January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

11 hours ago, av1 said:

So how many (if any) signings do we think we will get this week?

I'm optimistically going with 3. 

LB. CB. CDM. 

I think Smith is smart enough not to sign players for the sake of signing players. He will wait for the right ones. I think we will get 1-2, but we'll see. 

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We have lost 39million?go back andook what wehave spent on transfer fees for the last two year's 

All these other supporters seem to think we are sownding big each year. Only the first season was the year we went. CRazy. 

What have we received though? We haven't let many go either, and the only ones that went were fairly nominal fees. The only time we received "good" money for players was the season after we went down - Gana, Veretout, Amavi, Gestede etc, which was negated by the silly spending and the drop in income. 

Bruce wasted £12m plus wages on Hogan (you don't spend £12m on a player and put him on 10k a week). Terry, Whelan, Samba, Lansbury... all "cheap" Bruce signings on big money we have lost...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KMitch said:

Daily mail is saying Sheffield United and Bristol City are showing interest in Scott Hogan...  Unfortunately, they're both interested in loan deals...

Were not going to get anything more than loan deals.  No one will even give a free transfer plus his wages. 

It'll be a loan and 50% of his wages or something because like all the other players we have offered utterly ludicrous contracts to no one else would pay those kind of wages. 

People saying we should sell him are not living in the real world.  No chance of a transfer fee whatsoever. 

Only possibility is next summer if a relegated club want to do what we did and piss away their parachute payments,  but why would they do that on someone whose hardly had a game for an also ran team in 2 years. 

Actually a loan deal might be a way out if he can score a few elsewhere maybe someone would take a punt. 

Edited by sidcow

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Dem... we are losing a vast sum of money every week, probably in the region of £500k. Why do you think the owners keep pumping money into the club in return for shares.

We’ve spent a fortune since relegation, an absolute fortune but a lot of it has been in wages rather than fees. This is why I used to get so angry with Bruce and his poverty routine.

What we have been doing and to an extent we are still doing just isn’t sustainable. Thankfully Smith and the owners appear to recognise the issue and appear to be trying to do  something about it.

I just hope our supporters recognise the issues and understand what needs to be done now, in the summer and over the next couple of years. It’s why we needed a manager like Smith but I’m not sure a lot of our fans get that yet.

Agreed. The way we have been run and the reported wages we have given out over the last (10-12?!) years has been ridiculous. Didn’t want to believe we were paying 70k for Bolasie but it appears that was the case. We need to give this time as we need a major overhaul in terms of players (quality and wages). 

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Dem... we are losing a vast sum of money every week, probably in the region of £500k. Why do you think the owners keep pumping money into the club in return for shares.

We’ve spent a fortune since relegation, an absolute fortune but a lot of it has been in wages rather than fees. This is why I used to get so angry with Bruce and his poverty routine.

What we have been doing and to an extent we are still doing just isn’t sustainable. Thankfully Smith and the owners appear to recognise the issue and appear to be trying to do  something about it.

I just hope our supporters recognise the issues and understand what needs to be done now, in the summer and over the next couple of years. It’s why we needed a manager like Smith but I’m not sure a lot of our fans get that yet.

Its quite an interesting point tbh.

Even with a lot of the players whose contract expires this year, that is saving us somewhere in the region of 300k a week?, assuming they all leave (The 25k+ a week earners).

But really we will also be buying players, so as a minimum that's going to be 100k a week spent even if we sign 5 players on 20k a week between now and the start of next season.

So that's still 300k a week we are losing (working with those probably wrong and very rough figures).

It really makes me wonder how we will balance the books, the only two options I can imagine is develop and sell major assets (players), or actually get promoted at some point in the next 2-3 years or go bankrupt when the money runs out.

I would imagine there is only so much the new owners can pump in before it dries up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hanky said:

Agreed. The way we have been run and the reported wages we have given out over the last (10-12?!) years has been ridiculous. Didn’t want to believe we were paying 70k for Bolasie but it appears that was the case. We need to give this time as we need a major overhaul in terms of players (quality and wages). 

I know for a fact we were paying the lot and it was closer to £80k. I agree with you entirely and it’s why I was so out spoken about the way Bruce managed the club.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Its quite an interesting point tbh.

Even with a lot of the players whose contract expires this year, that is saving us somewhere in the region of 300k a week?, assuming they all leave (The 25k+ a week earners).

