The 1990s Aston Villa mailing list

mjmooney

5 hours ago, limpid said:

I think I took over the mailing list in 1994 and converted it to use majordomo hosted at @mcc.ac.uk. It sat there for a few years until I moved it to Mailman running on my own servers.

VillaTalk was registered in April 2002. I hosted it on my own servers (originally for Bozzy and JC) running Postnuke as the CMS. It moved around a few servers until I ported to a hosted IP.Board in September 2012.

(There is no such thing as "Heroes and Villans" :mrgreen:)

Hmmmm. I know I first joined in about 1996. But it was the first version of villatalk. 

But it wasn't registered? 🤨

15 hours ago, LancsVillan said:

ah Malc (RIP) , everyone had run ins with him, even his reflection. Mr Crandle was indeed lovely. Still catch Katie on FB.

I saw a different side of Malcom in private emails sent and he was a good guy.  He often said stuff just to liven the list up :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mjmooney said:

That's the trouble - people using different names, I don't realise who's here under a different one. 

Malcolm Everall, wasn't it? Is Norm still alive? 

Yeah, I'm still in FB contact with Kate (aka Nanook), John Kreeger (Blitz), Donna Jackson (Ra Kilt), Tsvet, Trond Hagenes, Ian Robathan, Rad Popovic and Naz (you're on here, I think!) 

And there was Christian Jahnsen (set up a very early Villa website), Mark Quinn, the Legendary Michael David Ault, Steve Pennycooke... I'm forgetting loads of others... 

We even had a football team: 

intervillans1.jpg

Yippee me in younger days when I could run around a football pitch

Just now, NIVillan said:

Yippee me in younger days when I could run around a football pitch

I still don't know your real name, yet we've played footie together! Which one is you in the picture? 

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

When did it start? My memory is that I joined in about 1994. Can't remember how many members there were at that point, but for me living in Leeds, it was a real Villa lifeline - and - indirectly - got me attending matches again, after about a decade away. 

The original list started off in 1994.  I was at Uni in the States and picked up a book about this Internet thing.  I think this was Summer 1994, As I lived on Campus had easy Access to computer labs at the Dorms.  It mentioned something about Mailing Lists so I joined a General Football one but I put out a request for a Villa one.  Got a reply.

I was told to email I think richard @ pyramid   and I was added to the CC list.  I always kept at least one copy of an email so I could reply all.   I think you mjmooney joined just after me.  Came home xmas 94 and when I returned to Uni there was some guy called Malcom on, winding everyone on. 

Xmas 1995 I think we had our first xmas meal get together organised by John Penlington.  Ended up sitting opposite Derek Dougan for the meal.  Next year we had Jimmy Brown, with someone we presumed was his daughter until they started to get close :)

1996 was the Euronet which the photo was posted earlier, organised by Mark Quinn and Steve Pennycooke.

The last get together I went to was the night before the 2000 Cup Final when Norm had flown over.

Was sad to see it go.  One of the best things for me personally to come with using the Internet as it gave me a way to keep up to date with what was happening at the Villa.   Still have that book as a memento

• Like 2

BTW Does anyone remember a Villa Fan being on Radio 5 last October.  Adrian Chiles show,  Wife of Dennis Violet (former Man U and Busbey Babe) was trying to return the 1957 Cup Final Programme to a Villa fan and track them down.

Well it was me and the link to the mailing list was that someone who used to be on it contacted me via Facebook saying Radio 5 wanted to get in contact with me.

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I still don't know your real name, yet we've played footie together! Which one is you in the picture? 

Let see if you can Guess - Hint I swim :)

31 minutes ago, NIVillan said:

Let see if you can Guess - Hint I swim :)

Rightmost player on the front row? 

Hayden Wakeling? 

Edited by mjmooney

6 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Hmmmm. I know I first joined in about 1996. But it was the first version of villatalk. 

But it wasn't registered? 🤨

I didn't buy register the domain until then. I think the name was in use a little before then on a shared forum with "Spurs Talk". That was disappearing so I offered to host directly.

I doubt that the shared forum was around for 6 years before that though.

On 10/07/2019 at 10:03, NIVillan said:

I saw a different side of Malcom in private emails sent and he was a good guy.  He often said stuff just to liven the list up :)

Crikey I used to get into it daily with Malc. I was permanently banned from H&V for it... we ended up as facebook friends and used to have the occasional drunken chat, I realised I just didn't 'get' him. One of the original internet trolls, back when that was a slightly less seedy and dangerous term.  

• Haha 3

On 10/07/2019 at 14:05, Tegis said:

http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c937079/AVFC/index.html

I signed up for the list in 95, was so proud of my fist mail-address aston.villa@swipnet.se

Big decision was to use the digest or not :D

IIRC Christian Janssen hosted or ran something in the early days.  Definitely had a website too.

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

That link doesn't work.  :(

3 hours ago, BOF said:

IIRC Christian Janssen hosted or ran something in the early days.  Definitely had a website too.

Yep, thats the oldest URL of the site when he hosted it at his university.

https://web.archive.org/web/19980614185109/http://www.gbar.dtu.dk/~c937079/AVFC/index.html

I think it was renamed to the Villaweb later on.

• Like 1

On 09/07/2019 at 22:33, mjmooney said:

I refuse to use their incorrect spelling. 

That really is quite the pedant's paradox. You could always qualify it with '(sic)' to show you're not the philistine :)

• Thanks 1

On 09/07/2019 at 15:25, mjmooney said:

Consider this an 'Old Boys Association'. 

How many of us on VT today were subscribers to the Villa mailing list in the 90s? 

I know there was me, NIVillan and BOF, for starters, but there surely must be more. Declare yourselves, and let us know if you've changed your ID name. 

Very glad to see this thread! I was on the mailing list from -95 something and onwards. For how long was it up and running? If I remember correctly I got problems with it when hotmail made some update and I couldn't receive the mails anymore, think it was around -98.

I really loved the mailing list, first thing I did coming home from school was to read the new mails. At that time and living in Sweden it was the best way of getting Villa news, especially the match reports, I still miss them! Was it someone on here who regularly used to send the match reports?

Also loved the Legendary Michael David Aults passionate mails!

Â