Drones at Gatwick

LakotaDakota

On 24/12/2018 at 07:07, Demitri_C said:

I'm.not saying its right but I'm generally asking woild there be a case against them as they can claim they are just reporting the news?

I think this is a fair question. I'm not a libel lawyer, but it seems to me that they've probably left themselves enough plausible deniability to mean that it isn't actually libel, which is essentially the only meaningful check in our press regulation. 

I would love to be proven wrong, obviously. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think this is a fair question. I'm not a libel lawyer, but it seems to me that they've probably left themselves enough plausible deniability to mean that it isn't actually libel, which is essentially the only meaningful check in our press regulation. 

I would love to be proven wrong, obviously. 

I agree, I’m sure they know what they are doing. But in an “innocent until proven guilty” state, they can argue that they have been victimised as a result of the article and punished because of it. 

The paper didn’t have to publish the picture or their names. They could have waited 24 hours to see if they were charged.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I agree, I’m sure they know what they are doing. But in an “innocent until proven guilty” state, they can argue that they have been victimised as a result of the article and punished because of it. 

The paper didn’t have to publish the picture or their names. They could have waited 24 hours to see if they were charged.

Even if they were guilty, they could now claim that they can't get a fair trial as this has prejudiced any potential jurors.

Edited by limpid
  • Like 2

An actual libel lawyer thinks I'm wrong:

'The couple arrested and released without charge in relation to the Gatwick drone incident could win at least £75,000 from the newspapers who identified them, according to a leading libel lawyer.

Mark Stephens, head of media law at Howard Kennedy, said they had a strong legal case if they wished to pursue legal action. “Absent of a compelling reason and the police saying you can, you may no longer identify people who have been arrested.

“The damage is likely to be in the region of £75,000 to £125,000. It could be more when you total all of the news outlets, because each one is going to pay something for the damage it caused. I don’t see any lawyer who wouldn’t take it on a no-win-no-fee basis.”

Stephens said the case is the first major test of privacy law since Sir Cliff Richard’s landmark privacy victory against the BBC earlier this year, which set a higher bar for naming individuals who have been arrested but not charged.'

more on link: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/dec/25/couple-released-without-charge-over-gatwick-drone-could-win-libel-payout

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

'The couple arrested and released without charge in relation to the Gatwick drone incident could win at least £75,000 from the newspapers who identified them, according to a leading libel lawyer.

Mark Stephens, head of media law at Howard Kennedy, said they had a strong legal case if they wished to pursue legal action. “Absent of a compelling reason and the police saying you can, you may no longer identify people who have been arrested.

“The damage is likely to be in the region of £75,000 to £125,000. It could be more when you total all of the news outlets, because each one is going to pay something for the damage it caused. I don’t see any lawyer who wouldn’t take it on a no-win-no-fee basis.”

Stephens said the case is the first major test of privacy law since Sir Cliff Richard’s landmark privacy victory against the BBC earlier this year, which set a higher bar for naming individuals who have been arrested but not charged.'

more on link: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/dec/25/couple-released-without-charge-over-gatwick-drone-could-win-libel-payout

You can chuck the compo for wrongful arrest on top of that, which appears to be based on... someone grassed them up with zero corroboration

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I reckon I would risk the backlash of being wrongly identified by a paper for doing this if I got 125 grand as a result ;) 

Edited by Stevo985
Added a winking smiley so Snowychap knows this isn't a serious post.
  • Like 1

£125k is **** all for spending 36 hours in a cell, having your home searched and having your face plastered over the papers and accused of ruining Xmas! 

I'd like to start with an apology from the police and newspapers!

Then we can talk moolah...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

That's really your reply? Wow.

That's really my reply. It's Christmas, I'm not going to spend it arguing with you over a tongue in cheek post I made about a couple getting 125 grand. It wasn't meant to be taken so seriously.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That's really my reply. It's Christmas, I'm not going to spend it arguing with you over a tongue in cheek post I made about a couple getting 125 grand. It wasn't meant to be taken so seriously.

Of course it wasn't. You hide behind your rock. Merry christmas, Steven. Don't ever change.

Edited by snowychap
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

@NurembergVillan made a similar post to mine. You might get more of a bite out of him.

Happy fishing.

I also responded to Rob's post.

Don't you bother reading the threads in which you post?

Edit:

It's not about 'fishing', it's about honestly responding to the other posts people make.

My comment 'choice' in response to NV, was about how much choice the couple subjected to the invasion of the country/world's media had.

Edited by snowychap
  • Haha 1

Â