Cameron Archer

Zatman

I think " Borofaninpeace" makes some sound observations of Cam.

For me he is not the finished article, but I cannot fail to be taken by the execution of his goal scoring....I don't want him leaving us.

Like the Boro fan, I see Defoe in him or a budding Calum Wilson.

I also agree with the observations of his hold up play and the view he goes missing for periods of a game.....This is an Area where Ollie Watkins excells, but sometimes doesn't get the due credit.

I think he is still learning, but he has to learn in the Prem now, and polish up his weaknesses in and around Premier League players, ...You can't keep learning certain things in lower leagues, you have to do it where it happens.

I would favour him, staying with us now....if he can add some of the aforementioned shortfalls, he can be a top player......He has mastered the hardest bit, finishing.....he just needs polishing up, and coaching the bits he lacks.

I say keep him, with us.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

He has mastered the hardest bit, finishing.....he just needs polishing up, and coaching the bits he lacks.

I say keep him, with us.

Regarding Ollie and Archer, You could argue that their weaknesses are the very thing the other excels at. 

So they could probably both learn a lot from each other. 

28 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Right so I guess AJ, Archer, Tim O and JJ tick that box.

Tim Iroegbunam isn’t home grown, he was signed from West Brom and then loaned out so not trained by Villa for 3years before turning 21. 

Not sure AJ is ready to step up to PL level, could do with another spell in the championship as last year was disrupted with injuries and changes clubs, unless he has a brilliant preseason of course.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we have a smaller squad than people are expecting, 23 named players (Ramsey + Archer as homegrown (I think I read Sinasalo is being loaned out - he would class as a HG player)), with Marschall as 3rd choice keeper as an underage player along with a few other kids on the bench 

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

What are the home grown rules for the ECL?

Villa comes first I know but I wouldn't want to hold back his career just to tick a box if Emery/Villa don't think he will make it at this level.

It's irrelevant the squad is big enough in the permitted non home grown players for the tournament

If we only had JJ for Club Trained we'd have a squad of 22 players. 

List B is any player who was born earlier than 1st Jan 2001 and we can put unlimited on that list. So as many young players as we want as long as they have been here for 2 years since they were 15yo

So my guess is we'll have 23 on list A (JJ and Cam) and not the max of 25. We'll then list all our youth players who qualify for List B

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It's irrelevant the squad is big enough in the permitted non home grown players for the tournament

If we only had JJ for Club Trained we'd have a squad of 22 players. 

List B is any player who was born earlier than 1st Jan 2001 and we can put unlimited on that list. So as many young players as we want as long as they have been here for 2 years since they were 15yo

So my guess is we'll have 23 on list A (JJ and Cam) and not the max of 25. We'll then list all our youth players who qualify for List B

yep, you can leave spaces rather than declare a HG player

in theory we can name 21 players + 4 spaces and then play as many youngsters as we like, the PL is the same 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That can't be right.  How is Matty Cash NOT homegrown?!

There are 2 lists for "home grown" association trained and club trained. So Cash would be association trained where Cam would be club trained

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

There are 2 lists for "home grown" association trained and club trained. So Cash would be association trained where Cam would be club trained

Bugger, I've just posted something very related in the UECL thread.

1 GK Sinisalo (CP)
2 LM Ramsey   (CP)
3 FW Archer   (CP)

4 GK Martinez (AP)
5 RB Cash     (AP)
6 CB Konsa    (AP)
7 CB Mings    (AP)
8 CB Chambers (AP)
9 CM Iroegbunam(AP)
10 RM Traore   (AP)
11 FW Watkins  (AP)

12 GK Olsen
13 CB Torres
14 CB Carlos
15 LB Moreno
16 LB Digne
17 CM Kamara
18 CM Dendoncker
19 CM Luiz
20 RM McGinn
21 RM Buendia
22 RM Coutinho
23 RM Bailey
24 FW Duran

4 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I want him in the first team squad so we can see the celebration at VP. Cool af:

giphy.gif

He's got a lot of variations, seen him do it whilst sliding, fully open hand, closed hand

• Like 2

I think we'll be signing a few more and hitting our limit of 21 (anything+4 association trained players). 

I see (in this order) the following players as the ones that are likely to lose their spot from @BOF's list as we sign more: Iroegbunam, Chambers, Olsen, Traore, Duran (if loaned), Dendoncker.

