Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just did some digging and checked West Ham last 9 games

Cresswell Ogbonna Rice Soucek played max 810 mins 9 games

Coufal 720 8 games

Dawson 630 7 games

5 wins 2 draws 2 losses (Chelsea and Liverpool)

They seem successful with little rotation. Big difference no Covid outbreak

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Agreed but there is a big drop off in talent in some areas. And like you say there has been some rotation. The rw spot has rotated all season. Nakmba, hourihane and ramsay have played minutes in the centre. 

You don't really want to mess with the defence and Jack and Watkins are undroppable 

Grealish is undroppable, agreed. Unfortunately Watkins is too, because we have now failed to get an adequate support striker in two transfer windows in a row something which I have been unhappy about in both windows. Who knows, maybe if he wasn't playing 90 minutes every 3 days he wouldn't have miscontrolled two high balls in a match in which he otherwise worked very hard.

We *could* rotate Hause in in defence. I don't much rate him myself, but the results were undeniably good when he was in the team.

Anyway, I certainly think all of Traore, Sanson and Nakamba should be starting against Arsenal, at a minimum.

• Like 1

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Coufal 720 8 games

Dawson 7 games

No no no. We're shite , the world is a square, Dean Smith out, there's no rotation, no subs, nothing I tells ya. 

The reality is that while we have a pretty strong first 11 we don't really have a squad. We've been relying heavily on 9 players to carry us through the first half of the season with great success.

The trade off is likely to be that we will drop off towards the second half of the season with games coming in close proximity and our players getting jaded.

We could have rotated more but it would have likely resulted in us having less points at this stage of the season while some on our players might have been a bit fresher. I rather have the points. But that's just speculation.

I maintain that earlier and more subs would have helped in some games but that's history now.

If we can reach around 50 points it would have still been a really great season.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Coufal 720 8 games

Dawson 630 7 games

Shhhh that defeats some of these guys narratives like the sub thing where Dean should sub like Pep but facts showed they were roughly the same.  

7 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Because no one could do well out wide when Barkley and Mcginn was on. We saw that with both traore and Grealish.

So why are we only having a go at el ghazi? 

El Ghazis first touch this game was to beat his man and then no one came over to support and was surrounded by 3 players so lost it. Not really his fault imp. 

El ghazis first touch 1:05 he passed to watkins. I dont understand are you trolling and lying or you delusioonal.

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

Sounds like fatigue to me boss.

Will be interesting to see how we play against Arsenal. If we continue in the same vein, I'm going to go with fatigue because it'll be our first time this season we've put back to back poor performances together.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Coufal 720 8 games

Dawson 630 7 games

Antonio coming back from injury was big for them. Haller wasn’t the right fit. They also have fornals and Bowen who also start some games who make a big difference. It’s not the same really. They just have a better squad, I don’t see what the issue is. 

I think Smith has done a brilliant job getting us to where we are now after last season. Most of this squad has been put together in just 4 transfer windows, and the lack of strength in depth is not really a surprise given the amount of churn.

I still only care about us staying in the PL at the moment, so that we can continue to build. A top half finish would be nice but I'm not too bothered about it.

I think this summer will see a bit more change as Smith will know what the squad needs to take us to the next level, and the lack of rotation, and options, in certain areas of the team will hopefully be clear to see.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Shhhh that defeats some of these guys narratives like the sub thing where Dean should sub like Pep but facts showed they were roughly the same.  

Maybe, but on the other hand maybe Kiwi's point about the covid outbreak is actually pertinent.

Thing is, we can't handwave it away. Can't say 'the only difference is a covid outbreak!' and then carry on as if that means the covid outbreak didn't happen. *If* that's a problem, then it's a 'fact on the ground' and it needs to be dealt with.

We will always have these ups and downs but I’m now more confident we will bounce back. Smith proved the end of last season he can adapt as a coach (Though couldn’t see or appreciate it at the time) he is still fresh to top level football and will continue to evolve as a coach I’m sure of it. 

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Maybe, but on the other hand maybe Kiwi's point about the covid outbreak is actually pertinent.

Thing is, we can't handwave it away. Can't say 'the only difference is a covid outbreak!' and then carry on as if that means the covid outbreak didn't happen. *If* that's a problem, then it's a 'fact on the ground' and it needs to be dealt with.

Since we've come back from the Covid stuff we've given up a lot of chances though. Way more than has been usual for us this season. We've also created a lot less in the last few games. 

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

But what do we do? Our back up is poor, we don’t have the squad yet. We are more likely to win the game with our best XI under par than bringing in some of our back up who are less quality and not match fit because they’ve had very little pitch time.

13 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Coufal 720 8 games

Dawson 630 7 games

Mate Man City ( Obviously bigger and better squad ) and several other teams have had Covid outbreaks.

We have also had some very good performances since our Covid outbreak.

I highly doubt we are retro actively being affected by Covid and their fitness is somehow getting worse the further away from the outbreak they get?

We were just tripe tonight.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

But what do we do? Our back up is poor, we don’t have the squad yet. We are more likely to win the game with our best XI under par than bringing in some of our back up who are less quality and not match fit because they’ve had very little pitch time.

Bring one two in for the best 11 and rotate like that. As has been mentioned you don't rotate the defenders. 

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

Since we've come back from the Covid stuff we've given up a lot of chances though. Way more than has been usual for us this season. We've also created a lot less in the last few games. 

I think we have also gone from the surprise package doing so well in the first half of the season to where teams have a good sample of our game time to analyse and form a game plan.  We don’t have a quality squad in depth to make many changes to counter that.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate Man City ( Obviously bigger and better squad ) and several other teams have had Covid outbreaks.

We have also had some very good performances since our Covid outbreak.

I highly doubt we are retro actively being affected by Covid and their fitness is somehow getting worse the further away from the outbreak they get?

We were just tripe tonight.

It was more that West Ham hardly rotate 6 of 10 outfield players and they were all flying so just going against the Smith needs to rotate line

• Like 1

Â