Match Thread: Villa v Middlesbrough

limpid

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

In the game we won 1-0 last season here in the league we had 11 shots on goal.

In the game we won 1-0 last season here in the playoffs we had 11 shots on goal.

In that half we had 13 shots on goal.

The whole change in philosophy is a joy to behold.

I'll give hourihane his fair dues. He is pretty limited and we need a better quality of midfielder but he has at least got his head up and played forward passes this half. Basic stuff. Smith had a shout at him early first half when he seen him dropping too deep again.

They will need to change their game in 2nd half. Provided our defence don’t screw it up we could get another few here. Unlike the SB days we will stay on the front foot.

Who is on our bench?

Edited by MikeMcKenna

I know it's not over, I know we might not win. 

But to 'control' a game like we have is so satisfying. The possession is important, and I don't mind it if we keep the ball for periods without threatening. And we look quite safe in possession, we're not perfect and we've been caught a few times. But it's nice.

The commentators have mentioned it a few times but we've tried hard to not lump it long from the back too much, as Abraham is going to find it tough against their massive defenders and also playing the ball into the box along the floor has been effective. It's simple, but it's smart stuff we haven't seen for quite a while. 

First impressions of El Ghazi are impressive, Tuenzebe is as good as midfielder on the ball. Bolasie is looking fit, McGinn looks more like himself. 

Another half like that please. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Dick said:

He's shit, that's not scapegoating. He's absolutely shit and costs us games.

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I suggest you go and read the definition of scapegoat and try again.

oh....and let me think.....

ffs we are winning 1-0

half time and a clean sheet.....the strikers are good and the keepers shit

if i'm proved wrong at full time so be it,,,,but at the moment....

Thank you Mr DOOM and GLOOM

Edited by imavillan

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

It won't be the same in the second half.

We need to be careful.

The theory is this isn't Bruce, this is Smith, we aren't just going to drop  off.

We will go out and play exactly the same way.
Boro will have to commit and with our new style will be able to move the ball into the spaces and score a few more.

That's the theory.

• Like 1