Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I'm not saying there weren't other factors, but it's not just results that have been bad with him out of the team but performances too. We don't seem to have any sort of gameplan, as if Smith simply doesn't know how to set a team up when Grealish isn't in it.

It's concerning, but I don't think we've given it enough time to say for certain if that's the issue. So far this season it's been a shitshow preseason (ironically exacerbated by Grealish himself) and a ton of injuries during the season. He takes the blame for switching up the formations so often and our no-shows against Arsenal and Spurs of course, but I'll need to see a sustained run with something approaching our strongest side out before I can conclude he can/can't perform without Grealish.

3 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Its the inconsistency that drives me mad. However his points per game over the last 12 months prove that consistency is there, albeit the wrong kind.  He has given us some of the best times being a villa fan in my rapidly diminshing memory, but we have to look at where we want to get to and admit that the lack of consistency and these awful runs when we play turgid football for prolonged periods of time is not up to the level that we need. Time waits for no man, especially in football , and we need to pull the plug and admit that as much as i will always love him and be grateful f0r him pulling everyone together to back our wonderful club, it is time to move on. 

Being nice and Sticking with him and surviving is not the level of management we need.  And i say that with the greatest of regret 

I get your point but I don’t believe that it comes without risk. There is absolutely no guarantee that we would significantly or even slightly improve. See Everton.

5 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

The thing that has made me lose faith is simply how our tactics have morphed into pure Pulisball without physicality or aggression.  

At least we can now launch a long ball into the penalty area from a throw in!

3 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Its the inconsistency that drives me mad. However his points per game over the last 12 months prove that consistency is there, albeit the wrong kind.  He has given us some of the best times being a villa fan in my rapidly diminshing memory, but we have to look at where we want to get to and admit that the lack of consistency and these awful runs when we play turgid football for prolonged periods of time is not up to the level that we need. Time waits for no man, especially in football , and we need to pull the plug and admit that as much as i will always love him and be grateful f0r him pulling everyone together to back our wonderful club, it is time to move on. 

Being nice and Sticking with him and surviving is not the level of management we need.  And i say that with the greatest of regret 

It is concerning. It's almost the reverse of what we've come to expect from Smith. The performances were generally consistent, even if the results necessarily weren't. Now the performances are all over the place. I thought we were back to normal after Chelsea/Everton/United, but since Spurs we've just nosedived. I'm not sure what's going on. We look like a Lambert team out there sometimes. I think the Wolves game might have killed us, because we actually played decently in that game and were cruising to a comfortable victory. It might have been a random freak result at the time, but I think we're still seeing the effects of it. We might not have collapsed in those 10 minutes, but we collapsed completely since then.

• Like 1

A term I used back in August was lack of identity… I stand by it even now. It covers a lot of different areas, including playing style. I don’t think we have a style 10 games into a season, which is a big problem. 

I desperately want to start seeing the real Aston Villa again. 

• Like 1

I think the writing is firmly on the wall for Dean. The appointment of Conte at Spurs, the expected appointment of Emery at Newcastle is a wake up call to our ambitious owners.

They may well have considered that they had a few more matches to make up their minds about Smith's ability to take us forward, but events at other 'financially well off clubs' may trigger a response.

Are we as ambitious as Spurs and Newcastle? If we are then NSWE will be monitoring our situation very closely. Dean may well prolong his management tenure at AVFC with a convincing win against Southampton on Friday evening, but with other clubs showing ruthless ambition can we afford to sit on our hands and hope for the best?

" As a Villa fan for 37 years, I, for perhaps the first time, don’t want to see an underperforming Manager go. "

https://utvpodcast.co.uk/2021/11/02/fan-opinion-dean-smith/

Little piece from UTV podcast:

The knives are out…

As a Villa fan for 37 years, I, for perhaps the first time, don’t want to see an underperforming Manager go. I’ve always been excited about a new broom sweeping up through Bodymoor Heath, ringing the changes in anticipation of an upturn of fortunes.

The media is full of stories regarding Dean Smith’s precarious position as Aston Villa Manager. For some fans, journalists and pundits, it’s to be expected with four defeats in a row; the alarm bells will naturally be ringing. The bookies have him odds on as the next to go. There are names in the frame, from Steven Gerrard to Paulo Fonseca. For me, though, I can’t see the benefit of change right now.

In Smith’s defence, he has been incredibly unlucky. The covid hit pre-season shambles, the change of backroom staff weeks and in one case just days before the season kicked off, doesn’t make it easy. It is however the inability for Smith to be able field his strongest 11 that’s put him in this position, I’ve never known a season like it regarding injuries.

There is now a big part of the squad who will be going away on International duty. Yet another potential disruption, risking injury, jet lag and the inability to work on anything meaningful on the training pitch. Yet another headache for the Manager.

On the other hand, we are where we are. There is no getting away from that. Formations and odd substitutions are regularly on the agenda of the many post-match podcasts and match reports. It’s always easy to point fingers after the event, BUT we, the fans, are not dummies. How does Danny Ings fit in? Why have we not acquired an imposing CDM? The questions loads of fans were asking before a ball was kicked, and 10 games in – we still are. Smith has to portion some of the blame for sure.

