Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

Mings was interviewed about a week ago and he was talking about the defenders celebrating catching players offside because that’s what they work on.

Defenders, meanwhile, are drilled on staying in line to help catch opposition forwards offside – something which paid off against Leeds when Rodrigo saw a first half effort chalked off.

Mings said: “You see us celebrate offsides - quite heavily - because that’s what we are focused upon. If we hold our line and the attacker is offside, it’s dead. You saw that against Leeds with their disallowed goal.”

E&S link

Plus we saw only recently what can happen if a defender touches the ball and it still goes through to the striker. Offside rule goes out the window.

I don’t know whether he knew the forward was offside, unless he states outright, we won’t know. But as he literally stated they’re working on it, I’m inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he and Konsa had their defensive line worked out. Because he was clearly offside.

• Like 3

On 16/10/2022 at 16:49, SuperTed said:

You make a good point but still doesn’t make for pleasant reading. I’m not sure of the statistics for errors leading to shots but again I imagine he’d be quite high up there too. I don’t think he’s good enough to be honest. For me he sits with El Ghazi, Trez, etc. Thank you for what you’ve done for the club but it’s time to move on. Just my opinion and I know a few will shoot me down but if we’re serious about progressing, even without Gerrard, we need a better CB. 

Happily will retract these comments and admit he’s been brilliant since Emery came in. Genuinely really pleased for him and long may it continue. Love you Ty! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Mings was interviewed about a week ago and he was talking about the defenders celebrating catching players offside because that’s what they work on.

E&S link

Plus we saw only recently what can happen if a defender touches the ball and it still goes through to the striker. Offside rule goes out the window.

I don’t know whether he knew the forward was offside, unless he states outright, we won’t know. But as he literally stated they’re working on it, I’m inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he and Konsa had their defensive line worked out. Because he was clearly offside.

He 100% knew, because in the build up he checked the line, twice and then knew to let the ball go as he was sure they were offside. Credit where it's due, that's good defending like any blocked shot is

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

Happily will retract these comments and admit he’s been brilliant since Emery came in. Genuinely really pleased for him and long may it continue. Love you Ty! 

He was brilliant under Smith and now again under Emery. Or more you could say last season he had a blip the season before last and this season he's been superb

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He 100% knew, because in the build up he checked the line, twice and then knew to let the ball go as he was sure they were offside. Credit where it's due, that's good defending like any blocked shot is

Agreed. It's really irritated me reading some reports about us being "fortunate" that they had one ruled out for offside. It wasn't fortunate, both of their forwards were clearly off, and we knew it.

Just now, Davkaus said:

Agreed. It's really irritated me reading some reports about us being "fortunate" that they had one ruled out for offside. It wasn't fortunate, both of their forwards were clearly off, and we knew it.

Yeah it wasn't even VAR that rules it out, it was clear as day to linesman 

52 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Zero surprises that he's back to his best under the right Manager. Just wish Gerrard torpedoing the side didn't cost him and possibly a few of his teammates a WC spot.

He was still playing well under Gerrard. The lack of WC call up was purely on Southgate 

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's bizarre that it's sometimes use as a negative against the defence when it really is a positive as it shows they're doing their job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Also just seen a stat come up on sky sports there. Most interceptions in PL. C Doucoure is 1st on 33, Rice 2nd, Gueye 3rd with Mings 4th on 30, Soucek 5th on 29. So he's the only non CM in the top 5

19 of them have come since the Brentford game

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

He was still playing well under Gerrard. The lack of WC call up was purely on Southgate 

Agree! We were just on the nose because of our awful form. If the squad was being picked today, I think Mings probably goes despite Southgate.

My biggest criticism of Mings until recently was his tendency to drop behind everyone and play everyone onside.  Emery seems to be fixing that and the only times we've seen the back four getting caught out recently has been one of the fullbacks not holding the line, which tends to be the "normal" way that defences get caught out (fullbacks tracking runners too deep).  If he can speed-up his brain/decision making on the ball (he still tends to think about his pass after he's got it under control as opposed to knowing his next move before he gets it) then he will have eradicated two of his flaws. 

Â