Are Dreams Significant ?

hippo

I mean I know some are - like if you have been digging a hole or day - then you dream of digging a hole, I can see the link.

But what about when you have a typically ordinary day - but then dream you're a fighter pilot flying over Iraq ? - is there always a link, but you just can't see it ? or are they just wacco jibberish  ? 

Do dreams serve a purpose ? - do we ever not dream ? 

I believe so, yes. I don't tend to have vivd dreams too often, but when I do it's always when I'm not in a "normal" state of mind (ie, worried, anxious or stressed etc). When in this mental state, I tend to have utterly bizarre dreams. Luckily, I have a friend who can analyse dreams and provides me with a meaning, and oddly, they are surprisingly accurate for the situation I am. When having these vivid dream, I always seem to wake up in a better mood like my subconscious has somehow dealt with the situation.

• Like 1

I've wondered about this quite a bit recently for some reason.

Listening to someone analyse a dream sounds similar to someone reading a horoscope or tarot cards, so I think it's easy for me to file it under bullshit. I think there's something to it though, as @PieFacE said, I think it can be your subconscious mulling things over.

Edited by Paddywhack

Have you not learned anything from VT yet? Everything on here is black and white. I’d be surprised if some people on here have dreams ?

Seriousky though, I do believe some dreams definitely have meanings. Moods, what’s going on in your day/life can all impact dreams. Last night I had a Westworld kind of dream. I was able to go into this false reality, and do what the hell I wanted. It was brilliant .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

You live two realities.  Memories of the one sometimes blur into the other one and are what we know as dreams.

*I don't actually believe this

My other reality does loads of cool shit during the day and has dreams about being on VT for hours.

sort of related to the topic

I watched a TV show last night where some American engineer had a dream about shooting down German planes with great success  ... he saw some form of device on the guns in this dream which was a telecoms device he had been working on  ... he followed up on it and it lead to the invention of the M9 Director  , which significantly improved the success rate on artillery guns shooting down planes and V1 rockets

I think there's already a dream thread, but hey ho.

My dreams mostly fall into one of the following categories: 

Being back at school (hardly ever university for some reason)

Being back at work

Playing music (much better than I can in reality)

Running in a race (ditto)

Meeting old friends/girlfriends that I've lost touch with (or are dead)

Driving 

Looking for a toilet with a door on it

They're usually  about 80% realistic, 20% surrealistic. All pretty much what you'd expect from me, really. 

I’m sure dreams mean things. Not in terms of predicting the future or anything like that, obviously. 

But I’m sure certain dreams mean certain things. 

If I’m nervous or anxious about something I always have the same kind of dreams. 

What I find weird is the same places you dream about, and how they are the same in every dream. For instance, I always dream I’m in this shopping centre, and it’s the same everytime I dream about it. Same with my high school, it’s not the same as it is in real life, but in my dream it’s akways the same. I dream about being on a plane all the time. Tbf, I think we all have a certain number of types of dreams we have, and we dream about nothing else. 

I think I’m scarred from School and Uni because I still have nightmares that everyone is handing in an assignment or project and I’ve completely forgotten or have no recollection at of it. 15 years on.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I think I’m scarred from School and Uni because I still have nightmares that everyone is handing in an assignment or project and I’ve completely forgotten or have no recollection at of it. 15 years on.

I get one like that. Specifically, there's an exam coming up (like, today or tomorrow) - usually geography - and I realise I haven't been to ANY of the lessons, opened a single book, or basically done any work at all, for a whole year. And I feel sick. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I get one like that. Specifically, there's an exam coming up (like, today or tomorrow) - usually geography - and I realise I haven't been to ANY of the lessons, opened a single book, or basically done any work at all, for a whole year. And I feel sick. 

Yes, I have exactly the same type of dream quite frequently. 

4 hours ago, Genie said:

Very similar got my degree in 1998 as a mature student. In the dream I have sort of skipped a few lectures - then return just before the exams to realise I have missed loads  and I am totally screwed - Weird as I scarcely missed a lecture or an assignment due date ! in 5 years !

Edited by hippo

6 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

That's interesting, I'm usually much worse at everything in my dreams.

I'd probably feel like I was running in treacle.

Yep. MIne is my feet won't quite touch the ground properly. Like I'm trying to run away from someone or something but my feet won't push on the ground properly. Sometimes I even become aware that I'm dreaming. I'll think things like "if I wasnt' dreaming I'd be able to run properly"

Or playing football and I'll be sort of floating above the ground. So when the ball comes I can't stop it properly because I can't get my foot down quick enough.

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Yep, same. That's a standard anxiety dream I think.

I get a few all of the same theme.

Havent' studied for an exam.
Have to do a piano performance in front of loads of people and realise as I sit down that I've never played the piano in my life.
About to play football but can't find my kit.
About to take a flight but forgot my passport.

Oh I get the looking for the toilet one too. I assume that just means I need a piss. If I ever find a toilet in my dream I'm guessing I'll wet the bed :D 

• Like 1

As an estimate I think I remember less than 5% of my dreams.

I did once dream that I was going out with Jessie J. She wanted to keep it secret and not let the media get hold of the story. It was all very chaste, disappointingly.

In answer to the question, are they significant? I would think it’s fair to say some dreams may have a certain meaning behind them, your brain trying to process thoughts subconsciously. I have had the one where my teeth fall out which is meant to be a classic stress related dream and at the time I was overthinking something. 

I can’t recall particular details of most dreams, but I know I’ve experienced the moment when you realise you are dreaming in the middle of a dream. That’s always a strange sensation.

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep, same. That's a standard anxiety dream I think.

I get a few all of the same theme.

Havent' studied for an exam.
Have to do a piano performance in front of loads of people and realise as I sit down that I've never played the piano in my life.
About to play football but can't find my kit.
About to take a flight but forgot my passport.

Yep. I'm standing on stage in front of the orchestra waering my tux, instrument in hand.

The orchestra begins playing and after a few bars of music I realize I've learnt the wrong concerto.
Panicked terrible improvisation occurs before waking up in a cold sweat :D

Â