Minnesota, USA (Jul 18)

I think Jota looks good but we will definitely need a right footed player down that side as an option.

I like the look of Wes. He reminds me a lot of Tekkers when he first arrived. He's going to need back up though.

Cracking goal too.  

I thought that was a good half for a pre-season friendly although, someone forgot to tell our opponents about thr friendly bit! 

Jota is playing really well and will create loads playing like that. Remember, he's playing with intelligent footballers now, not the cave-dwellers from Small Heath! 

Good save from Steer. Bree made a few good runs, Targett as well. Konsa and Hause looked decent enough apart from one error from Hause. Conor is same as usual. O'Hare seems like a stunt double for Jack. El Ghazi has been making good runs in behind their defence but would love to see him take the full back on down the outside. Wesley needs to sharpen his finishing but he looks quick and has a good touch. Jack's his usual self but has added a skill of scoring an invisible goal. 

Looking forward to the second half and the return of the beast to the Villa shirt :flag:

Jota looks similar to Jack for me, in the sense that he seems to have zero pace, but ALL the skill to dance, move, and pass his way around opposition.

Obviously first half of first preseason match is not sufficient to judge anybody.

Just now, Daweii said:

Kalinic, Guilbert, Chester, Mings, Taylor, McGinn, Lansbury, Bjarnason, Davis, Green, Hogan

I wish I'd put that up earlier - it's almost exactly what I thought it'd be - I thought we might see Kodjia on the left though. 

Is Hogan going to play on the left hand side here?

Jota has been bright and been involved in basically everything good we've done.

Bree had a half to forget. Has ability going forward but defensively nearly everything they've done has come from him being missing or a cock up.

Wesley looks a little off the pace, but glimpses of ability with the ball. Not sure I want to see a striker having a whinge at a team mate in a preseason match when he's moved at the moment the ball is played.

Target is better than Neil Taylor and therefore has done everything he needed to.

Konza is surprisingly composed with the ball. At one point he basically managed to turn a hopeless situation up against the touchline into a much safer throw in. 

Hause has done well too. They make a decent partnership on this showing.

O'Hare sadly hasn't really been able to put an impact on the game. He has had a few touches and never stops running, but it's all for naught. Might not be good enough unfortunately. Needs a loan again I think. 

Everyone else as expected. In grim conditions too, everyone had shirts absolutely drenched within 20 minutes. I think 45 minutes will take it's toll, even with the usual preseason fitness.

• Like 3

Can we run some kind of book here to make this more interesting?

• Number of times female commentator effusively praises a lazy jog or basic pass
  • Number of times a Minnesota player two-footed scissor tackles one of our midfielders
  • Number of times El Ghazi shanks it into Row Z
  • Number of times they talk about Abu Danladi like he's got the quality to be the next Zidane

9 minutes ago, villadude said:

Same for me, I kept refreshing the screen then it worked ok.

Cheers. Tried that but nothing....so switched my iPad and off and tried phone....works fine and actually picked up the coverage where I lost it ( so I’m 10 mins behind).

Tablet still says restricted.....Id be interested if a Tech savvy person could explain that ! ( in the morning lol)

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I wish I'd put that up earlier - it's almost exactly what I thought it'd be - I thought we might see Kodjia on the left though. 

Is Hogan going to play on the left hand side here?

I was curious about that myself. It looks based on the start of the half that he's playing centrally and Davis is on the left/roaming. 

Â