Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

52 minutes ago, TRO said:

borderline.

however I appreciate , many other attributes have to be considered too.

He is actually 6 foot. How is that borderline

Suppose wouldn't take Cannavaro, Puyol or Southgate all below 6 foot

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

He’s still young. He’s just going through a bad patch. He’ll improve hopefully next season.

I agree with this. Don’t need to write young players off because they have a bad few games or even a bad season. It’s all part of the journey.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

More worryingly, they have a combined age of about 150....

Yet still better than Maguire and Stones who apparently world class defenders because they are English 

*Mings is miles better than these 2 donkeys*

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, peterw said:

Not at all. Mings has a player (more or less) on his shoulder with the ball moving rapidly through our non-existant midfield (where was the CDM?). At no point is Mings in a position to move up as the ball is nowhere near his side of the pitch. Konsa should have tried to back pedal for anoyher 10-15 yards or so and allow Mings to come across to close the gap between them, and/or any defensive players to also come back. This was all about poor decision-making by Konsa which led direcvtly to the goal. His poor decision-making in the first half should also have led to a Burnley goal. He's a bit of a liability at the moment and needs to be rested. 

I said months back that I though Konsa needed to be replaced but not because of defensive short-comings, despite Saturday (and previous games) he is just going through a really bad patch and I have no doubt he will get his mojo back and become a good defender again. My issue is and always will be what he does in possession of the ball. I have very little confidence in his ability with the ball at his feet - even just in moving the ball 5 yards and timing his passes. he always looks unsteady and uncertain in possession and apart from his excellent ability at 'going down under pressure' really struggles when he is closed down, struggling to find the 'out' ball and remianing composed.

He may be sold or he may be kept for a season to see if he can develop (as said, he's still young), but either way Burnley's goal did highlight two of our biggest weaknesses for me all season. Konsa and CDM.

The real issue is that he does too IMO. The good news is that there's still time for him to work on that side of his game, the question is whether he can do it or not. 

7 hours ago, peterw said:

Not at all. Mings has a player (more or less) on his shoulder with the ball moving rapidly through our non-existant midfield (where was the CDM?). At no point is Mings in a position to move up as the ball is nowhere near his side of the pitch.

You say this, but as soon as the ball is played, Mings tries to move up.

To be honest, I don't particularly attach much blame to either of them as such - they were just lazy.  Whole team was.  Those final minutes were walk in the park stuff and we got undone, which is a real shame.

The goal wasn’t “Mings’ fault” or “Konsa’s fault” - leaving aside the whole rest of the team, if we are dumbing down to just simplify centre backs it was both of them. Mings was five yards deeper than Konsa so Cornet could sprint full pelt without worrying about timing his run for offside, meaning he could be past Konsa before he started. Even in the modern weird interpretation of offside, they should have been level - no way for us to know who was in the wrong shape, but both should have been screaming at the other to be level.

22 minutes ago, bobzy said:

To be honest, I don't particularly attach much blame to either of them as such - they were just lazy

Yeah my following post could probably have been simplified to this…

15 hours ago, bobzy said:

You say this, but as soon as the ball is played, Mings tries to move up.

To be honest, I don't particularly attach much blame to either of them as such - they were just lazy.  Whole team was.  Those final minutes were walk in the park stuff and we got undone, which is a real shame.

Mings tried to move up because he saw the movement of Konsa and realised that we were in all sorts of troube because of Konsa being caught square. It was a last dithc attempt to stop the attack early otherwise Burnly would have had the same 2 on 1 that they had anyway. Mings rolled the dice nothing more.

On 08/05/2022 at 04:12, villanmac said:

Mings has carried every centre half he's been next to, Konsa, Engels,Tuanzebe...yet all at some point in time were proclaimed to be better than him (before it became clear they weren't).

I’ve been a critic of Mings but I’m ready to say hat in hand you’re absolutely right. It’s proven when he’s injured. We are nothing without him.

As for Konsa, we have to replace him/give him some serious, serious competition. He has had an awful season. 

As I said before, I think the logical option is to cash in while we can still get a decent fee. A promoted side looking to finish above the line could do a lot worse, he helped us survive after all. But if we leave it much longer his stock will sink further. Gerrard is going to want a new CB, I think everybody knows this. 

Still believe in him but sets a bad example he walks back into the team and is undroppable. Should be forced to sit out until Chambers lost his spot

Interesting the fear of losing him to Spurs or Liverpool has completely disappeared from this forum

Â