Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

36 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Look how high his foot is. Its dangerous and inflicted serious dmage. Its a red to me! 

GettyImages-1239157322-1.jpg

Yeah, he was trying to kick the ball. Doug snuck over his shoulder and headed it away. Are overhead kicks banned now too?

Yellow is appropriate. I’d be much more concerned that Dawson got away with a red worthy elbow and Rice didn’t get a yellow for a sly elbow clattering into Coutinho before he finally got what he deserved late into the game.

Edited by a m ole

Not sure if it has been mentioned but the injury he got was a result of a crazy pass he made 5 seconds earlier. Fair play to him for trying to rectify the mistake though. 

He’s not a very good defensive midfielder. It will be interesting to see if the club try and keep him and if so, how they use him next season. 

Personally, I think he’ll be sold for £25m or something like that and I’m fine with that I guess. Seems a shame to lose him, especially as he’s coming into his prime years now but if he doesn’t want to be here, what can the club do? 

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Overhead kicks are definitely illegal if you miss the ball and kick people in the face.

Yes, and it’s a yellow card. Not a red. Which is what happened.

Edited by a m ole

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see both Luiz and McGinn replaced in the summer.  The latter stays with us but has more time on the bench.  As for Luiz, I think he is very over-rated.

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

I think the reason it wasn't given was that lanzini didn't see Luiz, so wasn't intentional. For me that is irrelevant... If you put your boot that high there is potential to hit someone in the face and is dangerous behaviour. 

Mane got a red vs Ederson for going high for the ball and accidentally taking him out , Nani as well in a Champions League game vs Real Madrid

18 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned but the injury he got was a result of a crazy pass he made 5 seconds earlier. Fair play to him for trying to rectify the mistake though. 

He’s not a very good defensive midfielder. It will be interesting to see if the club try and keep him and if so, how they use him next season. 

Personally, I think he’ll be sold for £25m or something like that and I’m fine with that I guess. Seems a shame to lose him, especially as he’s coming into his prime years now but if he doesn’t want to be here, what can the club do? 

He hasn't got "Authority" in his game.

I feel a bit sorry for him, because he is not a CDM, he's just deployed there to fill the role....and he doesn't want to be in that role either.

27 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Luiz has the best pass percentages of our midfielders...

No way should he be dropped or replaced.

Just needs a more defensive player to support him and then we'd see the best of Luiz.

I think we have to be careful here.....he makes a lot of non descript short passes, that are semi meaningless.....and are made with no opposition player near him.

Stats can be misleading, if not interpreted in an analytical way.

As an example....Gabby is one of our all time highest scorers, but due to the amount games he has played, his prolificacy stats are pants.

16 hours ago, STO said:

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see both Luiz and McGinn replaced in the summer.  The latter stays with us but has more time on the bench.  As for Luiz, I think he is very over-rated.

They are good players, in some ways, but as we aspire to better things, their limitations are exposed.

28 minutes ago, sne said:

Screenshot-2022-03-14-at-09.49.05-475x1024.png

If only he'd been taller, then that kick would have hit him in the chest instead.

If it was Elphick playing, that kick would have missed him completely.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WHY said:

I’ve never been convinced by Luiz, not sure he has the drive to be the best he can be. If a good offer comes in during the summer window I think we will sell. 

His game, lacks Command and Influence.

We need an upgrade.

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

He hasn't got "Authority" in his game.

I feel a bit sorry for him, because he is not a CDM, he's just deployed there to fill the role....and he doesn't want to be in that role either.

I think we have to be careful here.....he makes a lot of non descript short passes, that are semi meaningless.....and are made with no opposition player near him.

Stats can be misleading, if not interpreted in an analytical way.

But Luiz is quite obviously our best passer.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

But Luiz is quite obviously our best passer.

Yes he is....but without the other attributes, necessary to preside in the higher echelons of the league, its not enough.

If we have any aspirations of moving away from midtable, and progressing, surely we must see the area's that are not going to be good enough, with certian present personnel.

I say it again, and its not picking him out, because he is not on his own, but he makes many non descript passes that have no influence, command, authority, (call it what your will) on the teams advancement.

If you rely on stats alone, you may miss the true picture.....its easy to stay back, play the ball around in your own back yard and run the passing stats up.

He has questionable influence on a game, talking in very broad terms, depending on the opposition.

Edited by TRO

Â