Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

3 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Abraham only scored 5 goals for Swansea in his first Premier League season, and he'd the chance to test the waters by playing for Bristol in the championship.

Look at him now, admittedly it took him a few years in the second division and the right opportunities to become a striker recording impressive tallies, but he's come good.

Wes has a decent record in Belgium, and he has come in to a side finding it's feet. For me has shown that he has some of the qualities required for life in the Premier League.

Abraham was prolific for a Villa team which was outstanding in the championship, and he had an abundance of quality service to get the goals that he did.

Now he is at Chelsea, with the likes of Mount, Willian, Jorginho, Barkley, Pulisic, Kante, Pedro etc. all creating attacking chances from every angle.

I really don't intend to defend Wes on the basis of me believing he is adequate or going to be what we need him to be, I really don't know how much he will improve and grow.

I just think he gets a lot of criticism because he's not doing what we all expect a goalscorer to do, and that is usually score goals or provide some entertainment.

I actually like that about Wes, he doesn't go for the hollywood showboat attempts and plays the simple game which means we keep it moving and more importantly at our feet.

Great post mate!!! 100% agreement!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I disagree with this as well.

Wesley doesn't excel at anything. Can't see what he would offer coming from the bench.

A bit of hustle?

Not £22m worth of it but he is here so it is what it is.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

So basically fancier words for excuses.

Also,  when have you said anything at any point that could be construed as "objective reasoning"?  That's not a dig at your opinions, as it is a dig at you thinking your opinions are some form of objective reasoning, Most of it what we have been saying are subject to opinion at the end of the day which by definition means it cannot be objective reasoning.

Edit: Removed a line. Probably gone a bit too far.

I thought it would be clear that when I said SOME PEOPLE (as in plural) that was self explanatory.

Not sure why you have decided to jump on my post and make it seem I was claiming to be THE voice for Wesley supporters ffs.

Kindly piss off mate.

Someone needs to tell this clown to stop making "excuses" as well.

Dean Smith on Wesley:  https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-wesley-chelsea-smith-17365840

"He's growing into what is a fledgling career in the Premier League," he said. "He's just turned 23, a late comer to the game and a handful for centre-halves.

"Again, he went shoulder-to-shoulder with their centre-half and was given a free-kick against him. You come to clubs like Manchester United and Chelsea and, I'll be honest, I don't expect too many decisions and that's been the case in both games."

"His contribution to the team is the most important thing. What are we? 15 games in. He's scored four goals at a rate of one in three in a bit. He'll score goals. We've just gone through a period of games playing Manchester City, Wolves away, Liverpool, United, Chelsea."

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, sne said:

A bit of hustle?

Not £22m worth of it but he is here so it is what it is.

i wouldn't even get involved with replying to him mate!

He honestly never got anything positive say about anything Villa related.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 3

I understand the criticism but still think it’s over the top at this stage of his career. Especially with our recent run of tough opponents. Let’s see how he gets on when our ‘easier’ run (on paper at least) starts. We are still scoring plenty of goals as a team, frankly our main concern should be with the other end of the pitch (not Heaton obviously who has been brilliant).

Edited by Elton
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Is Kodjia SO bad that he doesn’t even earn a start? Just to see if he would be more effective? Dunno really.

I'm about as anti Kodj as you will ever get but I think he needs to be given a start! I feel the club ****ed up not signing Maupay he'd be scoring goals in our team, Wes should be on the bench and given time to develop. 

Tammy was 19/20 when he was at Swansea.

Wesley is 23 and tbh I think he is further behind in development than Tammy was when he was 19. Also don't think he has the same talent as Tammy has.

Wesley can and will develop, but he needs to be given a better situation than being relied on a 100%. He needs relief.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Has to be a DS signing. There is no way he would be as stubborn with him otherwise.

This is not how recruiting works or how selecting works either.

And to booth both Kodjia and Davis has been injured a lot.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Has to be a DS signing. There is no way he would be as stubborn with him otherwise.

He was a Suso suggestion...  Show's you how much you know.

Nakamba, Wes & Trez was all Suso suggestions not Smith. He had agree to it though. 

