Cameron Archer

Zatman

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

I'd normally agree with what you've said here, but the 5 subs rule changes the landscape. We can give him regular minutes and definitely start him in league cup games. 

This right here.  I suspect a few youngsters who would normally have went on loan might be kept about and get more minutes because of this, Archer and KKH being two examples.  Obviously depends how we set up, if Ings and Watkins both start and are firing blanks then Archer coming off the bench for 15-20 mins every game then re-asses in January if he needs a loan.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, paul514 said:

He needs to go on loan again for a full season to prove himself, 7 goals isn't the next coming of Jesus.

Or get a press season and prove himself... 

I'd be pissed if we dont even look at him in training and pre season this summer, shipping him out on loan before a pre season ball is kicked makes no sense to me 

Not sure why so many on here just want to loan every young player we have 

Watford would be a great club to join if he were to go on Loan. He should be getting 20+ goals there and working for Rob Edwards and Richie Kyle who as the article states have experience in youth development. That bodes well for him. 

It all depends on if Gerrard + team feel Archer would benefit more from the Loan than staying with the first team to get mins. I think for the position, it's best to send strikers out to hone their talents scoring goals. A promotion campaign and 20+ goals season for Watford cold be huge for Archer. Like Watkins / Tammy did in their breakthrough seasons at Brentford and Us

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Watford would be a great club to join if he were to go on Loan. He should be getting 20+ goals there and working for Rob Edwards and Richie Kyle who as the article states have experience in youth development. That bodes well for him. 

It all depends on if Gerrard + team feel Archer would benefit more from the Loan than staying with the first team to get mins. I think for the position, it's best to send strikers out to hone their talents scoring goals. A promotion campaign and 20+ goals season for Watford cold be huge for Archer. Like Watkins / Tammy did in their breakthrough seasons at Brentford and Us

I think a loan at Watford would be great for him too and as mentioned before if he is smashing it by January and our strikers aren’t then we bring him back. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

He only wants to play for one club

spacer.png

One of our own, be great seeing him and Ramsey starting games together. Kesler will be the next one. Cant beat it having fans playing for us. Grealish and Ramsey have shown the way in how to make your mark at your club. I cant see Gerrard not being hugely impressed.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

He’s just done that last season. Its time to step up now imo. Be around better players and prove you will make the grade. He’s 20 now, thats old enough to come in and take your chance imo. He proved it in our first side (Carabao Cup), He proved it in a tough division (C’ship) and he’s just burst onto the u21 scene with 4 in 4 including 2 coming off the bench. Not sure how much more he has to prove at this point. Premier League defenders are a level up granted, but his movement and finishing is good enough, we’ll make chances for him with the talent we have behind him. Its his time, at least I really hope it is.

Completely agree

Also think that if pre season started tomorrow he should be coming in hot, good loan at Preston, the England goals, us not buying another striker, questions over the 2/3 players ahead of him, it's all there for the taking 

If that doesn't put a fire in his belly nothing will

• Like 1

I’m also of the opinion we keep him at Villa and assess him, he’ll get the opportunities provided we don’t sign another striker. The other benefit to him staying is he’ll receive premier league coaching from Gerrard and his team. There’s things that he’ll learn that he just won’t get on loan elsewhere, potentially at least, it does depend where he’s loaned to. 

Edited by It's Your Round
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, paul514 said:

I have no idea why so many people are going on about this lad..... It is way too much pressure.

He needs to go on loan again for a full season to prove himself, 7 goals isn't the next coming of Jesus.

I agree we need to temper the excitement with a little patience, however.

• Preston aren't that great. How many would he have scored in a more dominant attacking team. Fulham for instance? I'm guessing a few more at least, if not double. His hattrick for Villa against Barrow was also very impressive.
  • His pace, power and movement are very, very encouraging. Its natural to him.
  • He's an instinctive, thoroughbred finisher.

And that's just a few reasons. If we sign another striker, we should loan him to the right team. If we don't, well lets see how it goes in preseason but potentially we keep him around until Jan at least.

I think the benefit of being in and around the first team is huge, provided he get minutes in the pitch. 

What I saw of the England U21s match, I thought Jacob Ramsey looked head and shoulders above the rest. His sharpness, decision making, spaces he found around the box, we’re way ahead of those around him. You could just see he had played more games in the Prem than probably all of them. 

If Archer could get that same benefit, because there are no doubts about his finishing, he will be first choice in 2 seasons no questions asked. 

Of course these are my personal opinions and could be absolute bollocks, but I’ve seen a few decent strikers in my time! 

I'm also of the mindset that we should keep him in the first team squad. You'd think that working daily with someone as experienced in the art of goalscoring as Danny Ings will only help enhance his qualities further. I'm super excited by Archer.

Needs to be given a real shot in preseason alongside first team players to see how good he is in a proper team. There’s a huge difference between the PL and championship where the top scorer got 40 goals or against European minnows at u21s, but he has shown a remarkable ability to step up to the next level when given a chance. Think it’s too early to say if he needs a loan or if he can step up until we see more of him in claret and blue - the next 2 months are the perfect opportunity to test him out

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

He’s just done that last season. Its time to step up now imo. Be around better players and prove you will make the grade. He’s 20 now, thats old enough to come in and take your chance imo. He proved it in our first side (Carabao Cup), He proved it in a tough division (C’ship) and he’s just burst onto the u21 scene with 4 in 4 including 2 coming off the bench. Not sure how much more he has to prove at this point. Premier League defenders are a level up granted, but his movement and finishing is good enough, we’ll make chances for him with the talent we have behind him. Its his time, at least I really hope it is.

In theory yeah great but I'm not so sure in reality...Archer won't be starting games ahead of Watkins and Ings.

We'll see how he is in pre-season; my point was that a place on the bench for Archer will stifle him.

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

In theory yeah great but I'm not so sure in reality...Archer won't be starting games ahead of Watkins and Ings.

We'll see how he is in pre-season; my point was that a place on the bench for Archer will stifle him.

Not initially no, he’d start on the bench, but he’ll be backing himself to make the type of impact when he gets that chance, that will then make him the starter going forward. He’s shown in these u21 games that he can come on and bag goals off the bench. I dont think he’d just be getting the odd 5 minutes here and there. Ings is injury prone and Ollie is prone to bad form, so there’ll be plenty of opportunities for him.

3 good forwards all keeping each other honest is the ideal scenario that I can see playing out next season. Watkins and Ings getting shown up by a kid will only make them more determined so theyll all be competing with one another which hopefully brings us plenty of joy on matchdays. Time will tell but I dont think we even need to be bringing in another striker, theres a top prospect raring to go right underneath our noses.

• Like 1

Â