Dean Smith

Demitri_C

28 minutes ago, TRO said:

Ashley Preece reporting that 6 villa players all dishing out rollickings to each other, during the Arsenal defeat.....Dean needs to get on top of that.

I have no issue with that. Players should be holding each other accountable. Shouldn't just come from the manager. 

Anyone who watched all or nothing city and spurs will have seen players arguing and doing the same in the dressing room. I'm glad we have players like that in there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

but right now, we are 4 points short of midtable?...maybe when we get back to midtable a few jets will be calmed..

We're four points short of 7th - that's European qualification.

Personally, I'd have 13th down as mid-table - where we are now - 12th for sure, so at worst I think we're two points short of mid-table.

If we'd held on for a draw against Wolves - we'd be there - so depending on how you look at it, I'd say we're either mid-table now or we're one unlucky deflection away from being there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Ashley Preece reporting that 6 villa players all dishing out rollickings to each other, during the Arsenal defeat.....Dean needs to get on top of that.

players calling each other out for their **** ups...what a shocker...what's to get on top of exactly? happens at every single level of the football pyramid. i'd be annoyed if they weren't

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

Where is that Tro? I had a look on his Twitter feed but couldn’t see anything. I’ve probably scrolled past it! 🤦🏻‍♂️

As far as Dean getting on top of it, it’s a difficult subject and depends on the context as well as the dynamic of the group I think. Some managers/coaches like players to do this, some don’t. If this is not the sort of thing Dean encourages then I agree it needs to be quashed, but I know he has said in interviews before that he likes his coaching staff and his players to challenge him, so he seems all about empowering people. It’s always difficult to properly assess when we only know snippets of information . I will wait to read before I give my opinion properly on it…..

https://www.footballfancast.com/aston-villa-news/aston-villa-dean-smith-ashley-preece-arsenal-west-ham-premier-league-team-news-analysis-villa-park

Yes, its good to be challenged constructively and behind closed doors.....doing that during a game, I'm not so sure....advice, fine....not inquests or finger pointing.

albeit, I didn't see it, so I reserve my judgment, but it does'nt sound good to me....I'm just reporting , what Ashley Preece saw.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

players calling each other out for their **** ups...what a shocker...what's to get on top of exactly? happens at every single level of the football pyramid. i'd be annoyed if they weren't

That's the managers job, not theirs.....sure the captain can make a point, thats part of his job too.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying he needs to let them know, he gives out the rollickings.

if you remember, Reo Coker did it in training to Delfouneso.....and got a broadside from MON..which led to the contretemps....its just not a good sign, is all.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I have no issue with that. Players should be holding each other accountable. Shouldn't just come from the manager. 

Anyone who watched all or nothing city and spurs will have seen players arguing and doing the same in the dressing room. I'm glad we have players like that in there.

Demands a Roy Keane style enforcer, then complains about the manager when players call each other as this enforcer would actually do 😂

• Like 3

23 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

We're four points short of 7th - that's European qualification.

Personally, I'd have 13th down as mid-table - where we are now - 12th for sure, so at worst I think we're two points short of mid-table.

If we'd held on for a draw against Wolves - we'd be there - so depending on how you look at it, I'd say we're either mid-table now or we're one unlucky deflection away from being there.

Like you say depends how you look at it....its still 6 places to negotiate to get 7th....allied to our recent displays, because thats all I have to go on factually, I would say thats ambitious, to be looking at 7th.

I will stick to midtable 10/11th....anything else is upper or lower table, in my eyes.

Edited by TRO

23 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I wouldn't have thought you would.

yes it should come from the manager, thats exactly who it should come from.

I am not saying it doesn't happen....I don't think its ideal....and I disagree,with your view its ok...... it should come from the manager, he is the boss, not them....He gives the instructions and they abide by them or don't, in such a case its him to tell  them , not another player, not in that context anyway...... a bit of advice, yes, thats fine.....but it wasn't reported like that.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I will stick to midtable 10/11th.

So you'll accept and change from us being 4 points away form mid-table to us being 3 points away from mid-table - even using this, the narrowest definition of mid-table possible?

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

allied to our recent displays, because thats all I have to go on factually

I'd suggest that emotionally rather than factually is the bigger factor here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So you'll accept and change from us being 4 points away form mid-table to us being 3 points away from mid-table - even using this, the narrowest definition of mid-table possible?

I'd suggest that emotionally rather than factually is the bigger factor here.

• Arsenal are on 14 points, in 10th place, we are on 10 points in 13th place, in order to shift them we need 4 points and a 2 goal better GD.....when I went to school, 14 minus 10 is 4?
  • 3 defeats could be deemed as emotional, allied to questionable performances....but ,I would say the 3 defeats are factual, no opinions there.....I would say, your suggestion is amiss.
Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Woody1000 said:

Are you questioning Ashley’s integrity as a journalist?……

Ashley Preece is so Pro Dean Smith, so I would be surprised if he had any agenda....just reporting what he saw, is my take on it.....folk will make of it what they will.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He's always been big on " Emotional control " and being measured, ever since he came in, he stressed as much in interviews.

