Drones at Gatwick

LakotaDakota

Police now say they are doubtful if there ever was a drone

The pair were arrested after a tip-off

One suspects given the correct legal advice the pair will considerably better off than they currently are in a few years time, it's got wrongful arrest written all over it

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Police now say they are doubtful if there ever was a drone

The pair were arrested after a tip-off

One suspects given the correct legal advice the pair will considerably better off than they currently are in a few years time, it's got wrongful arrest written all over it

I thought this, because of the public humiliation here and lack of evidence they’ll make some money for sure.

If it turns out there’s no drones then heads need to roll.

I might be being a bit simple but I’d have thought the process would be:

-> “we think we’ve seen a drone”

-> someone checks for a drone

-> if yes, take precautions (stop flights)

-> if no, business as usual but keep an eye out. 

Must be me being a bit silly.

There was definitely at least a drone there - it was photographed and videoed, people saw it.

I've no idea why the police are saying there might not have been one. Presumably they don't turn up at a robbery and say 'in all honesty sir, there's no evidence you even had a TV'.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Chindie said:

There was definitely at least a drone there - it was photographed and videoed, people saw it.

I've no idea why the police are saying there might not have been one. Presumably they don't turn up at a robbery and say 'in all honesty sir, there's no evidence you even had a TV'.

This from the beeb suggests no footage?

Their release came as Sussex Police said they were relying on eye witnesses and there may have been no "genuine drone activity in the first place".

Det Ch Supt Jason Tingley said no footage of a drone had been obtained.

He said there was "always a possibility" the reported sightings of drones were mistaken.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46665615

• Like 1

Just now, Chindie said:

There's videos of it on Twitter. Even the Heil had footage of it sent on to them.

Are they 100% the same place at the same time? I’ve not followed this that closely but if the police say no footage has been obtained it sounds a bit odd.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I might be being a bit simple but I’d have thought the process would be:

-> “we think we’ve seen a drone”

-> someone checks for a drone

-> if yes, take precautions (stop flights)

-> if no, business as usual but keep an eye out. 

Must be me being a bit silly.

With respect, you are being a bit silly, imo.

A drone in an airport could have literally fatal consequences. Obviously getting accidentally sucked into a plane's engine during takeoff could be pretty deadly. But then there's also the assumption that if a drone is being deliberately flown around an airport then it could have very sinister intentions, to deliberately hurt or kill people.

So if you just let everything run as normal while someone "checks for a drone", which could take ages, then you run the risk of that drone killing people before it's found.

So yeah, I think it's absolutely right that if someone thinks they've seen a drone, you shut things down until you're sure there isn't one. Not the other way round.

Think of it like a bomb scare or a suspicious package being sighted. You don't just carry on as normal while someone checks to see if it's a bomb. You get everyone the **** out of there and then check.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Stupid headline but they haven't exactly said it's them. Just asked the question so I don't know if they can get done?

Imagine if the front page tomorrow had a big picture of you on it with the headline

"Is this moron a paedophile rapist?"

They're not saying you are one, they're just asking the question.

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

With respect, you are being a bit silly, imo.

A drone in an airport could have literally fatal consequences. Obviously getting accidentally sucked into a plane's engine during takeoff could be pretty deadly. But then there's also the assumption that if a drone is being deliberately flown around an airport then it could have very sinister intentions, to deliberately hurt or kill people.

So if you just let everything run as normal while someone "checks for a drone", which could take ages, then you run the risk of that drone killing people before it's found.

So yeah, I think it's absolutely right that if someone thinks they've seen a drone, you shut things down until you're sure there isn't one. Not the other way round.

Think of it like a bomb scare or a suspicious package being sighted. You don't just carry on as normal while someone checks to see if it's a bomb. You get everyone the **** out of there and then check.

It doesn’t say run as normal whilst you check... 

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Isn't that what they did then? They took precautions while they checked... i.e. stopped flights?

For a day and a half and the police are saying potentially never a drone there and no footage of one.

They've blatantly gone OTT. Hold flights for an hour or so, if the police, army, locals, Gatwick staff don’t find anything solid then crack on with the schedule with a heightened security / observation level (like a bomb scare). 

They’ve acted as if they found evidence of drones even though they didn’t which is odd. I’m not sure what to make of it tbh. This statement by the police seems to be distancing themselves from it (maybe to bill Gatwick for their input?).

Edited by Genie

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Imagine if the front page tomorrow had a big picture of you on it with the headline

"Is this moron a paedophile rapist?"

They're not saying you are one, they're just asking the question.

I'm.not saying its right but I'm generally asking woild there be a case against them as they can claim they are just reporting the news?

Â