Are Dreams Significant ?

hippo

I don't think dreams are telling me anything about my life, I think they're just a garbled mishmash of nothing.

I do, however, think a really good dream can change your outlook on something significantly. I was considering leaving my now ex-wife and I had this wonderful, powerful positive dream about our relationship that meant I genuinely went into the next little while with a much more positive attitude which made a load of difference. It didn't work in the long run but I absolutely think i'd have ended it much sooner if I hadn't had that dream.

21 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

That's interesting, I'm usually much worse at everything in my dreams.

I'd probably feel like I was running in treacle.

Funny, isn't it? Yes, I get the exam anxiety dreams, but the running and music ones are always euphoric - presumably wish fulfillment. I'm always somewhere near the front of a race (although never actually winning), and running fast and effortlessly. Although it then usually goes surreal, and we end up running through a department store or some such. 

I think they have great significance. We spend 33% of our lives asleep, and we dream through much of it. I think when we dream we enter a parallel existence as spirits. When we dream we are closer to what we experience in the afterlife. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Funny, isn't it? Yes, I get the exam anxiety dreams, but the running and music ones are always euphoric - presumably wish fulfillment. I'm always somewhere near the front of a race (although never actually winning), and running fast and effortlessly. Although it then usually goes surreal, and we end up running through a department store or some such. 

I've had some incredible sports dreams, usually futbol. By the time youth soccer came to my town I had already started baseball so I didn't play it for another few years. And when I did, my coaches were terrible, so I never had great success or fulfillment playing competitively. But I obviously developed a huge obsession with the sport and in dreams I've played full stretches of dream games, in front of huge crowds, and I always dazzle! These are the best dreams. These and the very rare flying dreams. 

I would say they are about as significant as your imagination.

Some guy named Einstein said imagination is more important than knowledge, as knowledge is limited, where imagination embraces the entire world.

I dream vividly most nights. I don't pretend to know why but I can tell you they are often a mix of past and present mental states and settings. Represented in some far-fetched way but still familiar to my psyche.

There was a time when there was some heavy stuff and trauma in my life. I will never forget some of the nightmares I was having back then. I would wake up sweating and in shock. I actually feared going to sleep more than I did the reality I was living.

From my own personal experiences, I would say that the dream that re occurred the most was the one about me appearing naked in public - on a bus, in the workplace, at a meeting or even walking down the street. I looked it up and it suggested insecurities of some kind and I'd agree with that in general.

The one thing I do notice though is that I usually dream about something or someone that only had a fleeting moment in my day, whereas if I think a lot about.....say, Nigella Lawson in a jacuzzi of warm, bubbling custard then I know there's zero chance of me dreaming about her when my head hits the pillow. I guess it's a case of you can't control what you dream of - sadly.

On 16/11/2018 at 22:50, Stevo985 said:

Oh I get the looking for the toilet one too. I assume that just means I need a piss. If I ever find a toilet in my dream I'm guessing I'll wet the bed :D

When I was a child, on holiday with my parents, I dreamt I was using a urinal, and woke up to find myself pissing into the wardrobe.  Which was a bit of a surprise.

• Haha 1

It's just the brain going through old files. Sometimes it will open lots of files at once and they bleed into one, creating more surreal dreams.

Significant ? No.

But sometimes very fun.

Edited by Brumerican
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

I guess it's a case of you can't control what you dream of - sadly.

Apparently, you can. Google 'lucid dreaming'. ISTR somebody in the other dreams thread (think it may have been BOF) said they could do it. I've never managed it though. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Apparently, you can. Google 'lucid dreaming'. ISTR somebody in the other dreams thread (think it may have been BOF) said they could do it. I've never managed it though. 

I can't control the theme of a dream, but occasionally I know I'm dreaming and can take the wheel of my character in the dream .

Diphenhydramine found in sleeping tabs and cough medicine is a surefire way of having lucid dreams FYI.

Edited by Brumerican
  • Like 1

On 17/11/2018 at 02:14, sharkyvilla said:

My dreams are magnificent, my brain conjures up all sorts of shit I wish I could come up with in real life and turn into a book.

I am like this too I often say to myself before dozing off where are we off to tonight! 

I love my dreams they are so realistic at times.  The thing that fascinates me most are the places and faces that appear in dreams.  Yes you have family, friends and famous people from time to time and places you have visited.  However a lot of the time it is complete strangers and locations.  Where do they come from is it people you pass in the street and your mind adds them in. Is it places/faces on TV or Movies? 

When I think about these things I then question how people who are blind from birth have dreams too.

The mind is an amazing thing!

Edited by S-Platt

Honest to God's truth, at the bar in Cadogan Hall yesterday before the Jeff Goldblum show and the guy queuing in front of us leans back, nods towards the end of said bar and asks me in a hushed tone "Excuse me, but I need to double-check; is that Brian Cox over there?", and lo and behold it was indeed Brian Cox.

So yes, I'd say D:Reams are significant.

3 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Honest to God's truth, at the bar in Cadogan Hall yesterday before the Jeff Goldblum show and the guy queuing in front of us leans back, nods towards the end of said bar and asks me in a hushed tone "Excuse me, but I need to double-check; is that Brian Cox over there?", and lo and behold it was indeed Brian Cox.

So yes, I'd say D:Reams are significant.

Surely after that post, things can only get better in this thread? 

• Like 1

Â