The 1990s Aston Villa mailing list

mjmooney

32 minutes ago, LancsVillan said:

Some cracking memories drift to the surface looking at those names, some are one here for sure. Had to laugh to note you missed out Alan in Japan and Paul Pants Johnson

I looked for an archive as there used to be one but I guess Simon ( @limpid ) finally killed that off

John Lerwill took over the archive. I don't know what happened to it since.

Don't forget that this was back in the days when you had to think about storage costs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

John Lerwill took over the archive. I don't know what happened to it since.

Don't forget that this was back in the days when you had to think about storage costs.

That's right. John Cresswell I also remember from early on here too.

Was he also not in a computer game, championship manager one season for winning a competition iirc?

I was there. Mostly lurking. 

If you knew which plug to switch off you killed the list(man).

😎

I know, not really Si but...

Edited by red5

51 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

That's right. 

John Cresswell I also remember from early on here too.

Was he also not in a computer game, championship manager one season for winning a competition iirc?

Ou est le lapin?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Je n'ai aucune idée.

Cresswell used to run a blog called 'Ou est le lapin?' Which translates as 'where is the rabbit?' The banner was a picture of him in a rabbit costume. To this day I've no idea, about any of it. 

• Like 1

When did it start? My memory is that I joined in about 1994. Can't remember how many members there were at that point, but for me living in Leeds, it was a real Villa lifeline - and - indirectly - got me attending matches again, after about a decade away. 

Could do with a timeline for when all these channels began (and in some cases, ended). 

The mailing list

Christian Jahnsen's website (what was it called?) 

Villa official site

Heroes and Villans

VillaTalk

etc. 

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Cresswell used to run a blog called 'Ou est le lapin?' Which translates as 'where is the rabbit?' The banner was a picture of him in a rabbit costume. To this day I've no idea, about any of it. 

Was my reply.

20 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

I was on the official forum on Villa's website.

Was anyone else on that?

I remember being on holiday one summer when we seemed to be on the verge of Distin (2005 maybe) and was logging onto that as there was some ITK who was claiming he'd had a medical. Only time I looked at the forums on there. Teamtalk was another one I used at the time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I remember being on holiday one summer when we seemed to be on the verge of Distin (2005 maybe) and was logging onto that as there was some ITK who was claiming he'd had a medical. Only time I looked at the forums on there. Teamtalk was another one I used at the time.

I was pretty new on there before it went offline maybe 6 months i was on there!

I suggested Darren Bent when he was Ipswich on there before moving to Charlton. Memories

Edited by Villan4Life

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Could do with a timeline for when all these channels began (and in some cases, ended). 

The mailing list

Christian Jahnsen's website (what was it called?) 

Villa official site

Heroes and Villans

VillaTalk

etc. 

I think I took over the mailing list in 1994 and converted it to use majordomo hosted at @mcc.ac.uk. It sat there for a few years until I moved it to Mailman running on my own servers.

VillaTalk was registered in April 2002. I hosted it on my own servers (originally for Bozzy and JC) running Postnuke as the CMS. It moved around a few servers until I ported to a hosted IP.Board in September 2012.

(There is no such thing as "Heroes and Villans" :mrgreen:)

• Thanks 2

Â