Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

23 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Wes was miles better than Samatta. People are forgetting he was 22 years old, first season in the Prem for both him and us, plus we were an awful side. He still managed 5 goals in 21 games despite people thinking he was poor. 

People were calling Luiz dreadful that season, now I'm not saying he was ever going to progress like Luiz has but he had time to do it.

The 5 goals get pointed out but they came against mainly awful teams. He was a woeful player.

Was not strong or fast enough to be prem quality. Had no technical ability to make up for that. He barely hit a ball cleanly when passing or shooting. Watching him run with the ball was almost comical and his touch was average at best. Woeful in the air and never looked like a decent finisher. 

I've questioned Watkins at times. And Watkins at his worst is still miles better than Wesley. 

Reminds me of the Hogan arguments. He was always going to become good because of his world class movement. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Just looking back through this thread. 

I felt this way before his injury. I know it was a bad one but I didn't see anything in him before it. I don't think he'd have made it in this league.

Wes was the same level as Libor Kozak. Awkward style and poached a few goals but we certainly would've been nowhere near challenging for europe if he'd stayed as CF instead of bringing in someone with Ollie's profile.

Bizarre how both effectively had their top level careers ended by similar injuries, didn't Kozak get done by a Ciaran Clark tackle in training and you could see he was finished by some of his awful cameos for us in the championship.

Gestede was arguably even worse. Says it all we effectively signed him as Benteke's replacement.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I will never not remain baffled by the levels of hatred and asserted dismissiveness of a player who played about 11 games for us, coming from a foreign country, was always going to take time to get up to speed, and scored 1 in 3 or in those games. He had a couple of good games, some average ones and looked crap in others. I have no idea whether he would havbe made it, maybe not, it's not easy he may still have come up short, but the degree to which some people insist on how shit a player he was, like they cant cope with someone not agreeing with them that Wesley is shit is really quite pathetic and sad.

I just think people were expecting a top class forward to be signed that summer, ideally Tammy but once Chelsea got the transfer ban he was always going to be starting there. Wasn't Belotti's name linked a bit that summer?

We signed Wes for about 5m more than West Ham paid for Bowen six months later (albeit Bowen is better coming in from out wide).

We were certainly undercooked upfront coming back to the premier league. Wes for over 20m + and never playing in league anywhere close to the prem before, Kodj as backup who simply wasn't as good with the two serious injuries and DS not rating him that much and then Davis in the mix but with the usual injuries and lack of goals.

After Wes got injured at Burnley we actually sold Kodj a week later and Davis was nowhere to be seen so we were starting prem matches that January with El Ghazi and Trez upfront and Vassilev coming on as sub with 20 minutes left. Luckily that was good enough to beat Watford 2-1 last minute and keep us up but it really isn't a textbook example of how a promoted side should go about things.

26 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Wes was the same level as Libor Kozak. Awkward style and poached a few goals but we certainly would've been nowhere near challenging for europe if he'd stayed as CF instead of bringing in someone with Ollie's profile.

Bizarre how both effectively had their top level careers ended by similar injuries, didn't Kozak get done by a Ciaran Clark tackle in training and you could see he was finished by some of his awful cameos for us in the championship.

Gestede was arguably even worse. Says it all we effectively signed him as Benteke's replacement.

God, Kozak was another shocking player. 

41 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I will never not remain baffled by the levels of hatred and asserted dismissiveness of a player who played about 11 games for us, coming from a foreign country, was always going to take time to get up to speed, and scored 1 in 3 or in those games. He had a couple of good games, some average ones and looked crap in others. I have no idea whether he would havbe made it, maybe not, it's not easy he may still have come up short, but the degree to which some people insist on how shit a player he was, like they cant cope with someone not agreeing with them that Wesley is shit is really quite pathetic and sad.

I just reply to people who say silly things like "Wes' goals kept us up".

Silliness must be stamped out.

40 minutes ago, Rodders said:

...but he was. No hatred to Wes, I wish we gave him a 10 year contract because what happened to him was horrific but he was a bizarre signing and I still can't see the logic or what we saw in him.

