Drones at Gatwick

LakotaDakota

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

Most modern consumer drones' firmware won't allow it to fly in restricted zones. To override this you need to install modified firmware, which very few people (comparative to the number of drones out there) would bother to do. 

This. My company used drones close to an airport for geo-mapping and due to the airport it was a real headache to get the job done. This is not some random bloke having fun methinks. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

How does this fancy firmware stopping the drones go into airports work? I can’t see how it could stop it tbh.

GPS. The drone recognises where it is and if that area is designated as restricted, it will prevent or limit the operators ability to enter it. To the extent some drones won't even take off inside certain zones.

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

GPS. The drone recognises where it is and if that area is designated as restricted, it will prevent or limit the operators ability to enter it. To the extent some drones won't even take off inside certain zones.

I wouldn’t have thought that many of them would have that technology in them? Especially with a lot of them being imported from China. Couldn’t you just remove/disconnect the GPS if it did have it? 

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I wouldn’t have thought that many of them would have that technology in them? Especially with a lot of them being imported from China. Couldn’t you just remove/disconnect the GPS if it did have it? 

Raspberry Pi your own OS.

This introduction to the perils of drones could have been much worse.

Commercial aircraft are going to need countermeasures.

Possibly radar guided small arms, more likely jammers or their own drone pod?

Ever so slightly off topic but I always wondered why airplane jet engines don’t have grills in front of them to stop things like birds (and drones) getting sucked in. Could be angled/tapered so that hazards bounce away when struck.

I suppose some of the bigger ones are a risk when hitting the other parts of the plane.

Edited by Genie

27 minutes ago, Genie said:

Toy and beginner level ones won't but beyond that it's a feature many people will want, it makes some flying techniques easier and offers things like return to operator, focus on spot/hovering and so on. Even surprisingly cheap drones have it.

You can disconnect the GPS, and firmware can be altered to override features, but many people aren't going to bother doing that because they will want the features GPS offers (and generally most people are smart enough to know that flying a drone somewhere like an airport is **** stupid).

32 minutes ago, Genie said:

Ever so slightly off topic but I always wondered why airplane jet engines don’t have grills in front of them to stop things like birds (and drones) getting sucked in. Could be angled/tapered so that hazards bounce away when struck.

I suppose some of the bigger ones are a risk when hitting the other parts of the plane.

Air intake requirements. Blocking the front of the engine in any way is going to significantly impact it's performance.

This person behind it must be complwtely thick. The more they do it the more likely they are to be caught.

It's pathetic though I feel for all those passengers effected..the perpetrator has to be made a example of so there is no repeat of this at other airports. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

They should be tied to the runway as punishment.  rocket polishers.

And make the person pay out of his or her ears to compensate some of the passengers that have paid for weddings or not been able.to attend funerals.

What a cruel rocket polisher thia person is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This person behind it must be complwtely thick. The more they do it the more likely they are to be caught.

It's pathetic though I feel for all those passengers effected..the perpetrator has to be made a example of so there is no repeat of this at other airports. 

Hopefully it persuades the relevant authorities to invest in the relevant security systems to combat drones at airports. There must be some kind of drone dome system available? 

• Like 1

The most dangerous places for a drone to hit a plane are the nose and wings. 

Therefore every plane should be equipped with a series of spinning blades in those vital areas. The blades would be powered by petrol engines and would spin so fast that they would shatter nearby drones.

I'm thinking of calling the device a "Professional drone repellor" 

If only I could think of a shorter name. 

Trust me........it's a winner. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Hopefully it persuades the relevant authorities to invest in the relevant security systems to combat drones at airports. There must be some kind of drone dome system available? 

The transport minister suggested this morning that there is something in place at Heathrow to stop this kind of thing occurring, but Gatwick hasn't installed the same system. 

As a private company that seems to have tried to save money by not installing them, I'd be tempted to send them an invoice for the police and army time. 

Â