Dean Smith

Demitri_C

The debate on midtable is quite funny as the justification is along the lines of we are where we should be and look at the money spent and wages and that says we are a midtable team (and ignoring the definition of midtable) that is where we should be. This is used as data to justify Smith is doing a good job. But surely if he was doing a good job we would be overachieving and ahead of where we 'should' be. If we are where we 'should' be then what value is Dean adding for his 1.5m a year. Should we not have a manager that gets a team to punch above their weight?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

It is also 3 games without a point i.e. 3 losses. Are you saying that happened to the clubs you mentioned or might they have picked up some draws in the little runs you are comparing ours to?

Not sure about the teams mentioned but it happened to Liverpool. They lost 3 in a row around February time. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The debate on midtable is quite funny as the justification is along the lines of we are where we should be and look at the money spent and wages and that says we are a midtable team (and ignoring the definition of midtable) that is where we should be. This is used as data to justify Smith is doing a good job. But surely if he was doing a good job we would be overachieving and ahead of where we 'should' be. If we are where we 'should' be then what value is Dean adding for his 1.5m a year. Should we not have a manager that gets a team to punch above their weight?

Who’s using it to justify Smith doing a good job? Just calming down the hysteria when we’re barely a quarter of the way into a season and people are hitting the panic button

• Like 1

Southampton, Palace, Burnley is another group of 3 games where we would be expected to fight for the maximum 9 points.

Considering at the start of the season we had a similar group of 3 and got 4 points, I think after West Ham it's important for Smith to show that he's learned about his team and new recruits in the last couple months and we can progress this season 

16 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

True. As a club we haven't really moved much from when he first took over the job. He's added no value to us as a club.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Agreed. Winning 10 games in a row. A playoff final. 

Staying up in the final few games when it looked like we were down. 

We always buckle when under pressure. 

Winning 10 in a row 3 seasons ago in the Championship and winning the play offs with a superior team.  And we only stayed up due to a gross error with VAR let’s not kid ourselves. Yes we looked dead and buried and he deserves credit but you cannot ignore the fact that sheff utd were robbed. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

True. As a club we haven't really moved much from when he first took over the job. He's added no value to us as a club.

If anything retrospectively we’ve gone backwards

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Winning 10 in a row 3 seasons ago in the Championship and winning the play offs with a superior team.  And we only stayed up due to a gross error with VAR let’s not kid ourselves. Yes we looked dead and buried and he deserves credit but you cannot ignore the fact that sheff utd were robbed. 

I agree the Ghost goal was potentially a significant event in our season but I will also understand that we do not know how significant as we don't know how game would have panned out. However, that ghost goal is like a taboo subject on here and people don't like to discuss it and prefer to pretend it didn't happen. Some people even express confusion when it is mentioned. If we look at how Dean performed each season it can be seen that we have cut it quite close in both getting promotion and retaining PL status. Yes, the important thing is we managed to get up and stay up but they weren't convincing seasons.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, zenda said:

Ugh...don't fall into using that old trope that rival fans on social media bleat about....There was over half a game left when the "ghost goal" was scored. There's no way of knowing how that game would have ended-up.

There were also 8/9 matches left to play after that one, ample time for us to get out of trouble. The argument that if one specific thing changed, but everything else subsequently stayed the same, is a spurious one.  

You are right and my response to DC’s offering a alt rhetoric 

37 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree the Ghost goal was potentially a significant event in our season but I will also understand that we do not know how significant as we don't know how game would have panned out. However, that ghost goal is like a taboo subject on here and people don't like to discuss it and prefer to pretend it didn't happen. Some people even express confusion when it is mentioned. If we look at how Dean performed each season it can be seen that we have cut it quite close in both getting promotion and retaining PL status. Yes, the important thing is we managed to get up and stay up but they weren't convincing seasons.

Just like the ghost Lansbury goal? 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I get some of the concerns for the future. I get the ambition for wanting to get into Europe. 

What I can't get my head around, is why do you and a few others have to go out of your way to knock what he's achieved previously?

Yeah no shit we cut it close. He inherited a mess and went up a season earlier than the club realistically thought we would. And then because of that we had a summer to rebuild a team ready for the prem. Big surprise we cut it close finishing 17th. 

Most fans relish those achievements. But not you. For you, those are not convincing seasons. 

Â