Couldn't strike a ball cleanly from anyway more than 8 yards. Awkward looking player terrible touch couldn't turn no agility. He was awful for us but because of the bad injury people want to rewrite history.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Are we allowed to think someone is just not really that good or dose this fall under hatred/hate speech? it's a precious world we live in

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

...but he was. No hatred to Wes, I wish we gave him a 10 year contract because what happened to him was horrific but he was a bizarre signing and I still can't see the logic or what we saw in him.

Couldn't strike a ball cleanly from anyway more than 8 yards. Awkward looking player terrible touch couldn't turn no agility. He was awful for us but because of the bad injury people want to rewrite history.

Yeah, I don't hate the guy. I hate the fact he was our only striker signed that summer. A ridiculous decision by the club that nearly cost us our premier league status first time of asking. 

1 hour ago, pete101 said:

He was struggling with the physicality of the league big time well before his injury, Was very strange for a man of his size he really didn't like contact, spent a lot of time on the ground 

Because he was really struggling to dial in the right level of physicality the way Duran has been struggling right now. When Wes used his strength he got called for a foul. When he went down after foul play he didn't receive it because of his size.

I remember him turning vertonghen (I think) in a game just utterly rolling him and vertonghen pulling his shirt to stop him and then Wesley being called for a foul because he put his arm out to clear vertonghen away. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

The 5 goals get pointed out but they came against mainly awful teams. He was a woeful player.

2 of the teams finished top 10 and only one finished below us. We were an awful team as well glued together last minute

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

I just think people were expecting a top class forward to be signed that summer, ideally Tammy but once Chelsea got the transfer ban he was always going to be starting there. Wasn't Belotti's name linked a bit that summer?

We signed Wes for about 5m more than West Ham paid for Bowen six months later (albeit Bowen is better coming in from out wide).

We were certainly undercooked upfront coming back to the premier league. Wes for over 20m + and never playing in league anywhere close to the prem before, Kodj as backup who simply wasn't as good with the two serious injuries and DS not rating him that much and then Davis in the mix but with the usual injuries and lack of goals.

After Wes got injured at Burnley we actually sold Kodj a week later and Davis was nowhere to be seen so we were starting prem matches that January with El Ghazi and Trez upfront and Vassilev coming on as sub with 20 minutes left. Luckily that was good enough to beat Watford 2-1 last minute and keep us up but it really isn't a textbook example of how a promoted side should go about things.

People were crying weekly how superior Maupay was to Wesley. Maupay has been consistently shit in the Premier League

Was also an arrogance that some thought we would automatically go straight into the top 10 because of our name

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

2 of the teams finished top 10 and only one finished below us. We were an awful team as well glued together last minute

Oh I know we were awful. A big part of that was relying on Wesley as our main striker. 

It was a shocking decision. We started the season with Wesley, Kodjia and Davis as our attacking options. 

Miracle we stayed up. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

People were crying weekly how superior Maupay was to Wesley. Maupay has been consistently shit in the Premier League

Was also an arrogance that some thought we would automatically go straight into the top 10 because of our name

Please don't tell me you think Wes was better than Maupay.

Please.

• Confused 1

Why some feel to deride a player who came with promise whose career was derailed by a horror injury is beyond me… Just let it go and remind yourself before the hyperbole criticisms maybe a photo of the injury… Geez 

IMG_7919.jpeg

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

A crippled Wesley was better than Maupay. A true donkey

I don't think you think this really, but you stay stubborn if you like.

I really really would like the story of how we signed Wes one day. Who first saw him, who approved him. I cannot believe someone like Smith said yes he's the man I want.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Why some feel to deride a player who came with promise whose career was derailed by a horror injury is beyond me… Just let it go and remind yourself before the hyperbole criticisms maybe a photo of the injury… Geez 

IMG_7919.jpeg

Nobody is questioning it was a bad injury?

Okay. Wes was dealt a horror blow. Let's just lie and pretend he looked good before it because that fits the narrative of tragedy.

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't think you think this really, but you stay stubborn if you like.

I really really would like the story of how we signed Wes one day. Who first saw him, who approved him. I cannot believe someone like Smith said yes he's the man I want.

He was miles off it. Injury or not, he probably wouldn’t be playing far off the level he is now. Dreadful signing tbh. 

Â