectable return if Watkins gets injured. Or a second striker signed to play the Bailey role, that could fill in if Watkins got injured. 

That is tricky for us because the system is quite niche and that kind of player is going to cost a lot of money whatever we sign. My preference is for the latter. Then in the unlikely event Watkins gets injured,  the new SS goes to forward, and Bailey comes back in as SS.

In the above scenario, Archer can be the preferred sub, and if he hits the ground running in the prem he becomes the new striker anyway, and then everyone else reverts back to their role as if Watkins  was still leading the line. 

It's an unlikely scenario but I wouldn't want to be relying on Archer or Duran if Watkins got injured. They might be ok, but it's too big a gamble

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

To offer offer another cliche, he comes alive in the box. But what is his play like elsewhere? Does he link up well, hold the ball up etc? From the videos (what is a ‘bagsman’ btw?) he looks like a finisher but our system relies on the centre forward being able to do more 

He creates more than ollie ever did in the championship. Obviously not anywhere near as good in the air. But stretches defencesike crazy with his running and is very good with his back against the defender as he's very strong and got a good base. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Wiki......but if you measure others by the same yardstick, it doesn't matter.....its a thumb rule, thats all.

There are many comparisons made using "Appearances" as opposed to minutes...its subjective.

its a guide, not a forensic analysis.

Yes there are, but unless the players are playing more or less the same minutes across the same number of apps, it's ALWAYS better to go per minute.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

But we also have Duran in there. Who's a needless extra in the Archer mould. Sure he looks like he had potential to be a world beater, but it's a long way off and it's a conflict we have to manage at the moment. 

I feel like we need One more experienced head up front to be ideal.. 

Either a 30 something striker happy to play backup but proven to be capable playing every game with a respectable return if Watkins gets injured. Or a second striker signed to play the Bailey role, that could fill in if Watkins got injured. 

That is tricky for us because the system is quite niche and that kind of player is going to cost a lot of money whatever we sign. My preference is for the latter. Then in the unlikely event Watkins gets injured,  the new SS goes to forward, and Bailey comes back in as SS.

In the above scenario, Archer can be the preferred sub, and if he hits the ground running in the prem he becomes the new striker anyway, and then everyone else reverts back to their role as if Watkins  was still leading the line. 

It's an unlikely scenario but I wouldn't want to be relying on Archer or Duran if Watkins got injured. They might be ok, but it's too big a gamble

Duran isn’t ready for the prem, unfortunately. Archer however… needs/ deserves a crack at it. 

Right now, there’s no big gamble. Preseason will show if he can cut it. I believe he will 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Duran isn’t ready for the prem, unfortunately. Archer however… needs/ deserves a crack at it. 

Right now, there’s no big gamble. Preseason will show if he can cut it. I believe he will 

Duran mat not have been ready in january but a full summer of training, turning 20 and he could be ready by next Jan. 

23 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The kid's a natural goalscorer, and that's a rare talent. Keep him here. 

can't put it any better.

This is an observation not a criticism.....but I feel because he has come from the academy, he is having to prove himself, too much....Its clear he is a natural.

This boy will, improve, even more around the first team....I feel sure of it.....There are things he has to learn, but the business of putting the ball in the net, he has it.

Just watching him play, its easy to see, he has a natural nose for goal.....There are elements of his game that will improve, when he plays in the first team, just like Jacob has....but he has to be given a chance.

He is playing in a high level of international football, with players, with bigger transfer fee's attached to them and he is excelling in their company.

I hope, we don't send him out on loan, and sign someone, no better for big money.....His goal scoring rate is impressive, we need to harness it....and he seems in sync with Jacob.

We have to start giving these boys a run out.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, zab6359 said:

To many posters saying ‘he must’ or ‘he deserves’ a chance not as simple as that there’s a difference between a decent championship loan spell and playing well in a development league compared to top flight PL football.

Not saying it won’t happen but we need to have faith in the coaching staff making the right decision here we are a top 7 side aiming higher, no room for ‘giving someone minutes’ at this level. We need players able to step up when needed.

I hope we aren’t over hyping him like we have with so many in the past.

I agree, we have to trust the coaching staff......but there is a danger, we are under estimating him, too.

I think he has done enough already, to be given a chance.....His scoring rate is impressive, and every time, he plays, he looks a threat....every time he scores, his technique is impressive....He has an accurate shot and he is sharp around the box.

some Players in the international team, are playing in the Prem and are not out shining him, he looks in good company and Not out of place.

He will not fine tune his skill set, until he mixes with the Premier League players.

He has to stay with us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Look at Jacob Ramsey, he was not the player he is now, when he first came in to the team...he has developed, and developed damn well....but he was given that all important chance.

Cam deserves the same opportunity as Jacob has had.....He deserves it.

Goal scoring is a damn hard thing to do, and he shows composure, when hes doing it......sure his hold up play needs working on, but blimey, his eye in front of goal is impressive.

I feel frustrated with this lad, because I don't know, what some expect him to do to convince them....He will be the real deal, given the opportunity.

I sincerely hope we don't dither and see another club capitalise on his potential....but I think its more than potential, he's ready for the call.

Good points. He is developing just like JJ albeit in the league below.. first half season on loan scores 7 in 20.  

Second on loan at boro . 11 goals in 20 PLUS 6 assists.

By his mid 20s Cam will be assisting as many as he scores imo  . And he will be scoring plenty. A double threat.  He can play with his head up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â