Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Yeah strange one that, even for Terry with no real place to go. But O'Kelly, yeah. got me thinking?

I thought it was because he wanted to spend time with his family and to start slowing down.  I’m sure I heard that was the reason as he’s in his mid sixties.  Didn’t know there was something up? I’m intrigued now.

• Like 1

Surely Smith sees that current formation isn’t working?  After 20 mins I would have gone all Mourinho and made a double substitution with a formation change.   

It’s a crazy and very brave thing to do… you either get labelled a hero or an absolute fool.  

But it was so obvious after 20 mins even with the score at 0-0 that it needed to be changed. That’s when the difference between a decent manager and a genius manager come in.    

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Looks like we've tried to mix it up and it's failed 

But in fairness Watkins and Buendia aren't firing yet, I think due to injuries and a poor pre season, they have no form

Bailey will make a huge difference to this team, I think traore would make enough of a difference too

We get Bailey - Ings - Traore upfront next month and then see how poor we look, I really think we will look like a completely different team and that's when I'll judge him, this team will swing a few times this season, thus lull won't last forever 

Yeah I agree!

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

Football is not a place for sentiment. Yesterday is in the past, it is a results business

I 100% agree but stop with the "memories" he kept us in the prem and we still did better last season so give the man a chance. he got it wrong i will 100% agree and im not happy but let him have the time to fix this? if we are still poor by christmas then fine i will agree.

Scary thing is I’d rather play Arsenal than West Ham at the moment, and we play them next!! We’re going to get thumped.

Does anyone actually believe what Deans said tonight? That we will learn for the next game, didn’t he say something similar after the last two games? Does anyone really believe we’ll see an improvement for west Ham after the so called improvement tonight? 
Doubt it 

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Behind the scenes, alot of fans have discussed this to be fair.

Is Deano stubborn?

Fair play for surrounding himself with the right people, but does he listen to them when it counts the most?

Good leaders hire people who test them. Poor ones hire people who are unthreatening. Seems like the later to me.

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

I disagree. I cant imagine a replacement coach waiting in the wings having been primed by Purslow and co.  Its not that easy to do .  I think most likely it would be an overseas unknown.

I get your point but I’d imagine a lot of due diligence could be done and some quiet sounding out, possibly more than one candidate. Like anything else, it’s easy to do on a forum, not so easy in reality. 

Un fortuanately he is bbringing this pressure on himself. This isnt teething troubles or can be blamed on Jack. This is purely based on 2 things.1 of which can be put firmly on him and 1 which might have been for a variety of reasons including him .

1. Stubborness is never a particularly good trait in a manager , especially one who claims to be as inclusive and open thinking as he does and learns off others. I can see that ollie and Ings just doesnt work. Probably 99% of us on here can see it doesnt work and will not work.

So why do him and his coaching staff believe that it will work . Why do they believe that **** with the best defence formation we have had in a long time is a good thing. ? 

Why is 352 a very rarely used system these days in world football. Is it because it doesnt work as well against modern football ? 

Why did most of the media think we made some brilliant signings this summer?  . So why are they not performing on the pitch for us. ? 

i can only think of 3 answers to those  questions. 

Wtong Formation . Wrong  Formation and finally Wrong formation. 

2 . And the second is the one we all know. Why did we not buy a stronger midfielder this summer when we had money burning a hole . Did Dean say no to anyone apart from Ward Prowse. Did the board pull the plug on more spending as they seemed to do ? 

Because you dont renovate a house and then not bother putting putting foundations in place. Do you ? 

The second will come out in the wash. The first is all on him . Stubborness and a lack of awareness for the first time since that bad run pre lockdown. 

Come on Deano. Prove us wrong . 

1 minute ago, string28 said:

I 100% agree but stop with the "memories" he kept us in the prem and we still did better last season so give the man a chance. he got it wrong i will 100% agree and im not happy but let him have the time to fix this? if we are still poor by christmas then fine i will agree.

