Matt Targett

villan-scott

5 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

We should not be selling Targett unless we have either an upgrade or a youth ready to go. And we have neither at this moment.

Why? We have Young? He is ample cover at left back, especially in a Gerrard system. He is perfectly fine until the end of the season where we can go and buy a young and upcoming left back to challenge Digne.

I have no issue with Targett leaving. 

• Like 2

I would sell him for 25 million personally, anything over that would be a bonus.

I get people's worries about a backup left back, but Young and Chrisene should be enough for the remainder of the season.

The reality is Targett's price is now going to begin to decrease the more time he spends on the bench, and the acquistion of Digne shows that Targett isn't in Gerrard's plans long term. Cash in whilst we can, and look to fill the backup position in the summer.

It could also be money we can invest in a defensive midfielder tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Why? We have Young? He is ample cover at left back, especially in a Gerrard system. He is perfectly fine until the end of the season where we can go and buy a young and upcoming left back to challenge Digne.

Chambers and Mings can play LB too

4 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

As if selling Targett to Newcastle will help them survive—he’s not good enough to make any sort of major impact.

They are one point from safety with a game in hand and they have an advantage of 10 GD over Norwich.

They play Paul Dummet (30) at Left Back. I'd back Targett to be worth a difference of 1pt in 18 games 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Our POTS last year?

But if Hickey is / was a genuine target (boom boom) then selling Targett to pay for Hickey and to have £10m cash (boom boom) left over to go towards another signing would be good business.  Digne to start, Hickey to gain experience so that he eventually takes over from Digne.  Left back position sorted for 5-6 seasons minimum. 

• Like 1

Just now, HalfTimePost said:

They are one point from safety with a game in hand and they have an advantage of 10 GD over Norwich.

They play Paul Dummet (30) at Left Back. I'd back Targett to be worth a difference of 1pt in 18 games 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’d back them to survive based on their other signings regardless of signing Targett or not: he wouldn’t be the difference between survival and not.

12 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

We should not be selling Targett unless we have either an upgrade or a youth ready to go. And we have neither at this moment.

Digne is the upgrade unless I've missed something.

And Young can just be backup at LB as he has been for most of the season as we won't be needed in front 3 now.

In real emergency we could just play Hause there perhaps with Chambers in but I Ddoubt it will come to that just playing another 17 games.

I think some are still stuck in the mentality from the recent era where we didn't have many good players, so the idea of selling anyone half decent seemed a strange concept, we were used to wanting to sell players either because they weren't very good or because they were a massive drain on the wage bill...

Going to have to get used to the idea that when you become a good team, as counterintuitive as it may seem, you also sell good players, the top six sell backup players all the time for decent fees, it only becomes a problem when they're not replaced.

Edited by useless
Not saying we should or shouldn't sell Targett, just a general point.
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, DeepDish said:

We should not sell players like Targett. What is the point of improving our team if we sell our good squad players. The whole point is to both improve the first eleven and to improve the bench with players that actually perform well when called upon.

Young has done that a few times this season and his experience is excellent for those last 15 minutes we need to close out in games e.g. Leicester at home.

He can fill that role for rest of the season. Different story if we in europe or still in FA cup.

5 minutes ago, allani said:

But if Hickey is / was a genuine target (boom boom) then selling Targett to pay for Hickey and to have £10m cash (boom boom) left over to go towards another signing would be good business.  Digne to start, Hickey to gain experience so that he eventually takes over from Digne.  Left back position sorted for 5-6 seasons minimum. 

1 minute ago, useless said:

I think some are still stuck in the mentality from the recent era where we didn't have many good players, so the idea of selling anyone half decent seemed a strange concept, we were used to wanting to sell players either because they weren't very good or because they were a massive drain on the wage bill...

Going to have to get used to the idea that when you become a good team, as counterintuitive as it may seem, you also sell good players, the top six sell backup players all the time for decent fees, it only becomes a problem when they're not replaced.

No i'm fine if there is strategic thought and ready made backup/replacements.

However on the flip side, it seems some people are ready to flog any player as soon as we get a  " better one " in a position.

Forgetting about injuries, suspensions, form loss etc.

You also have to be careful not to just dig up your whole squad so quickly, smooth transition is best, both for morale and tactics etc imo.

There is a fine line between showing players they can be benched/replaced if they are not performing, and making them feel as if they aren't of any value at all.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It's inevitable that Newcastles stock will rise eventually, so as much as I'd hate to help them by strengthening them, if we can rip them off to the max I'm up for it. We should be asking for more then we paid for Digne, 35m+.

Â