Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm baffled as to why you'd bring this up again. So there's an acknowledged world class football manager in the first picture attempting to get some sort of message over to his team and an acknowledged clown at the bottom waving his arms around in a gesture he loses faith in half way through - what does any of it have to do with Dean Smith?

sorry, off topic....but the principle still applies.The stature of the manager is irrelevant..the stick used to beat Sherwood with was wrong, that was the point.

but apologies for it being in the dean smith thread..It doesn't apply to him.

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Going backwards from where? The immediate amazing improvement made by Smith in the first place? 

Must be ay, because you cannot be seriously saying that what Bruce offered without the injuries to the very same squad was better can you?

Yes, the new manager bounce, which I didn't think was a new manager bounce, but seems to actually have been a new manager bounce.

Very worrying trend. All I'm saying.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You drunk? We finished this conversation yesterday. 

Sherwoods a shit manager so looks an idiot when waves his arms around like he knows what he is doing.

Klopp and Pep are 2 of the best managers in the world so can wave their arms around how they like. 

Get over it. 

I disagree, do you have to be drunk to disagree....you posted it, i just commented.

whats good for the goose.....

36 minutes ago, av1 said:

I'm a big fan of Smith but today he made a number of mistakes imo.

Hutton at CB. Alan almost has to many flaws to list, but his biggest flaw is that he has absolutely no positional awareness, not ideal in a CB. The fact that Bree has done ok at CB in previous games makes the selection all the more difficult to understand. 

Callum O'hare. If you are going to start the kid give him a chance by playing him behind a striker that can actually hold up the ball. He didn't look great today but I think the system and personnel did him no favours at all. 

2 up top. I think the decision to go with 2 strikers in the second half was probably the correct one, but not to sure about he got there. Hogan was atrocious, the first change I would have liked to have seen is Davis on for Hogan who imo would have suited the system better with O'hare behind. 

Once the decision was made to go with a 2 which includes Hogan, again it should have been Davis who can hold up the ball and would potentially be a good foil for Hogan. The decision to instead go with Hogan and Kodjia was daft. 2 brain dead selfish players that will never work in a 2. 

Midfield. No energy at all. Whelan is shot to peices and I'm still confused as to why McGinn wasn't instructed to pick up a booking against QPR. The poor sod looks knackered, he can't continue to be sole pair of bollocks in the middle of the park. He shouldn't have played today, Lansbury or JDH should have been in from the start. 

Smith said on the Radio that bookings etc picked up in the cup - only apply to future FA Cup matches. (I didn't know than)  

But had Mcginn got a two game ban by getting a booking at QPR - not sure if todays match would have counted as 1 match of the 2 match ban.

11 minutes ago, hippo said:

Smith said on the Radio that bookings etc picked up in the cup - only apply to future FA Cup matches. (I didn't know than)  

But had Mcginn got a two game ban by getting a booking at QPR - not sure if todays match would have counted as 1 match of the 2 match ban.

I did catch that interview so maybe you are correct about the QPR booking (or lack of it). 

Either way I would have liked to have seen McGinn rested today. He is having to do the work of 2 men in midfield and its starting to show. 

Just now, av1 said:

I did catch that interview so maybe you are correct about the QPR booking (or lack of it). 

Either way I would have liked to have seen McGinn rested today. He is having to do the work of 2 men in midfield and its starting to show. 

Smith also said that Mcginn would get his rest soon as he is pretty close to a ban - hence the decision to play him today. I don't entirely agree - but who knows what the score would have been without JM today ? 

59 minutes ago, av1 said:

Hutton at CB. Alan almost has to many flaws to list, but his biggest flaw is that he has absolutely no positional awareness, not ideal in a CB. The fact that Bree has done ok at CB in previous games makes the selection all the more difficult to understand. 

Callum O'hare. If you are going to start the kid give him a chance by playing him behind a striker that can actually hold up the ball. He didn't look great today but I think the system and personnel did him no favours at all. 

2 up top. I think the decision to go with 2 strikers in the second half was probably the correct one, but not to sure about he got there. Hogan was atrocious, the first change I would have liked to have seen is Davis on for Hogan who imo would have suited the system better with O'hare behind. 

Once the decision was made to go with a 2 which includes Hogan, again it should have been Davis who can hold up the ball and would potentially be a good foil for Hogan. The decision to instead go with Hogan and Kodjia was daft. 2 brain dead selfish players that will never work in a 2. 

