George Boateng

danceoftheshamen

Thought this was interesting, If true,

welcome back George! Hopefully he can coach some of that grit he used to have into the kids!

George Boateng has returned to Aston Villa, coaching within the academy setup.

The former Dutch midfielder who played for Villa between 1999 and 2002 before joining Middlesbrough, joins the club from Blackburn Rovers where he was Youth Team Coach for age groups ranging from Under 13’s up to Under 16’s.

CLICKY George Boateng returns as youth coach

George Boateng re-joins Aston Villa in Youth Coaching Capacity

George Boateng has returned to Aston Villa, coaching within the academy setup.

The former Dutch midfielder who played for Villa between 1999 and 2002 before joining Middlesbrough, joins the club from Blackburn Rovers where he was Youth Team Coach for age groups ranging from Under 13’s up to Under 16’s.

Our sources tell us that Boateng has joined as Aston Villa’s new Under 18’s coach following the departure of David Hughes to Southampton, however this is yet to be confirmed by the club and he could well be working within various age groups within the Aston Villa academy. 

As a player, Boateng starred for Feyenoord before moving to England. He went on to play for Coventry City, Villa, Middlesbrough, Hull City and Nottingham Forest before brief spells in Greece and Malaysia. Boateng was a well liked figure at Villa Park and built up a strong partnership in the midfield alongside the likes of Ian Taylor, Paul Merson and Lee Hendrie. 

Following his retirement in 2016, Boateng completed his coaching badges and revealed how he would love to manage any of his former clubs, especially Villa due to the training ground, fan base and great stadium. Boateng had a brief spell as manager and technical director of Kelantan FA, a professional club in Malaysia. He was appointed as a Youth Team Coach at Blackburn Rovers in 2018 and has nurtured mainly the Under 13’s side at Ewood Park.

It remains to be seen exactly what role Boateng will have at Bodymoor Heath but with the departure of David Hughes and the yet to be confirmed exit of Kevin MacDonald, there is certainly room for additions to the coaching set up. Villa are undergoing somewhat of a change within the academy setup with the arrival of Mark Harrison from West Bromwich Albion as the new Academy Manager. The academy has been an area needed to improve according to Chief Executive, Christian Purslow and the rejuvenation of the academy is being led by Harrison and Sporting Director, Jesus Garcia Pitarch.

Boateng was well liked by the Villa faithful during his time at Villa Park. His addition to the youth team set up can only be a good thing for the young lions. Having a player who was successful at Villa and well liked by fans and players alike coaching you can only be good and Boateng knows what Aston Villa is all about as a club. He knows what it takes to succeed not only as a professional footballer, but also whilst wearing Claret and Blue. In an interview with the Birmingham Mail in 2014, Boateng revealed how he feels he was destined to play for Aston Villa;  “ People don’t know this but when i first came to the UK and i signed for Coventry i lived closer to Bodymoor Heath than to Coventry’s training ground. In my heart I was always destined to play for Aston Villa”. Boateng will certainly be in familiar surroundings as he looks to guide the future Aston Villa stars forward.

Welcome back, George!

Edited by danceoftheshamen
Forgot to post article as well as link
  • Like 2

I like George, I always have, I had a shirt with his name on it when he was a player, I loved his energy and enthusiasm. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on as a coach though as one his main qualities, and one of the reasons I like him, is that he's as mad as a bag of foxes. I'm not sure how that'll play out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John said:

We're well on the way to playing "total football", so why not appoint a Dutchman? 😉

A nice opportunity for our former player to work at B6 again.

He might just be able to coach some kids how to play the defensive midfield role too so we don't have to waste millions in future to buy them. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, John said:

We're well on the way to playing "total football", so why not appoint a Dutchman? 😉

We've already got a Dutchman (El Ghazi). 

Â