Cardiff player on missing plane

Guest av1

BBC

There is "genuine concern" Premier League footballer Emiliano Sala was on a light aircraft which disappeared between France and Cardiff.

It is feared the Argentine striker was one of two people on board the Piper Malibu, which went missing off Alderney in the Channel Islands on Monday night.

Cardiff City, which signed the 28-year-old from French club Nantes on Saturday, said it was "seeking clarification" as to what happened.

A search resumed at 08:00 GMT.

Guernsey police said "no trace" of the missing aircraft had been found.

It left Nantes at 19:15 and had been flying at 5,000ft when it contacted Jersey air traffic control requesting descent, the force said.

The plane lost contact while at 2,300ft.

Just terrible, not looking good.

First Leicester and now this.

I know footballers are restricted by insurance of doing things like skiing and riding motorbikes I wonder after this and the Leicester incident players might start finding they are subject to more restrictions. The value of modern players as assets is ridiculous.

Anyway let’s hope this isn’t what it appears and he just realised Warnock is a knob and has gone on holiday instead.

Fingers crossed for whoever is on that plane.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Just terrible, not looking good.

First Leicester and now this.

I know footballers are restricted by insurance of doing things like skiing and riding motorbikes I wonder after this and the Leicester incident players might start finding they are subject to more restrictions. The value of modern players as assets is ridiculous.

Anyway let’s hope this isn’t what it appears and he just realised Warnock is a knob and has gone on holiday instead.

Fingers crossed for whoever is on that plane.

Was thinking the same thing.

Perhaps he saw the "help me!!!" picture of Niasse when he signed earlier in the week and got cold feet, switched off the transponder in the plane and made a mad dash over the Atlantic back to South America.

Really hope that's what happened.

Tragic story.

18 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

the number of checks they have to go through before every flight though they're still so much safer than a road vehicle that just needs to be checked annually...it's just tragic coincidence we've had 2 instances in a relatively short time but there's surely still more chance of the team bus crashing than something like this

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It would obviously be desperately sad no matter what, but for it to happen just as he was beginning a new chapter of his life, and a whole new beginning, seems especially cruel. 

The particular irony being that if he hadn't signed for Cardiff he wouldn't have been on the plane.

We never know how our choices can have a profound impact on our future.

I hope to McGrath all on board are ok, however bleak it currently appears.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

the number of checks they have to go through before every flight though they're still so much safer than a road vehicle that just needs to be checked annually...it's just tragic coincidence we've had 2 instances in a relatively short time but there's surely still more chance of the team bus crashing than something like this

Is that so with light aircrafts though?  Accidents seem a lot more common with them.

Horrendous, hard to see anything beyond a tragic outcome on this one. 

Is this unprecedented? I don't recall it happening before, certainly not at such a high profile anyway. I know players have perished on planes before (Man United, chapocoense etc) but in terms of someone dying en route to a new club? 

11 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Is that so with light aircrafts though?  Accidents seem a lot more common with them.

i'm no aviation expert by any means, but i thought they did...probably not as thorough as one carrying 200 people admittedly

21 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Is this unprecedented? I don't recall it happening before, certainly not at such a high profile anyway. I know players have perished on planes before (Man United, chapocoense etc) but in terms of someone dying en route to a new club? 

Without wanting to make a joke about it. It does sound like something from an episode of Dream Team

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

Yes, but you’ve a better chance of walking away from that. 

58 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Not that it matters but think he was returning, he had signed for them already.

Â