That's how it works

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Elton said:

I understand the criticism but still think it’s over the top at this stage of his career. Especially with our recent run of tough opponents. Let’s see how he gets on when our ‘easier’ on run on paper at least starts. We are still scoring plenty of goals as a team, frankly our main concern should be with the other end of the pitch (not Heaton obviously who has been brilliant).

Understand your sentiment but he shouldn't be starting as a lone striker for a PL team if he still needs developing. This isn't his fault I'd be absolutely astonished if the intention when buying him was to play him as a lone striker. 

15 minutes ago, Elton said:

I understand the criticism but still think it’s over the top at this stage of his career. Especially with our recent run of tough opponents. Let’s see how he gets on when our ‘easier’ run (on paper at least) starts. We are still scoring plenty of goals as a team, frankly our main concern should be with the other end of the pitch (not Heaton obviously who has been brilliant).

Thats the thing, even myself, a month or so ago I was saying he needed to be dropped, or we needed to tweak the system.

It's just the "mean girls" high school type ganging up and singling out I hate.

Villa fans have a tendency to be overly dramatic and exaggerate things ffs.

As I said yesterday, the likes of Mings could score a 40 yard screamer of an own goal and they would slate Wesley for being too lazy to go and make the goal line clearance.

No **** moderation or middle ground, no consideration for all of the variables which might also be affecting his individual performance (Which yes, obviously also has to do with his ability and effort).

When Jack was being played in a position which wasn't ideal for him or the team their was a willingness to acknowledge it was affecting his performances.

It's the nature of the beast, favourites will get leeway, strikers are expected to hit the ground running and score goals... etc etc

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Understand your sentiment but he shouldn't be starting as a lone striker for a PL team if he still needs developing. This isn't his fault I'd be absolutely astonished if the intention when buying him was to play him as a lone striker. 

Have to remember that both  Drogba & Henry took whole season before got good at Chelsea & Arsenal!! Even  Van Persie at Arsenal!! This stuff happens even a 22 yr old Brazilian striker that came from Belgium.

Wes just needs time... Trust Me!! He's improving all the time.He's never going to be a natural goalscorer.. ever..... this is part of the problem but he can certainly give us additional options once got used to Premiership. Its bad anyone write him off so soon. He has the talent.

We needed in summer to replace Tammy permanently and we didn't.. .Tammy was a big part in our style of play under Deano..  but Wes has good potential though.

This is where we are at in my opinion currently. Natural scorer in Jan please Villa. 

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Wesley is 23 and tbh I think he is further behind in development than Tammy was when he was 19. Also don't think he has the same talent as Tammy has.

Wesley can and will develop, but he needs to be given a better situation than being relied on a 100%. He needs relief.

And Rickie Lambert got his big chance at age 30. Sometimes the stars don't always align in a textbook manner from one player to the next.

I would agree for sure that Wes is further behind in his development than Abraham but not necessarily Tammy back then, Wes is less stylish but has been as effective.

Also agree that Tammy has a greater natural ability, but hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard, and so Wes' development is in his hands.

Unfortunately Wes does seem to be lackadaisical at times, Tammy had an intensity and care factor for his own standards but also the club which were memorable.

My comparison of the two was not to suggest that Wes is en route to Tammy's influence of today, rather that there are parallels and that premature judgemental opinions are just that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, A'Villan said:

And Rickie Lambert got his big chance at age 30. Sometimes the stars don't always align in a textbook manner from one player to the next.

I would agree for sure that Wes is further behind in his development than Abraham but not necessarily Tammy back then, Wes is less stylish but has been as effective.

Also agree that Tammy has a greater natural ability, but hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard, and so Wes' development is in his hands.

Unfortunately Wes does seem to be lackadaisical at times, Tammy had an intensity and care factor for his own standards but also the club which were memorable.

My comparison of the two was not to suggest that Wes is en route to Tammy's influence of today, rather that there are parallels and that premature judgemental opinions are just that.

Isn't it documented that he started playing football at a LATE age in comparison to most professional players?

The team obviously see raw qualities they can develop into something, and it probably will take more time to harness.

He could also obviously just turn out to be a total dud, however it is still to early to make a final judgement one way of the other,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A'Villan said:

I love your posts mate. Such an informative and balanced poster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, sne said:

Sorry but just had to try and lighten the mood:

57d18ccfe10c1b8b72567321c7cbcaff.jpg

• Like 1

Â