The worry for me is the mood of the camp. Players arguing, throwing water bottles and appearing to storm off when substituted will not help the media make out that Smith has “lost the dressing room.” It’s pure personal frustration; that’s all it is.

So how he fixes this? It’s hard to say. If you change a Manager, it often means a complete change of backroom staff, and although currently it just doesn’t seem to be working, I fear it could be a decision that may easily backfire. Stability has not exactly been synonymous with AVFC in recent years, and if you look back, our most successful era’s have been when the management and backroom staff have been given time.

At the time of writing, there are just three days until the Southampton game. After that, yet another International break, we have Palace and Brighton. On paper three games that Aston Villa should be able to pick up points. If we don’t, the mood will become toxic (even more than it is now on social media). I just pray for no more veg throwing antics. He doesn’t deserve that.

Nick – UTV.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I think the writing is firmly on the wall for Dean. The appointment of Conte at Spurs, the expected appointment of Emery at Newcastle is a wake up call to our ambitious owners.

They may well have considered that they had a few more matches to make up their minds about Smith's ability to take us forward, but events at other 'financially well off clubs' may trigger a response.

Are we as ambitious as Spurs and Newcastle? If we are then NSWE will be monitoring our situation very closely. Dean may well prolong his management tenure at AVFC with a convincing win against Southampton on Friday evening, but with other clubs showing ruthless ambition can we afford to sit on our hands and hope for the best?

Agree and hope this is right. At the moment I firmly believe Smith is to blame and the board are blameless, but if they dilly dally over this then they also need to take some responsibility. A win at Southampton may end up a bad thing if it papers over the very obvious cracks and I just don’t think Dean is up to the job of taking us to the next level - sadly.

43 minutes ago, jim said:

It’s hardly a badge of honour considering they haven’t been up to much this season either.

Sure, it’s just hardly indicative of an emergency. I think people are being melodramatic. We don’t look like relegation contenders. We’ve had a tough run of fixtures and loads of players out.

If there’s a really good manager waiting there, ready to join, then fine. But if it’s just sack because “what could possibly be worse!?” then I think people are misguided. We could make this worse if we sack him without a plan.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I get your point but I don’t believe that it comes without risk. There is absolutely no guarantee that we would significantly or even slightly improve. See Everton.

Nothing anyone ever does is without risk. But what is the risk of not doing anything. I have been so proud to have him as our manager and i was elated after the Manure win but the drop off has been so severe. I have always loved his honesty in post match interviews as it made a change from the crap that the Lamberts and Bruce came out with. He could identify the issues and was confident to put them right. Now it has started to feel like he is clutching at straws and the pressure is starting to tell on him. We have been shite this last month . Proper shite.  And he hasnt been able to put it right like he did previously.  

As i said i am absolutely gutted it has come to this . The way he celebrated when Hause scored at Old Trafford showed he is truly one of us. That goal meant so much to him as he knows the pain we endure from them lot. But sentiment needs to be pushed to one side and replaced with ruthless professionalism. 

28 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It is concerning. It's almost the reverse of what we've come to expect from Smith. The performances were generally consistent, even if the results necessarily weren't. Now the performances are all over the place. I thought we were back to normal after Chelsea/Everton/United, but since Spurs we've just nosedived. I'm not sure what's going on. We look like a Lambert team out there sometimes. I think the Wolves game might have killed us, because we actually played decently in that game and were cruising to a comfortable victory. It might have been a random freak result at the time, but I think we're still seeing the effects of it. We might not have collapsed in those 10 minutes, but we collapsed completely since then.

Its properly strange . Its like something has happened to knock all the ambition out of the team. And losing against Wolves was a ten minute capitulation , not a comprehensive defeat . Shit happens and its how you recover from that shite. We just arent and looking worse and worse

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Sure, it’s just hardly indicative of an emergency. I think people are being melodramatic. We don’t look like relegation contenders. We’ve had a tough run of fixtures and loads of players out.

If there’s a really good manager waiting there, ready to join, then fine. But if it’s just sack because “what could possibly be worse!?” then I think people are misguided. We could make this worse if we sack him without a plan.

You would think we were at 2015 Paul Lambert or Sherwood levels the way people go on. It's not currently untenable like those situations were. If we have a really great manager lined up and have for a while, then by all means. But sacking him just because results are currently bad and then thinking about the replacement can bite us in the ass.

Edited by Keyblade

23 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

You would think we were at 2015 Paul Lambert or Sherwood levels the way people go on. It's not currently untenable like those situations were. If we have a really great manager lined up and have for a while, then by all means. But sacking him just because results are currently bad and then thinking about the replacement can bite us in the ass.

Of course we're nowhere near those levels yet, but it's also bearing in mind that Smith has had a lot of money to spend as well.

29 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Its properly strange . Its like something has happened to knock all the ambition out of the team. And losing against Wolves was a ten minute capitulation , not a comprehensive defeat . Shit happens and its how you recover from that shite. We just arent and looking worse and worse

Now that I think of it, maybe this is what he was alluding to when he said players win games, not systems.

39 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

We don't look like relegation candidates ? Really ? 

Consider the west ham game - we kept them at bay for the first 6 minutes. After we equilised we kept them out for a further 2 minutes.

When west ham needed a goal - they could get one. 

Â