Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

13 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Remember when he said he's learning what it means to become a world class CB under Emery and everybody laughed, even though he wasn't saying he was becoming world class? Well, he's becoming world class anyway.

Prime click bait that was, so many football twitter accounts tweeted that knowing the backlash he’d get from other fans reading in a certain way

• Like 2

It’s certainly striking how much better his form is when working with a top class coach, or when we had a top-class CB in Terry around to give him guidance (this is even more true for Konsa imo).

Both of them have been brilliant for quite a while now.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Surely a cert for the next England squad? Same with Ollie.

You do remember that Southgate is the manager?  Far from a cert, in fact the opposite is probably true.  We can see from recent squads that he picks players he knows whether on form or even playing.  Whether that is right, that’s exactly what he’s doing so we can’t say that either Mings or Ollie is a cert because Southgate doesn’t pick his squad like that or based on current form.  I’m not criticising him just stating how he works.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

You do remember that Southgate is the manager?  Far from a cert, in fact the opposite is probably true.  We can see from recent squads that he picks players he knows whether on form or even playing.  Whether that is right, that’s exactly what he’s doing so we can’t say that either Mings or Ollie is a cert because Southgate doesn’t pick his squad like that or based on current form.  I’m not criticising him just stating how he works.

He's been to our last few games, who's he there to watch?

He could ignore Mings and Watkins before because we were midtable.  Now we are knocking on European spots, he can't keep ignoring them when the spotlight is now starting to shine on us. 

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He's been to our last few games, who's he there to watch?

He could ignore Mings and Watkins before because we were midtable.  Now we are knocking on European spots, he can't keep ignoring them when the spotlight is now starting to shine on us. 

He goes to a fair few of our games to be fair to him.  I’m not a fan of his but his attendance at games across all PL teams is very good, it’s his selections I have issue with.  

He can ignore them, he did with Grealish when with us and there are other teams players he does with it.  He has his favourites and feels comfortable with them.  It’s also not as if the London media are going to be crying if they don’t get picked, they’ll put them in the conversation as pushing for a spot but won’t be crying foul if they don’t get picked.  It’s life as a non-sky6 team players.

Hopefully they’ll get picked but wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t.  I’m also not fussed because I’d prefer them having two weeks of training and rest with Emery than with Southgate and then be ignored for playing anyway plus other team players in their ears suggesting they should move from Villa.  

I understand that Villa players feel better if they get England recognition and if it wasn’t for that I’d rather none of our players get picked internationally because I see more downside for Villa than upside because while recognition is great, the chance of injuries, their head being turned, lesser coaching and travel tiredness is greater imo.

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

He goes to a fair few of our games to be fair to him.  I’m not a fan of his but his attendance at games across all PL teams is very good, it’s his selections I have issue with.  

He can ignore them, he did with Grealish when with us and there are other teams players he does with it.  He has his favourites and feels comfortable with them.  It’s also not as if the London media are going to be crying if they don’t get picked, they’ll put them in the conversation as pushing for a spot but won’t be crying foul if they don’t get picked.  It’s life as a non-sky6 team players.

Hopefully they’ll get picked but wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t.  I’m also not fussed because I’d prefer them having two weeks of training and rest with Emery than with Southgate and then be ignored for playing anyway plus other team players in their ears suggesting they should move from Villa.  

I understand that Villa players feel better if they get England recognition and if it wasn’t for that I’d rather none of our players get picked internationally because I see more downside for Villa than upside because while recognition is great, the chance of injuries, their head being turned, lesser coaching and travel tiredness is greater imo.

I don’t believe Southgate has anything against Watkins, he’s picked him before and will probably do it again if Ollie keeps his form. Mings is another story, it seems to me Southgate listens a lot to what loudmouths say online and Mings has had plenty of detractors.

7 hours ago, nick76 said:

I make you right - I’m fairly confident that Ollie will make the squad - the papers will slaughter him otherwise, however Ty is a separate matter. I don’t think he will play for England again, not whilst Southgate is in charge, barring a calamity of injuries.

I don’t hate on Southgate tbh - he was exceptional as a player for us and in fairness he has not done a bad job, with the national team, but I’ll admit for whatever reason he is blinkered at B6.

I think he made his mind up on Ty when he was in the stands and Ty made that glaring error ( was it Everton ??) I just don’t think he has looked past this, remarkable in many respects given McGuires form 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Both Mings and Watkins will called up next squad if finish the season strong. 

Based on what? I agree with some of the others about Ollie likely getting called up but I agree with about Ty and Southgate.  Southgate has shown time and time again he doesn’t always pick on form or playing.  It’s done him well to a certain extent.  I’m not expecting Ty to get called up however the season finishes although I hope he does.  Ollie I have more hope that he’ll get a call up but again I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t.  Southgate doesn’t work like that.

10 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

I make you right - I’m fairly confident that Ollie will make the squad - the papers will slaughter him otherwise, however Ty is a separate matter. I don’t think he will play for England again, not whilst Southgate is in charge, barring a calamity of injuries.

I don’t hate on Southgate tbh - he was exceptional as a player for us and in fairness he has not done a bad job, with the national team, but I’ll admit for whatever reason he is blinkered at B6.

I think he made his mind up on Ty when he was in the stands and Ty made that glaring error ( was it Everton ??) I just don’t think he has looked past this, remarkable in many respects given McGuires form 

I don’t hate Southgate either, I think with the players he’s got he doesn’t utilise the best squad we’ve had for ages but he’s got far into competitions despite boring regular performances. I think it’s more that just blinkered about B6, I think it’s blinkered about outside the Sky6 plus he has favourites that are untouchable and I hate that he seems to push players to move from non-Sky6 clubs yet his successful playing career was for clubs outside the Sky6.  So I do worry if Ollie and Ty go to England camp.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Based on what? I agree with some of the others about Ollie likely getting called up but I agree with about Ty and Southgate.  Southgate has shown time and time again he doesn’t always pick on form or playing.  It’s done him well to a certain extent.  I’m not expecting Ty to get called up however the season finishes although I hope he does.  Ollie I have more hope that he’ll get a call up but again I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t.  Southgate doesn’t work like that.

I've said it before but I'd be really interested to see who Southgate picks once slabhead is playing for West Ham next year 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Based on us becoming a top 6 club if both Villa and the players mentioned finish the season strong.  I just don’t think Southgate will be able to ignore this.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Based on us becoming a top 6 club if both Villa and the players mentioned finish the season strong.  I just don’t think Southgate will be able to ignore this.

Fair enough! We may finish the season in the top 6 but we aren’t a sky6 team.  Anyway I only care about Villa so not bothered either way but I know it means a lot to the players.  

• Like 1

Â