Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Maybe the plan is get gerrard out get a big  name manager in who knows what he is doing, hoping that persuades luiz to commit.

Cant see it myself now i think he will have so much interest in him on a free now.

If city had a 20% sell on as well on 20m we only would have made 16m.

I can see why we wanted 30m. I think we would have sold at that price

I think the reason a player of his ability stayed for this long is because we saw progression every year and had a clear plan. 

Now that Gerrard has smashed everything up I don't blame Luiz. European football seem infinitely far away. 

Edited by Pinebro

I don't understand this situation. Luiz wanted to go to Arsenal. They bid £25m for him and he has under a year left on his deal. It is almost a certainty he will not extend that deal, especially now. 

So it's do we value Luiz services for the season over that of the money? 

The only thing I can think of is the youth players. Ramsey and Iregobunam and the level they will be at come next summer. Which combined with Luiz performance for the season is their preferred plan 

Just now, CVByrne said:

I don't understand this situation. Luiz wanted to go to Arsenal. They bid £25m for him and he has under a year left on his deal. It is almost a certainty he will not extend that deal, especially now. 

So it's do we value Luiz services for the season over that of the money? 

The only thing I can think of is the youth players. Ramsey and Iregobunam and the level they will be at come next summer. Which combined with Luiz performance for the season is their preferred plan 

even if the youngsters step up, it's still £25m we will not get and instead have a (potentially) unhappy player for the remainder of the season.

11 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Even if we suddenly say “yeah ok then”. How on earth do they get it all sorted before the deadline?

For teams like Arsenal the FA are happy to find faxes left on the machine that they missed a few hours earlier, probably fell down the back of the machine. 

10 hours ago, STO said:

How is what the case?  No, we don't roll over for anyone. Absolutely, but this is a business decision and we have just lost 25 mill on a bang average player.  I appreciate that others rate Douglas, but unless he signs a contract, which he won't, then we have just lost money.  

What good would £25m be if we're bottom at Christmas? 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, AXD said:

even if the youngsters step up, it's still £25m we will not get and instead have a (potentially) unhappy player for the remainder of the season.

He won't kick up a fuss. He is professional and knows his performances this season enhance his options on a free next summer.

Selling him for £25m is booking a profit of £19m after the 20% going to City and his remaining amortisation. 

I think the club is in a good place financially and it's our ability to attract quality players which is the issue at the moment. So adding money to the coffers isn't the right call.

Also not budging on sales is a good thing for the clubs reputation. Other clubs will potentially not shortlist our top players so readily knowing they will have to pay a high price to get them.

Finally, if we are moving towards a 4 2 3 1 or a 4 3 3 with attacking 8s then keeping Luiz for this season makes sense as we can see how Irogebunam is next summer and have our replacement already 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

For teams like Arsenal the FA are happy to find faxes left on the machine that they missed a few hours earlier, probably fell down the back of the machine. 

Look how Arsenal got away with signing Arshavin after the deadline years ago 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Maybe the plan is get gerrard out get a big  name manager in who knows what he is doing, hoping that persuades luiz to commit.

Cant see it myself now i think he will have so much interest in him on a free now.

If city had a 20% sell on as well on 20m we only would have made 16m.

I can see why we wanted 30m. I think we would have sold at that price

We paid 15m, it is reported 20% of sell-on on profit, offered 25m. So that is (25-15)-(20% of 10m) = 8m gross profit.

From an FFP perspective, 3.75m a yr amortisation, so 11.25m amortised. 3.75m book value. 25m-3.75m = 21.25m accounting profit less the 2m 20% sell-on is 19.25m accounting profit for Villa.

Look, we all know player power is king.  If a player WANTS to move clubs they pretty much always get their way. 

What's even the point of keeping a disgruntled player who's pissed off that you've sabotaged his move to a big club like Arsenal.

As such I think he was happy to stay.  Maybe we will see that new contract now signed, maybe there is a new big name manager imminent. 

Either way, something has happened that makes him OK with staying here.  He's not going to get to next summer and have a bigger club than Arsenal come in for him. 

Edited by sidcow

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What good would £25m be if we're bottom at Christmas? 

What does it matter to keep him, not take the 25 or whatever as long as the manager clearly does not fancy him and will not play him? I do not understand - if he wanted to go and SG does not want to play him as a regular, why insist on keeping him. 

1 minute ago, Hughes said:

What does it matter to keep him, not take the 25 or whatever as long as the manager clearly does not fancy him and will not play him? I do not understand - if he wanted to go and SG does not want to play him as a regular, why insist on keeping him. 

Maybe the plan is that SG won't be about for much longer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheLegendOfLeonBailey31 said:

In my opinion this is horrendous asset management.  I like Luiz...  think he's a quality player.... but we've been playing him in a sub-optimal role (much better as an 8 than a 6), and rarely starting him.  Yet we don't want to sell him, and he won't extend.  I get not wanting to sell him at the last minute because then you're **** until January if you can't bring in a replacement, but letting a player like him go for nothing in the Summer, is again, poor asset management.  My hope is SG starts putting him in the XI to start, and he establishes himself prior to the world cup...  maybe we turn things around, the mood changes, and he signs an extension... and if not... I 1000000% move him in January if you can, and bring in a replacement for the rest of the year.  If we let him leave for nothing in the Summer I'll be pretty miffed

The flaw in your argument is that we haven't let him go on a free next summer. There is a lot of water to flow under the bridge before that. Yes, there is a risk we make not monetise Luiz's contract to our advantage but we won't know how it works out until next year

It's obvious to me that Luiz is staying because Gerrard is off 

Secondly, regardless of where we are league wise, we need to stand up and assert that when players aren’t for sale, they aren’t. Arsenal trying to lowball us is pathetic. 

• Like 1

Â