Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, kevpants said:

The Mings bashing has to stop. It's bordering on bullying/abuse now.

Absolutely ridiculous. We're posting on a message board our opinion of a player and his worth to the team. I'm not hearing anybody shouting abuse at him from the stands.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I actually thought Mings was causing them problems when driving forward first half. Ok didn’t come to much but it was definitely causing issues for them.

His runs forward were brilliant, and he very nearly set up a goal.

Watching Liverpool v Leicester, they had Matip doing something similar, so it's maybe something Gerrard has picked up from Klopp as a way of creating overloads.

• Like 1

Fact is he has more touches, makes more progressive passes, has more carries, clearances, tackles & interceptions, aerial duels won, recoveries, & blocks than konsa. He is also our organiser at the back

There's a reason he makes more mistakes. He takes on more responsibility

Taken from elsewhere 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I actually thought Mings was causing them problems when driving forward first half. Ok didn’t come to much but it was definitely causing issues for them.

He probably should have had an assist for Digne, he dummied one of the defenders out of the game

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, spiezels said:

Fact is he has more touches, makes more progressive passes, has more carries, clearances, tackles & interceptions, aerial duels won, recoveries, & blocks than konsa. He is also our organiser at the back

There's a reason he makes more mistakes. He takes on more responsibility

Taken from elsewhere 

I think its a fair shout.

Albeit, its is hard to just sit an watch, school boy errors.

Tyrone for me transformed our back line when he came, But he needs much better protection,than he is getting, as in this league, the better offensive players will test you more.

Much of the stuff he gets involved in, the midfielders should be involved, in tracking back.....they are too passive at times.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think its a fair shout.

Albeit, its is hard to just sit an watch, school boy errors.

Tyrone for me transformed our back line when he came, But he needs much better protection,than he is getting, as in this league, the better offensive players will test you more.

Much of the stuff he gets involved in, the midfielders should be involved, in tracking back.....they are too passive at times.

He does make a lot of schoolboy errors, that is the one aspect of his game i worry about. Gerrard needs to calm him down a bit. 

30 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Has Mings been getting it really bad on social media. I only really use VT but I’ve been told by mates he has. What’s wrong with people?

It’s pretty grim actually. 

Our own fans make compilations of his mistakes in a game, say the 3 goals and a time he misplaced a pass and post them, they then get reposted and liked by hundreds sometimes thousands of other fans including villa, where people rinse him. 

You could make a negative or positive compilation for any player in any game so it’s bullshit and pretty low.

especially when well followed often villa accounts, re post them. 

• Like 1

The irony is.....Tyrone Mings is still our best defender.

It's a team thing.

When centre backs get that exposed, errors are bound to occur.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Who is a top 6 centre back though. Eric Dier, Davinson Sanchez, Lindelof, John Stones, Soyuncu, the incredible ball playing Harry Maguire 

They were regular top 6 Premier League defenders over the last few seasons 

This is spot on. The quality of centre backs across the league is pretty poor. Or perhaps its the quality of the attacking that is good at the moment.  Football is rewarding fluid attacking teams, not defensive minded teams (see Man City) so it's not a surprise to see the average quality of defenders in the top 6 be pretty poor.

And yes, Mings is as good/bad as any of those listed.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

You guys are making some good points about quality of defenders in the PL.

The attacking quality of virtually every PL team is of a very high standard just look at the goals conceded column, there are only four or five teams who are good at keeping the goals out.

6 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

You guys are making some good points about quality of defenders in the PL.

The attacking quality of virtually every PL team is of a very high standard just look at the goals conceded column, there are only four or five teams who are good at keeping the goals out.

Yes that shows just how good van dijk is, playing in a team that scores nearly 3 goals a game and conceding less than a goal a game. 

What saddens me is when our manager states that the team will always stand together you can tell he is talking about abuse from our own fans. If we are okay slinging abuse like that against our own player then maybe it is time for him to move on. If I'm tired of all the bleating everytime he miscontrols a ball then I know Mings is completely done with it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Yes that shows just how good van dijk is, playing in a team that scores nearly 3 goals a game and conceding less than a goal a game. 

Then surely Dias and Laporte are much better or Matip is his equal

Liverpool are far off scoring 3 goals a game this season 

Â