I agree, if u read some of my posts I say I do not want Dean sacked. It is not the time for that now imo. But I will agree he is on fairly thin ice and he needs to turn this around quickly. Another 2 or 3 losses on the trot and he may be a goner

Just now, MwAv808 said:

Scary thing is I’d rather play Arsenal than West Ham at the moment, and we play them next!! We’re going to get thumped.

People said the said the same thing before the Everton and Man Utd games and we won both. We're just very inconsistent at the minute. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MwAv808 said:

Does anyone actually believe what Deans said tonight? That we will learn for the next game, didn’t he say something similar after the last two games? Does anyone really believe we’ll see an improvement for west Ham after the so called improvement tonight? 
Doubt it 

Managers comments after a game, win or lose should be taken with a large pinch of salt. 

I think people are underrating Arsenal, we were always likely to lose this game, they're better than us and are likely to comfortably finish above us in the table even if we have a good season, last season we had our best season in ten years whilst they had a poor season by their standards and they still finished above us.

The bad result was the Wolves game, we needed to make sure we got a win from that as it was always going to be difficult to get something from Spurs and Arsenal.

Now we've got the Arsenal game out of the way, the most important thing is how we react in the games coming up against easier opposition.

32 minutes ago, hippo said:

OK - I will share this at the risk of being flamed for a fake ITK.  Take it or leave it. But Axel is wanted permanently at VP. Whether his poor form has affected it I don't know - but the idea was the loan will be made permanent.

I hope at least that you’re a crap ITK!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, string28 said:

forget he got us in the prem and we are still here and played some of the best football ever??? im angry but please.

Forget we had a 100 million quid player in Grealish pulling the strings. The pressures on him now to prove we wasn't a 1 man team.

Just now, Davkaus said:

Philogene-Bidace is completely untested at a high level, Smith tends to like easing young players in not just chuck them in for a baptism by fire as a PL starter. 

I wouldn't have minded seeing Watkins out wide though

Not really, he started Jacob Ramsey vs Wolves away. 

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It's a squad game. We were supposed to be moving away from relying so heavily on a first XI, or individuals, yet we appear to be falling into the same trap. Only this time, the individuals in question aren't as good as the one who left. 

I love Traore, he's absolute banter, but if he's the one we are waiting on we are in a heap of trouble. 

To be fair most teams rely on a player or two.  Look at the difference VVD has made to Liverpool for example…Liverpool weren’t brilliant, VVD got injured, they fell away and he’s back they are brilliant.  Salah is phenomenal without doubt but Liverpool we’re a less formidable team without VVD.  Man U look lost without Fernandes when he doesn’t play is another example.

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

Disagree

We have players players who can play out position and fit a 4-3-3 

Watkins is not a left winger, neither is young, El Ghazi is not a right winger, maybe he should have tried PB but that is what it is

Buendia, traore and Bailey have all missed too many games this season to get consistent use of a strong 4-3-3 line up 

AEG is a left forward who has been available all season. Buendia is a right forward who has been available almost all season. Add to that Bailey, Traore and Bidace who have all been available for quite a few games and you will see that we will always have been able to field a decent team in that formation. The problem is his insistence that Axel and Ings have to play. It is killing us.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

3 wins and 4 defeats in 8 games.

ROK and JT leaving has highlighted major flaws imo.

Anyway i think Deans days are numbered.  Poor performance tonight I wouldn’t be at all surprised he gets let go. 

I posted the above this morning and i stand by it.  Don’t be surprised if he goes after tonight.

Also i have it from a fairly reliable source that ROK has been a major lose, more so than JT.  He was major behind the scenes 

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Forget we had a 100 million quid player in Grealish pulling the strings. The pressures on him now to prove we wasn't a 1 man team.

And forget we spent 350m quid. That argument can go on and on for ever. The bottom line is we are under performing. No excuses, it needs to be fixed

• Like 1

Â