The Biased Broadcasting Corporation

bickster

Sturgeon found not guilty of breaching the Ministerial Code.

I expect there will be wall to wall coverage and a Panorama special and a Newsnight special.

Like there was a week or two ago when they went big on the fact she ‘might’ be guilty and would have to resign.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The BBC's steadfast refusal to acknowledge this story is perhaps the most shameful episode in its modern history.

If you want to know how censorship works in a modern democracy, this is it.

Like a cheap conjuring trick . . .

I suppose someone could say 'well why did they have it in the pile if they weren't going to talk about it', but really why wouldn't you have that towards the top of the list? I mean it's more interesting than 'The Sun has a royal story there'.

25 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The BBC's steadfast refusal to acknowledge this story is perhaps the most shameful episode in its modern history.

If you want to know how censorship works in a modern democracy, this is it.

This definitely appears to be them "acknowledging the story" doesn't it?

• Like 4

Good lesson there that every fact should be double checked before getting outraged. It's all too easy to fall for misinformation especially when it's exactly the sort of thing you expect to happen.

Fair enough, they've still made no mention of it anywhere online and they've completely closed down all of their "have your say" sections on any story about politics to prevent people talking about it. 

The clip above goes some way to countering the point made in the tweet, but for me the BBC are still working very, very hard to not make this a story.

• Like 1

BBC is dead as a news platform for a lot of people now until one day The Tories get voted out and it can breathe again. For now though, it’s lost to the nazis in charge.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Fair enough, they've still made no mention of it anywhere online and they've completely closed down all of their "have your say" sections on any story about politics to prevent people talking about it. 

The clip above goes some way to countering the point made in the tweet, but for me the BBC are still working very, very hard to not make this a story.

I mean, I think that Johnson is a despicable wrong 'un as much as the next sensible person, and that much of the BBC coverage of the Government is that of a bunch of arselicking poodles - but The Mirror piece isn't really a story at the moment.

There's nothing new in there regarding any supposed impropriety that wasn't known about last year. If their interview had been along the lines of "yes, I did get a load of taxpayer cash just because I was inexplicably having an affair with that big pile of hair and racism" then I expect it would be getting a lot more traction in more high-brow places than The Mirror.  But until then, it's just a rather repulsive woman telling the world a load of repulsive stuff about her sex life with an even more repulsive man. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So the beeb getting a bit of stick for the amount of coverage of Phil. 

I can’t remember it, but there’s a suggestion that they weren’t quite sombre enough back when the Queen mum died and they’ve remembered this criticism and gone the other way (the most notable example seems to be that Peter Sissons wore a tie that wasn’t black when making the announcement..... quite why they didn’t bring back capital punishment for that offence I can’t determine).

I accept it would have been difficult to please everyone. But what would have been the course that would have recorded the fewest complaints? The optimal level of reverence if you like.

BBC one doing the royal coverage, “Eastenders” and the other inexplicably popular shows moved onto BBC Two and everything else basically the same? To me it seems the more obvious thing to do rather than literally duplicate the coverage on One and Two and cancel other programming elsewhere.

• Like 2

That'd have worked with me. I'm ok with this recieving top billing, but cancelling everything else and changing the output of radio and TV stations to be suitable for a period of national mourning feels woefully out of touch, to me.

You'd think the country was wearing black and engaged in contemplative silence, rather than mostly not giving a shit.

Having said that, the bellend in my street who flies the Union Jack in his garden lowered it to half mast while the national anthem was blaring from his stereo last night, so maybe I'm the one that's out of touch.

28 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

So the beeb getting a bit of stick for the amount of coverage of Phil. 

I can’t remember it, but there’s a suggestion that they weren’t quite sombre enough back when the Queen mum died and they’ve remembered this criticism and gone the other way (the most notable example seems to be that Peter Sissons wore a tie that wasn’t black when making the announcement..... quite why they didn’t bring back capital punishment for that offence I can’t determine).

I accept it would have been difficult to please everyone. But what would have been the course that would have recorded the fewest complaints? The optimal level of reverence if you like.

BBC one doing the royal coverage, “Eastenders” and the other inexplicably popular shows moved onto BBC Two and everything else basically the same? To me it seems the more obvious thing to do rather than literally duplicate the coverage on One and Two and cancel other programming elsewhere.

Yeah, it seems really strange to me they're running exactly the same stuff on BBC 1 and 2 simultaneously. Even the most ardent royalist would probably be willing to press one button on their remote to access 24/7 memorial coverage, so devoting more than one channel to this is weird.

Honestly if I'd been in charge I'd probably just have put an hour-long special on his life on in a primetime slot (because they have to have one made already) and then just done hourly 2-minute news updates telling people what happened and advertising the special. Maybe that wouldn't have been enough coverage but in some ways I think a short program that covered his life in-depth and paid rose-tinted tribute to the things he did would be a far better memorial than hours and hours of shallow coverage and random anecdotes from people who met him once. I generally find life stories interesting (especially when they span almost a full century) so I'd probably have given it a watch.

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Like 1

6 music was the weird one for me - I mean, the BBC have got Radio 4 which would be the natural home of the Royal family watcher, Radio 2 would have been good, Radio 5 because it's news. Radio 1 seems unfortunate, but I guess they wanted that demographic even though that demographic patently aren't feeling any sort of loss, but 6 Music?

• Like 2

On 10/04/2021 at 14:01, OutByEaster? said:

6 music was the weird one for me - I mean, the BBC have got Radio 4 which would be the natural home of the Royal family watcher, Radio 2 would have been good, Radio 5 because it's news. Radio 1 seems unfortunate, but I guess they wanted that demographic even though that demographic patently aren't feeling any sort of loss, but 6 Music?

6 Music is a tad surreal tonight. They’ve shuffled the schedule so the lovely and inoffensive Tom Robinson gets an extended hour. Abandoned the Freak Zone (boo, what show could be more funereal) but put Stuart Maccone on playing freak zone friendly music with added FUNK (yep that’s a little bit dangerous). The presenters aren’t actually mentioning why but it’s a special schedule for this weekend, like it’s a big secret.

Then it dawned on me, it’s the greatest tribute to Prince Philip ever, they've removed that nasty dread operator Don Letts from the airwaves for a week because the Prince would be down with doing that.

Cripes they need to have a word with themselves

• 2 weeks later...
Â