Dean Smith

Demitri_C

If there is unrest in the dressing room thats seriously bad news. It would probably explain the departures of Terry and ROK. 

I'm speculating here - but my feeling would be the unrest stems from above DS. Indeed you could see a scenario where Smith has been hung out to dry.

Not good. 

The tide is turning for Dean a little and he will quickly find himself in an untenable position if he doesn't fix it. The atmosphere towards Dean is changing and it can be seen on VT and across social media and the sports media like Sky

- Overall expectation from Pro Dean people is changing to things like... he will keep us up and we will be okay

- Many pro Dean fans are saying they are starting to question Dean, they are still supportive but starting to question

- Many fans that question Dean are now calling for his head as opposed to asking if he has reached his ceiling

- Rumours now of player unrest

- Neville & Carragher discussed if Dean's job is under threat (they agreed it wasn't but it was still a discussion)

- General apathy from fans with selection and performances

These things I list above do not prove anything about Smith, but they give a feeling as to how the fans feel about Smith and it is a worrying development. It really doesn't take much to go from where we are to protests and calls for his head. As a club I would hate to go down that route so please Dean, sort it bloody out

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

if anyone believes Sanson threw a bottle at Smith and gave him the finger while in the dugout, im not sure what to say to you, do you guys actually swallow this twatter s***?

Problem is these look like legit Villa accounts, not shit stirrers

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

The tide is turning for Dean a little and he will quickly find himself in an untenable position if he doesn't fix it. The atmosphere towards Dean is changing and it can be seen on VT and across social media and the sports media like Sky

- Overall expectation from Pro Dean people is changing to things like... he will keep us up and we will be okay

- Many pro Dean fans are saying they are starting to question Dean, they are still supportive but starting to question

- Many fans that question Dean are now calling for his head as opposed to asking if he has reached his ceiling

- Rumours now of player unrest

- Neville & Carragher discussed if Dean's job is under threat (they agreed it wasn't but it was still a discussion)

- General apathy from fans with selection and performances

These things I list above do not prove anything about Smith, but they give a feeling as to how the fans feel about Smith and it is a worrying development. It really doesn't take much to go from where we are to protests and calls for his head. As a club I would hate to go down that route so please Dean, sort it bloody out

Personally I doubt we will ever see DS out protests. He has to much credit in the bank. If it started to get toxic I could see a mutual consent departure.

To me it looks the issues are coming from those above Smith 

34 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

If that is true then there is unrest in the dressing room; Sanson has a right to be pi55ed watching our midfield last night.

To repeat others earlier in the thread the rumours are that Smith has two games, I thought they'd give him until Christmas but results are bad.

I like Smith and hoped he'd be a success here but now I feel the job is too much for him.

There are better managers out there...

It was obvious from the players’ body language from the 1st minute all was not well in the camp.

13 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I always think the big test is who would be interested in a manager if he became available. Can anybody see another premier league team take an interest in Smith? It won’t happen. He will eventually get sacked by villa and then never manage in the PL again. 

Steve Bruce has had about 7 managerial jobs in the Premier League. Smith will certainly get an offer

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

Personally I doubt we will ever see DS out protests. He has to much credit in the bank. If it started to get toxic I could see a mutual consent departure.

What do you think those issues are? Lack of investment?

My feeling, and I’ve said it before, is that Smith is a bit biased towards English players, and isn’t getting the most out of the foreign players. He did mention a while back that he was looking at getting in a foreign coach to help handle that better, but nothing seems to have happened on that front.

The problem nowadays is you can’t build a successful Premier League side without bringing in lots of foreign talent. Lampard had the same problem at Chelsea. When a club brings in someone like Tuchel who speaks German, English, French, he’s going to be able to handle a multicultural squad better.

We’ve seen it all before with Tactics Tim, but I really thought (and still hope) Smith has a lot more about him. Definitely think he can turn this around, but the Sanson story is very concerning.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Problem is these look like legit Villa accounts, not shit stirrers

i can imagine a scenario where Sanson is upset and kicks some water bottles etc, but the report is "throwing a bottle at Smith and giving him the finger".

Im just saying there may be some divergence between what might have happened, and possible hyperbolic reporting of what happened.

ofc, if he did throw a bottle at Smith and give him the finger, i would be super super surprised.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yeah, I would think the same and hope it would not turn sour. I really don't want to see Villa and Smith turn like it was with Bruce. Ideally, there will be no need for it and Smith will sort the mess out and start putting points on the table and we wont need to worry about it

28 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

It would be rare for top managers to send out what was clearly the wrong team and system in the first place

Jose Mourinho lost 6-1 the other night. It can happen 

Just now, KentVillan said:

What do you think those issues are? Lack of investment?