One of them will have to make way for Tielemans already.

We'll want as many as possible named to give us coverage for if we want to go far in local cups and get drawn against some lower quality opposition early on in the conference league.

For this reason, I am certain Archer will be kept around and named to get us closer to the max of 25 we can have.

With only J Ramsey and Archer really being good enough to be worth naming, I think we'll end up with a squad of 23.  24 only if we keep Sinisalo around.

This is why it's important we keep bringing through our own players if we have ambitions of playing in Europe every season. Both for the FFP reasons, and the ability to name a full sized squad.

Edited by MrBlack

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I think we'll be signing a few more and hitting our limit of 21 (anything+4 association trained players). 

I see (in this order) the following players as the ones that are likely to lose their spot from @BOF's list as we sign more: Iroegbunam, Chambers, Olsen, Traore, Duran (if loaned), Dendoncker.

We'll want as many as possible named to give us coverage for if we want to go far in local cups and get drawn against some lower quality opposition early on in the conference league.

For this reason, I am certain Archer will be kept around and named to get us closer to the max of 25 we can have.

With only J Ramsey and Archer really being good enough to be worth naming, I think we'll end up with a squad of 23.  24 only if we keep Sinisalo around.

This is why it's important we keep bringing through our own players if we have ambitions of playing in Europe every season. Both for the FFP reasons, and the ability to name a full sized squad.

That list has adjusted now. Go to this link. There's a B list aswell for players born after 2001.

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

That list has adjusted now. Go to this link. There's a B list aswell for players born after 2001.

Ahhh, that kinda screws my logic... although also doesn't. 

We still don't lose a spot by keeping him around, but we gain a spot we can't use because we don't have anyone else good enough that sits in the club train category.

Wonder if there's enough incentive to keep him rather than loan out in that case. And guess it will also be impacted by what happens with Duran.

43 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Tim has an outside of making it as this level, he has all the attributes to do well, I would say a loan would make most sense for him.

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

Tim has an outside of making it as this level, he has all the attributes to do well, I would say a loan would make most sense for him.

I agree, i just meant in terms of not being included in the squad for Europe.  

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I think " Borofaninpeace" makes some sound observations of Cam.

For me he is not the finished article, but I cannot fail to be taken by the execution of his goal scoring....I don't want him leaving us.

Like the Boro fan, I see Defoe in him or a budding Calum Wilson.

I also agree with the observations of his hold up play and the view he goes missing for periods of a game.....This is an Area where Ollie Watkins excells, but sometimes doesn't get the due credit.

I think he is still learning, but he has to learn in the Prem now, and polish up his weaknesses in and around Premier League players, ...You can't keep learning certain things in lower leagues, you have to do it where it happens.

I would favour him, staying with us now....if he can add some of the aforementioned shortfalls, he can be a top player......He has mastered the hardest bit, finishing.....he just needs polishing up, and coaching the bits he lacks.

I say keep him, with us.

Agree totally. What we have to consider with him is that it is only the last 2 seasons he has been playing as a centre forward. He was so small before then.  Tiny. He wouldnt have had any ability with his hold up play as he could be dominated so easily physically. 

So he is learning on the job as he has turned from boy to man. Its his continuous improvement that impresses me.  He doesnt stagnate. He just incrementally keeps on adding little improvements to his game. Strength awareness passing hold up play and movement. Goalscoring which is the hardest part is the bit that comes easiest to him. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Agree totally. What we have to consider with him is that it is only the last 2 seasons he has been playing as a centre forward. He was so small before then.  Tiny. He wouldnt have had any ability with his hold up play as he could be dominated so easily physically. 

So he is learning on the job as he has turned from boy to man. Its his continuous improvement that impresses me.  He doesnt stagnate. He just incrementally keeps on adding little improvements to his game. Strength awareness passing hold up play and movement. Goalscoring which is the hardest part is the bit that comes easiest to him. 

totally agree.

As things stand he'll be getting plenty of minutes next season and rightly so.

To loan him out yet again or even sell and just keep Duran as back up to January would be a questionable call by Don Unai.

Of course we'll sign some attackers but I think they'll be more replacements in 11 for Bailey and Buendia so Bailey could well be alternate/rotation player and also be an option for CF when situation dictates.

Cam has also done well in a two so not impossible we could have him and Ollie starting some games together especially in europe.

• Like 2

Â