Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

48 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

In a beautiful way, there's something very comforting about the Villa collective mourning about this, like we've lost an important family member. 

Not many football players gain that reputation from fans and it just shows how special Tyrone Mings (the person) has become for our football club family.

I'm sure he'll never likely read this thread, but I'm sure he'd get some comfort knowing the effect he's personally had on a collection of unknown football fans (spanning across the globe). 

He'll be the person feeling least sorry for himself though.  Others in this thread are right when they say he'll still be a visible presence around the club and he will be urging the other guys to pick up where they left last season. 

Amen 

• Like 2

Gutted for the guy. Got to wonder if that's the last time we'll see him in a Villa shirt. I really hope not but given his age a 15 month lay off then the time it takes to get back what you've lost in terms of fitness and match sharpness I have serious doubts. He's been such a presence for the club on and off the field and such a great ambassador for the game with his kids academy I hope the club does right by him.

3 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Gutted for the guy. Got to wonder if that's the last time we'll see him in a Villa shirt. I really hope not but given his age a 15 month lay off then the time it takes to get back what you've lost in terms of fitness and match sharpness I have serious doubts. He's been such a presence for the club on and off the field and such a great ambassador for the game with his kids academy I hope the club does right by him.

Can we just stop with the 15 month layoffs. It's a number plucked from nowhere.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

Just out of interest, and a genuine question, is this the kind of injury that builds up over time and then takes the slightest awkward moment to trigger? Or is it just a freak one off incident that cause the knee to go? 

Like, lets say Tyrone didn't suffer the injury against Newcastle, would it only have been a matter of time before it went? It's just that he wasn't aware of how weak it had become?

I just find it odd it looked so innocuous when it happened. Almost like it was going to happen at some point regardless given what little triggered it. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Khizzy said:

A potential 15 months out and given our direction of travel, and his age, I hope this isn't the last time we see him put on a Villa shirt. The sad thing is that he had really found his form again under Emery last season. 

If our direction of travel takes us beyond Mings by the time he returns,  in a similar way to how it might have done for Carlos if we sign someone else, then it would be a good thing for Villa as would probably mean we've sustained European finishes. If that were the case then Mings can take heart in the fact he was an absolutely key component of us getting where we are (in that hypothetical scenario).

From the championship to the Europa conference league, we owe a lot to Mings for that.

Hopefully he's back early next season, the injury doesn't recur, and he picks up where he left off in terms of his ability.  If that happens, he'll still have a place with us even if we finish in the top 6 this season. Guess that's the dream scenario. 

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Just out of interest, and a genuine question, is this the kind of injury that builds up over time and then takes the slightest awkward moment to trigger? Or is it just a freak one off incident that cause the knee to go? 

Like, lets say Tyrone didn't suffer the injury against Newcastle, would it only have been a matter of time before it went? It's just that he wasn't aware of how weak it had become?

I just find it odd it looked so innocuous when it happened. Almost like it was going to happen at some point regardless given what little triggered it. 

I wondered this. These were my random thoughts on it...

Some did say it only happened because he played the player instead of the ball. I can't bring myself to watch it back so can't really comment on that. But that being his style, there's probably a chance it could have happened at any point during the season. 

The specifics of the tackle though,  may mean it never would have...

He wouldn't have been fighting against Isak for 95% of the season. Whilst he's not seemingly built like a tank, he might have certain characteristics that make the challenge on him play out the way it did

Mings wouldn't have been on that pitch again this season (probably), that may have had a slightly firmer than usual surface that gripped more than any other ground will this season.  Maybe even that specific part of the pitch where the ground gets less cut up during a game, than in the middle had an impact. 

The tackle was made with Mings probably knowing Isak was offside so perhaps he didn't go into it with the full conviction he might have, and so for such a challenge to even be needed again in the season may be unlikely. 

It was the first game of the season and he wouldn't be fully match fit. His joints and muscles may have strengthened as the season progressed and provided more protection. 

There's just so many factors, I think it was just incredibly bad luck. 

Edited by MrBlack

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Both.

Like essentially all of the human body, the ACL suffers micro tears over time. There are a myriad of reasons why it will snap and/or tear - genetics, luck, biomechanics - but given the pivoting and inhuman athletic acts players perform, they are obviously more susceptible. 

Given that it occurred during essentially no contact (ala Ben Mee), its unfortunately one of those things that was likely bound to happen. 

It will continue to be exacerbated by the increasing number of minutes each player plays

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

The irony is, that if the assistant had flagged for offside instead of following the recent rule-change, and letting things go on, Mings would not have been injured.

Is there any news as to whether it is the same knee, which kept him out for 15 months at Bournemouth?

10 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The irony is, that if the assistant had flagged for offside instead of following the recent rule-change, and letting things go on, Mings would not have been injured.

Is there any news as to whether it is the same knee, which kept him out for 15 months at Bournemouth?

Its frustrating  but we simply do not know if at any other point of the game he could have done it.  Its just rotten luck 

Get well soon Ty. Wish some of the bed wetters on Twitter would stop this “he’s played his last game for us” nonsense. He will be back stronger next year. Have faith. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Somebody earlier in the thread mentioned it was his other knee

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Get well soon Ty. Wish some of the bed wetters on Twitter would stop this “he’s played his last game for us” nonsense. He will be back stronger next year. Have faith. 

Yeah exactly. He almost certainly won't play again this season but people need to get a grip with this "we'll never see him again" BS. He's only 30 as well.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Yeah exactly. He almost certainly won't play again this season but people need to get a grip with this "we'll never see him again" BS. He's only 30 as well.

For sure. We are all absolutely gutted. I just wish some wouldn’t wallow in the misery of it. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

Â