My feeling, and I’ve said it before, is that Smith is a bit biased towards English players, and isn’t getting the most out of the foreign players. He did mention a while back that he was looking at getting in a foreign coach to help handle that better, but nothing seems to have happened on that front.

The problem nowadays is you can’t build a successful Premier League side without bringing in lots of foreign talent. Lampard had the same problem at Chelsea. When a club brings in someone like Tuchel who speaks German, English, French, he’s going to be able to handle a multicultural squad better.

We’ve seen it all before with Tactics Tim, but I really thought (and still hope) Smith has a lot more about him. Definitely think he can turn this around, but the Sanson story is very concerning.

I don't know - but two coaching staff don't just quit for no reason. One a week before the season starts - who has worked with DS for many years.

My guess (and its no more than that) is there is some interference from above DS - either Lange or purslow. 

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i can imagine a scenario where Sanson is upset and kicks some water bottles etc, but the report is "throwing a bottle at Smith and giving him the finger".

Im just saying there may be some divergence between what might have happened, and possible hyperbolic reporting if what happened.

ofc, if he did throw a bottle at Smith and give him the finger, i would be super super surprised.

I agree. Seems like there's quite a decent amount of people claiming something happened with Sanson, but I could easily see it being exxagerated.

Just now, hippo said:

I don't know - but two coaching staff don't just quit for no reason. One a week before the season starts - who has worked with DS for many years.

My guess (and its no more than that) is there is some interference from above DS - either Lange or purslow. 

O'Kelly was demoted thats why he quit. He stayed around to help Smith when he had Covid

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Im just saying there may be some divergence between what might have happened, and possible hyperbolic reporting if what happened.

He probably threw a water bottle in frustration. Which on some trajectory was in the direction of DS. 

If he aimed it and threw it at DS - then that's very serious. But I doubt it was that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

O'Kelly was demoted thats why he quit. He stayed around to help Smith when he had Covid

Who demoted him. ? DS who had worked with him for many years ? Off the back of our best season for 10 years ? 

Doesn't add up.

Firstly I really want Dean Smith to be a success at Villa, or a further success as he already has immense credit in the bank for how the team has performed over the last 3 seasons. And with Grealish leaving this season we were always going to be back a year in the plan. 10th position in the league should be the minimum objective this season.

However, it's now beginning to feel like Smith has lost his way. It feels like we have a run of games and end up defending Smith's decision, talking about poor game management, defensive vulnerabilities or a lack of goals.

The last three games, Tottenham, Wolves & Arsenal have been pathetic. We've played no football, we don't look to have a plan, we can't retain possession and we ultimately look like a team that have never played with each other. It's far away from the performances last season where we utilised the 4-3-3 and the team had an identity. 

Last night we should never have played 5-3-2, and we should never have played the same team that bottled a 2-0 win against Wolves. It was a chance to revert back to the 4-3-3 against a vulnerable Arsenal side, play football the way we played last season, and put recent performances behind us. Instead we carried on doing what we had done in previous games resulting in one of the worst first halves of football in Smiths reign.

Smith seems intent on shoehorning players into his side, Tuanzebe at the back, Ings & Watkins together up front. It isn't working and it plainly obvious to see from the stands. The fans would rather lose 4-0 having a go, pressing, passing, moving, running at players; rather than letting games pass us by with no plan B.

For me Smith now has two games to save his job. He has to revert back to 4-3-3, use the back four that clicked last season. Play a midfield with Luiz sitting deep and two of McGin, Ramsey or Sanson in front. Bailey or El Ghazi left, Buendia or Traore right and one of Ings or Watkins leading the line. In games where we should dominate the possession we then have the option to play Ings in the 10 role with pace and technical ability on the wings to carry the ball. The 5-3-2 is an option to play against teams like United, Liverpool, Chelsea and City where we know we won't be able to dominate possession.

It's not too late to turn this around but he has to get it right soon or it's going to cost him his job.

Edited by wilko154

38 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

if anyone believes Sanson threw a bottle at Smith and gave him the finger while in the dugout, im not sure what to say to you, do you guys actually swallow this twatter s***?

Not swallowing anything, I wasn't there, just posting what people say they saw. Did it happen exactly as the posters say? Probably not, memory and interpretation are not exact science, but that doesn't mean something didn't happen does it? 

• Like 1

People saying drop Watkins , realize that Smiths main tactic ( he even mentioned in the Wolves game ) is the long ball into space down the line for Watkins to chase ...its why Mings is always punting it down the line 

Â