Dean Smith

Demitri_C

You can read we got 55 points because of Smith - praise be and valid. You can also say with validity that we should’ve conceivably finished with more, and it’s due to Smith’s shortcomings as a top manager meant we squandered an opportunity to finish higher and maybe have contested Spurs for that weird europa conference league. 

Then you can argue does last season, and to be fair then you must take in the season before, where we have some shown periods of fantastic/great/good/mediocre/bad/rank performances as you’d expect. Do you then now, in year 3 with Smith, judge now on just the present as well as plan for the future, therefore, disregard the past somewhat and assess Smith on just on that moving forwards? You are only really as good as your last results and NSWE & Co will be ready to axe Smith when they see fit and which is something I cannot see happening this season unless things deteriorate rather than click. 

10 minutes ago, thabucks said:

You can read we got 55 points because of Smith - praise be and valid. You can also say with validity that we should’ve conceivably finished with more, and it’s due to Smith’s shortcomings as a top manager meant we squandered an opportunity to finish higher and maybe have contested Spurs for that weird europa conference league. 

Then you can argue does last season, and to be fair then you must take in the season before, where we have some shown periods of fantastic/great/good/mediocre/bad/rank performances as you’d expect. Do you then now, in year 3 with Smith, judge now on just the present as well as plan for the future, therefore, disregard the past somewhat and assess Smith on just on that moving forwards? You are only really as good as your last results and NSWE & Co will be ready to axe Smith when they see fit and which is something I cannot see happening this season unless things deteriorate rather than click. 

I mean you could say that. It would ignore a lot of other factors to say it's all Smith's fault. There were key injuries, oh and possibly the worst covid outbreak in the league. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

It's 3 games without a win.  

That happened to Everton twice last season. It happened to West Ham twice last season. It happened 3 times for Leeds. It happened twice to Arsenal. It happened 3 times to wolves last season. It happened 3 times to spurs last season. It happened twice to Leicester.

Why do those most critical continue to pretend like Dean Smith is so different to others? That our negative issues are so unique? 

I've lost track of the amount of times I've said it, but people seem to ignore decades of premier league history to convince themselves they're right to moan. 

It’s 3 losses on the spin, 8 goals conceded and we have looked worse in every game, not better. 

I couldn’t give a toss about other teams it’s Aston Villa’s performances I’m interested in. 

Edited by jim
  • Like 2

No one taking into account last season was a very weak League due to the outbreak and no fans. Man City walked it towards the end. This may be a good excuse for a few if we finish midtable this season. It does seem a little more competitive this season, leaving a few behind already, including us maybe?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

No one taking into account last season was a very weak League due to the outbreak and no fans. Man City walked it towards the end. This may be a good excuse for a few if we finish midtable this season. It does seem a little more competitive this season, leaving a few behind already, including us maybe?

being balanced, I think we will have to do with a midtable finish again

Its very confusing. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Our players seem to do much better in a less pressured environment.

Don't think it's a good look on them. Shows a frail mentality.

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he meant no crowds. May be wrong though. 

I assume he did. Just another way to diminish what we did last year. Complete nonsense though. The most pressure we've been under as a club with Dean Smith as manager, saw us accomplish the two main targets we had. 

14 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Do you seriously believe no manager likes having players who will hold others to account this way? 

Ferguson might have got rid of Keane for multiple reasons, but the likes of Neville, Scholes, Ferdinand etc.. would have made sure players knew the standards that were required. 

I seriously hope, after that collapse against wolves and that shit show against arsenal, that we've got players in that changing room who will tell others that it wasn't good enough. 

and like me an you, will have differing opinions on who's fault it is, so it just becomes finger pointing and no end product.....It has to come from the Boss. He drives the direction of the football and that includes discipline.

That does not mean, that the odd disagreement won't happen.....but if it happens too much, it has to be stamped out, that was the point I was making.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

That's why it's so funny and cheers me up. Illogical hilarity.

I'm very concerned about some of our performances this season but the pitchforks are out all year round anyway. Makes me feel like I'm on the more positive side.

Just so you know... whenever Smith does go. Be it in three games or five years time. These same people will claim they were right all along. Can't wait.

Smith will be fine, he's made of the finest timber, trust me.

20 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

My biggest issue with Dean right now is how many more 30 million pound players does he need to kick on from where we are now.

There's no doubt in my mind we're worse than last year and that we will finish lower than last years league position as well.

Also how many more big money signings is he allowed before we can say he's underachieving. With this squad and money spent we HAVE to be top half of the table or he's underachieving in my eyes.

I think we are underachieving if we don't finish top 10 this season. If we look at it on the 9 games so far I would also say we are underachieving as 1.1 points per game is not good enough. So to get back on track we need to do some overachieving imo

9 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think we are underachieving if we don't finish top 10 this season. If we look at it on the 9 games so far I would also say we are underachieving as 1.1 points per game is not good enough. So to get back on track we need to do some overachieving imo

Win the next 4 and back on track ;)

14 hours ago, Made In Aston said:
18 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I don't think so (unless there is a big, sustained downturn in form)

We don't need a downturn in form for Smith to get himself onto thin ice, we would need a continuation of current form for that. Dean needs a upturn in form to avoid the thin ice

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DCJonah said:

It's 3 games without a win.  

That happened to Everton twice last season. It happened to West Ham twice last season. It happened 3 times for Leeds. It happened twice to Arsenal. It happened 3 times to wolves last season. It happened 3 times to spurs last season. It happened twice to Leicester.

It is also 3 games without a point i.e. 3 losses. Are you saying that happened to the clubs you mentioned or might they have picked up some draws in the little runs you are comparing ours to?

• Like 1

Â