Midfield. No energy at all. Whelan is shot to peices and I'm still confused as to why McGinn wasn't instructed to pick up a booking against QPR. The poor sod looks knackered, he can't continue to be sole pair of bollocks in the middle of the park. He shouldn't have played today, Lansbury or JDH should have been in from the start. 

I don’t disagree with any of that and the way you’ve broken it down. However the problem with these sort of games, when the team has lots of experimentation, is it’s hard to actually assess the players coming in, particularly the young players. You can’t really tell how good they are as the team around them isn’t a settled team and can’t give them the help they need. I’m not knocking Smith for doing it as it’s sort of par for the course at this stage of the season and as someone said earlier, you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. I know it’s done for all sorts of reasons, however as a way of looking at players I don’t think it’s particularly helpful. 

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don’t disagree with any of that and the way you’ve broken it down. However the problem with these sort of games, when the team has lots of experimentation, is it’s hard to actually assess the players coming in, particularly the young players. You can’t really tell how good they are as the team around them isn’t a settled team and can’t give them the help they need. I’m not knocking Smith for doing it as it’s sort of par for the course at this stage of the season and as someone said earlier, you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. I know it’s done for all sorts of reasons, however as a way of looking at players I don’t think it’s particularly helpful. 

It was only Chester and Abraham away from a feasible championship starting 11.

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

Fair point mate. All I would say though is actually there wasn't a great deal of experimentation when you break it down. 

Hutton at CB was a strange choice, young Callum O'hare got a start and Chester was rested. That aside it wasn't to far away from the best side we could have put out. It's not like we made 10 changes and put a load of kids in. 

Fact of the matter is we are conceding goals regularly at an alarming rate. We have Elphick back now and he has January to sign some reinforcements as well. 

The old "Bruce left him with a shite defence" won't hold water much longer . We have the same defence as last year now less Terry more or less, which was a reasonably solid defence. 

Even Jokanovic who basically blew the championship away from November last year got sacked after 2 or 3 months in the prem as he couldn't organise his defence. Its obviously way too early too early to call for change. 

I like Smith, if he doesn't disgrace himself this season he 100% deserves a fair crack at the whip next season with a few of his own signings

Its an old clichê but it's true, good teams start from the back. 

20 minutes ago, hippo said:

It was only Chester and Abraham away from a feasible championship starting 11.

10 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Yep, almost our best XI.

And yet we’ve taken six points off the same opposition.

I wonder whether Swansea would prefer the six points or a place in the next round.

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I wonder whether Swansea would prefer the six points or a place in the next round.

Quite obviously they would prefer the six points. Not really sure what your point is ?

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

Yes, the new manager bounce, which I didn't think was a new manager bounce, but seems to actually have been a new manager bounce.

Very worrying trend. All I'm saying.

Right, new manager bounce that lasts for a run of massively tough fixtures, completely changing how we play? New manager bounce for 10+ games and ends when our best player, and the only fit central defenders we have get injured?

Just now, hippo said:

Quite obviously they would prefer the six points. Not really sure what your point is ?

Well there seems to be a suggestion that we were close to a full strength side and we got hammered. 

I’m just saying that we’ve proven that this full strength side can beat the likes of Swansea, twice. When it actually matters.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Agreed , I’d rather rivan had a chance in defence than Hutton at centre half - Hutton and Taylor are both liabilities in defence and both need replacing this month - pointless playing whelan today too 

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Mate I couldn't give a toss about the FA cup either, I think the worrying thing for many is not the defeat, rather the manner of it and what it means for the rest of the league campaign. 

Chester aside that is our best back 4 and it's horrific. McGinn is on his last legs because he is the only bloke in midfield with any legs and without Tammy we don't look like scoring. 

Personally I would have sacrificed today's game and used it simply to have a look at 4/5 kids. Now people will say he gave O'hare a chance but I would have started Revan, O'hare, Davis and JDH. 

I've never saw the young CB play but when the other option is Hutton its worth a go. 

32 minutes ago, av1 said:

Fair point mate. All I would say though is actually there wasn't a great deal of experimentation when you break it down. 

Hutton at CB was a strange choice, young Callum O'hare got a start and Chester was rested. That aside it wasn't to far away from the best side we could have put out. It's not like we made 10 changes and put a load of kids in. 

I thought we’d made 7 changes from the last game. Only something I read on here, but hey if it’s on VT it must be right! 

Â