The 1990s Aston Villa mailing list

mjmooney

Consider this an 'Old Boys Association'. 

How many of us on VT today were subscribers to the Villa mailing list in the 90s? 

I know there was me, NIVillan and BOF, for starters, but there surely must be more. Declare yourselves, and let us know if you've changed your ID name. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Silly question - what was it?

It was a Villa fan forum conducted via email. Seems a quaint idea now, but it paved the way for VT (thanks, Simon!) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

How many of us on VT today were subscribers to the Villa mailing list in the 90s? 

I know there was me, NIVillan and BOF, for starters, but there surely must be more. Declare yourselves, and let us know if you've changed your ID name. 

I hosted it for several years in various forms.

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Sorry BBC 606 led me here.

Same. VT used to get slated, it had a sort of mythical reputation for knee jerk reactions, slagging off everyone and everything and meltdowns...so I thought it was right up my street.

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

err @blandy (how did you forget that one) and I were on there. Bloody hell my first log on there and for here would have been from amonro5075@aol.com AOL!!

1 hour ago, Withnail said:

I was there.  Didn’t say anything then and still don’t say a lot now.

I remember a Malcom who was a little grumpy. Norm was a nice guy.

ah Malc (RIP) , everyone had run ins with him, even his reflection. Mr Crandle was indeed lovely. Still catch Katie on FB.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LancsVillan said:

err @blandy (how did you forget that one) and I were on there. Bloody hell my first log on there and for here would have been from amonro5075@aol.com AOL!!

That's the trouble - people using different names, I don't realise who's here under a different one. 

11 minutes ago, LancsVillan said:

ah Malc (RIP) , everyone had run ins with him, even his reflection. Mr Crandle was indeed lovely. Still catch Katie on FB.

Malcolm Everall, wasn't it? Is Norm still alive? 

Yeah, I'm still in FB contact with Kate (aka Nanook), John Kreeger (Blitz), Donna Jackson (Ra Kilt), Tsvet, Trond Hagenes, Ian Robathan, Rad Popovic and Naz (you're on here, I think!) 

And there was Christian Jahnsen (set up a very early Villa website), Mark Quinn, the Legendary Michael David Ault, Steve Pennycooke... I'm forgetting loads of others... 

We even had a football team: 

intervillans1.jpg

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

Some cracking memories drift to the surface looking at those names, some are one here for sure. Had to laugh to note you missed out Alan in Japan and Paul Pants Johnson

I looked for an archive as there used to be one but I guess Simon ( @limpid ) finally killed that off

10 minutes ago, LancsVillan said:

Some cracking memories drift to the surface looking at those names, some are one here for sure. Had to laugh to note you missed out Alan in Japan and Paul Pants Johnson. 

I was FB friends with Paul Johnson, but when I posted some mildly anti-royal family joke, he called me a word removed and unfriended me. Bizarre. 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, LancsVillan said:

I don't think I was on in the 90s - I think I got a 'puter right at the end of 99 and maybe the internet early 2000?

Â