But really we will also be buying players, so as a minimum that's going to be 100k a week spent even if we sign 5 players on 20k a week between now and the start of next season.

So that's still 300k a week we are losing (working with those probably wrong and very rough figures).

It really makes me wonder how we will balance the books, the only two options I can imagine is develop and sell major assets (players), or actually get promoted at some point in the next 2-3 years or go bankrupt when the money runs out.

I would imagine there is only so much the new owners can pump in before it dries up.

I think we will see some much bigger sponsorship deals than we had last year. 

I know they have to meet rules but they will still be bigger than we had last year. 

10 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I know for a fact we were paying the lot and it was closer to £80k. I agree with you entirely and it’s why I was so out spoken about the way Bruce managed the club.

What an absolute waste of salary and loan fee Bolasie was.

Granted he had one or two decent games for us, but he spent most of this season so far with us paying 70-80k wages, and all we did was spend 80% of the time getting him fit.

We literally paid Everton & Bolasie all that money to get one of their players fit.........lets all think about that for a minute, we were so badly run we PAID people 70-80k a week to get a player FIT, and when he was fit, he left at the first opportunity......

Terrible, terrible piece of business, like......TERRIBLE.

The more i think about it the more mind bogglingly unbelievable it is.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Interesting. So Bruce like rdm wasted a lot of money. Terry was probably the only one who justified the high wages.

adomah whelan Richards jedinak all being out of contract will. Stainless help. Only stupid things were offering hogan and Lansbury long contracts on those wages. 

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

What an absolute waste of salary and loan fee Bolasie was.

Granted he had one or two decent games for us, but he spent most of this season so far with us paying 70-80k wages, and all we did was spend 80% of the time getting him fit.

We literally paid Everton & Bolasie all that money to get one of their players fit.........lets all think about that for a minute, we were so badly run we PAID people 70-80k a week to get a player FIT, and when he was fit, he left at the first opportunity......

Terrible, terrible piece of business, like......TERRIBLE.

The more i think about it the more mind bogglingly unbelievable it is.

Ridiculous to even insert a clause that the player can terminate the loan. It should be thecluba choice only. That’s why I call him a wasteman. A user who used us for hai own selfish reasons. I hope that clown Rots in the Everton reserves. 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Ridiculous to even insert a clause that the player can terminate the loan. It should be thecluba choice only. That’s why I call him a wasteman. A user who used us for hai own selfish reasons. I hope that clown Rots in the Everton reserves. 

You can't have a contract that prevents an employee from terminating his employment at an organisation. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

You can't have a contract that prevents an employee from terminating his employment at an organisation. 

Well you can, as there are such things as loans that cant be terminated until the expiry date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

Correct. So we sell Hogan to them then.

Yes, 8-10 mill then we get someone in who will strengthen us more. Strengthen two promotional rivals when we get virtually nothing in return is ridiculous.

43 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think we will see some much bigger sponsorship deals than we had last year. 

I know they have to meet rules but they will still be bigger than we had last year. 

There are no guarantees but they are making a lot of changes on that side of the club and have made some good appointments.

45 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Yes, 8-10 mill then we get someone in who will strengthen us more. Strengthen two promotional rivals when we get virtually nothing in return is ridiculous.

How can that be. Most think he is useless - a`waste of space' is the most recent opinion.

We're coming to a crossroads at the end of this season. A lot of contracts are up. Both commercially and on the playing side. I'm sure most of the new commercial deals are well advanced and we know what we'll be getting. The only variable is what division we'll be in, but we'll plan for both possibilities.

We have expertise in securing big corporate deals. We have people in charge who sit on the board of massive sporting interests. We have financial experts and people who created the FFP rules. 

Therefore, I don't worry about that side of things. If they say there is money to spend and the manager will be supported, great. I don't think they're gambling or speculating beyond our means. They know the forecasts, upcoming deals, contracts expiring that won't be renewed or will and the impact this all has on finances and regulations. Nobody else does.

• Like 1

I'd like to get a right or left midfielder who can play a bit deeper in the midfield than a classical winger, and ideally have a good pass on him. I'd also love it if we could combine that with a winger on the opposite side with a bit of graft. Albrighton'esque if you will. 

I know it was always unlikely, but I would have really liked to see some of the wastemen™ out the door this January.

still time for some poor club to get desperate I guess. Fingers crossed.

• Haha 1