Emotional control isn't the same as feeling pressure though.. It's just how you deal with that pressure.

Nobody other than those close to Smith will know how much pressure he is feeling or how it affects him in truth unless he decides to reveal all. I think it's obvious he will feel pressure but as yet is doing well to keep a lid on it. No doubt he's been through worse spells than he is currently so he should have no problem dealing with the current situation. It's not like the first season back.....yet, lol!

I think the one thing that has always struck me about Smith even if I don't always agree is that he does come across very measured. It's something I think has endeared himself to the supporters over the last 3 years. 

22 hours ago, tomav84 said:

Discipline....Its not their place to call them out.

We need team spirit to get out of this dip, not animosity.

We are led to believe, its a happy camp, Ashley is merely asking questions.

Edited by TRO

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Discipline....Its not there place to call them out.

We need team spirit to get out of this dip, not animosity.

We are led to believe, its a happy camp, Ashley is merely asking questions.

I think any manager worth their salt will let players blow off steam at each other when needed. You could have the opposite with a Remi Garde whereby he is overly disciplined to the point players don't actually give a shit.

14 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Emotional control isn't the same as feeling pressure though.. It's just how you deal with that pressure.

Nobody other than those close to Smith will know how much pressure he is feeling or how it affects him in truth unless he decides to reveal all. I think it's obvious he will feel pressure but as yet is doing well to keep a lid on it. No doubt he's been through worse spells than he is currently so he should have no problem dealing with the current situation. It's not like the first season back.....yet, lol!

I think the one thing that has always struck me about Smith even if I don't always agree is that he does come across very measured. It's something I think has endeared himself to the supporters over the last 3 years. 

it would be amiss of anyone not to be aware of that....He handles it very well.

The last 3 games , would have wobbled a few managers, but he does take it in his stride....I applaud him for that.

If the players weren't shouting at each other there are those that would accuse them of not caring enough, besides every game you get players openly bemoaning one another, if that's an headline it seems a little clickbaity to me. I can't actually find where Preece has said that, all I can find is him saying that during the Arsenal game there was a lot of finger pointing and bickering.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I think any manager worth their salt will let players blow off steam at each other when needed. You could have the opposite with a Remi Garde whereby he is overly disciplined to the point players don't actually give a shit.

I think it depends on the context.... we don't want to see a Bowyer/Dier incident.

We've already seen Mings & El Ghazi rubbing foreheads.....No, for me its a managers job.

what would you think would happen if you had a pop at vInnie Jones, Joey Barton or Mick Harford....you can't be selective...you would have one of your boots as an evening meal.

ps I don't really get the last bit...Remi Garde, looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

Edited by TRO

My biggest issue with Dean right now is how many more 30 million pound players does he need to kick on from where we are now.

There's no doubt in my mind we're worse than last year and that we will finish lower than last years league position as well.

Also how many more big money signings is he allowed before we can say he's underachieving. With this squad and money spent we HAVE to be top half of the table or he's underachieving in my eyes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

My biggest issue with Dean right now is how many more 30 million pound players does he need to kick on from where we are now.

There's no doubt in my mind we're worse than last year and that we will finish lower than last years league position as well.

Also how many more big money signings is he allowed before we can say he's underachieving. With this squad and money spent we HAVE to be top half of the table or he's underachieving in my eyes.

I think we have to see where we are,after another batch of games...maybe 5.....things may seem clearer then....hopefully, we just look back at it, as a bump in the road.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, TRO said:
  • Arsenal are on 14 points, in 10th place, we are on 10 points in 13th place, in order to shift them we need 4 points and a 2 goal better GD.....when I went to school, 14 minus 10 is 4?.

You've moved again! 

So we now have to be top half to be mid-table?

It's unlike you to change your factual viewpoints to suit your narrative.

I'd consider 13th the edge of mid-table - I think 9th-12th would match even a pretty narrow definition of mid-table - if Neves' free kick deflects wide off Targett, we'd be 11th or 12th - that's how narrow the margin is in terms of normal definitions - to claim we're four points away from mid-table is to make a big exaggeration to make a point - it's not factual.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

but right now, we are 4 points short of midtable?...maybe when we get back to midtable a few jets will be calmed.

so what do we want now?.....exactly what you said, for Dean and his players to turn it around.

We're in mid-table, or a gnats knacker away at best - has recent form been good? No, but the season is going okay - we're not in a bad spot - the reason those jets are warm is the emotion of the Wolves turnaround and the first half against Arsenal - in reality we've had two bad halves - the bigger picture is that we're okay, we're about where we should be - there will be bad runs and good runs - the jets don't need all the daft heat we've had this week. It doesn't need turning around, it just needs us to continue to make the slow progress we have been - the urge to dive into a crisis has been triggered too soon in my opinion.

• Like 1

Â