Dean Smith

Demitri_C

41 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Going backwards, which is down to Smith. Grealish missing is not a good enough excuse.

Losing Tuanzebe hasn’t helped either. Today minus Abraham and that’s a spine of a team. Not making any excuses for him though today, QPR and Preston were poor/dreadful. We need to do some serious business. 

9 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think there is a lack of a Plan B at the moment, which to be fair is difficult to have when your squad options are the likes of Hutton at centre half and Whelan in midfield.  The problem is after a while the negativity starts building a momentum, I've seen it so often over the last decade and it's really hard to get going the other way again.  We need more signings again, I'm sick of saying that.  How we have no squad depth considering the money we've spent is infuriating.

Yeah I’d agree. To me it feels like the double hit of the Baggies and Leeds games in relatively quick succession seems to have drained the confidence of everyone. I didn’t think it was there at the time, certainly not after the Baggies game but it’s not been the same since. I know the absence of Jack & Axel also play a part.

It’s something we’ve seen time and time again, under various managers with various squads, get stuck in a rut and take ages to get properly going again.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

To be fair the players in defence must be shite, Terry coaches the defence and they have learnt nothing from him.

I dont think Terry does coach the defence. 

They always say a sign of a good manager is how they bounce back from defeat, well Mr Smith now is the time to earn your corn.

Yes we all know the squad is unbalanced, and yes it was a second team but that was a poor performance.

Why not rest McGinn who needs it the most?

Why play Hutton at CB when Revan has been on the bench the last few week? Surely he should’ve been given a chance to see if ready for first team?

Hogan was clearly not working, why leave him on? 

Where has the pressing gone? Where’s the intensity? Where’s the movement? 

We need to start winning and soon.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What did O'hare do? Also we were losing to it meant we could play two forwards. 

Thought O Hare was average. by no means the worst player on the pitch.

Hogan or one of the wide players should have come off. 

4 minutes ago, Hanky said:

Losing Tuanzebe hasn’t helped either. Today minus Abraham and that’s a spine of a team. Not making any excuses for him though today, QPR and Preston were poor/dreadful. We need to do some serious business.

Even with them out we still have one of the highest payed squads in the league. The players aren't playing anywhere near the level of their price tags

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Said it before....say it again....loyalty to these old useless stagers will end him before he gets started. Get them out; force them out.

Yep, too many of the usual suspects again half arsing it. Adomah, Taylor, Elphick, Kodjia when he came on.

It took until the 87th minute for Taylor to take the initiative and actually step infront of his man to win the ball. At one point Elphick allowed all 5ft 5 of Nathan Dyer to get infront of him and bring down a long ball and hold it up. 

In contrast Swansea were fast and aggressive in getting the ball back, physical in defending their own box. 

We have too many who no longer have that desire, and after the initial bounce under Smith are back to just going through the motions. We need an injection of pace and energy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

Going backwards, which is down to Smith. Grealish missing is not a good enough excuse.

Going backwards from where? The immediate amazing improvement made by Smith in the first place? 

Must be ay, because you cannot be seriously saying that what Bruce offered without the injuries to the very same squad was better can you?

• Like 1

Need to get rid off the deadwood in the summer hopefully Bruce will help us with that.

Sell:

-Whelan

- Hutton

- Elmo

- Hogan

- Bjarnason

- Jedinak

- Adomah

Keep the rest and build the team around McGinn, take it from there.

• Like 3

When he took over I thought he would struggle because our players aren’t good enough and it’s looking more and more like his initial success was more a new manager bounce. 

Its amazing how much difference a couple of top players can make.

To be fair it happens at every level. Man City the most expensive team in the world lost 3 in a row without Fernandino. 

Dont underestimate the power of one top player. 

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Spot on, says it's the first time they've felt they needed to "have words" about the levels of effort, that it shouldn't be necessary to ask for more from players etc. Can't say fairer than that, Monday sounds like they are going to get a prolonged bollocking looking over the game too. Which based on what we saw today is the minimum. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KHV said:

People often say Jedinak isn't a Dean Smith type player and wouldn't fit in. Dean Smith teams concede 60+ goals a season. 

Maybe Smith needs to think about a Jedinak type player. 

I think he is exactly what we need in front of the back 4.

Just saying......

Particularly now teams have worked out they can just knock it over the top. 

14 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

A good player doesn't necessarily make a good coach. 

Think you may have misunderstood what I meant. I just don't believe the defensive coaching of the team falls under JT'S remit. 

6 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Spot on, says it's the first time they've felt they needed to "have words" about the levels of effort, that it shouldn't be necessary to ask for more from players etc. Can't say fairer than that, Monday sounds like they are going to get a prolonged bollocking looking over the game too. Which based on what we saw today is the minimum. 

Summed it up quite well. No excuses. 

He is going to start feeling pressure his never experienced before.

Smith talking about effort levels and saying he wants answer why. Damn straight. Adomah did not interested, he already thinking about his exit in the summer so if just drop him or sell him if a offer comes in. He has been hopeless for a year.

Another is Hogan. Just utter garbage. 

Taylor was rubbish

Whelan OMG just **** get rid of him please 

34 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

They always say a sign of a good manager is how they bounce back from defeat, well Mr Smith now is the time to earn your corn.

Yes we all know the squad is unbalanced, and yes it was a second team but that was a poor performance.

Why not rest McGinn who needs it the most?

Why play Hutton at CB when Revan has been on the bench the last few week? Surely he should’ve been given a chance to see if ready for first team?

Hogan was clearly not working, why leave him on? 

Where has the pressing gone? Where’s the intensity? Where’s the movement? 

We need to start winning and soon.

He said afterwards that Mcginn is close to a ban - so will likely get a rest shortly in any case.

Â