Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, DCJonah said:

Because you say so? 

His in game management and substitution decisions have taken us to where we are. Yet you and a few others are going to invent made up situations so you can claim you want him to improve. Absolute jokes. 

I really don't think you read posts.

I named 3 benefits of making substitutions:

• Fresh legs/more energy
  • Tactical change for Southampton to consider
  • Breaking the flow of the game (each sub takes what? 2 minutes of standing around?)

I'm sure there are others.

Now I don't care about past games where criticism isn't warranted. I care about the last game, where he decided not to use these benefits after a mid-week game with the same starting line up and we escaped by the thinnest of VAR margins. I'd rather we closed out the game with energy, tactics and time wasting by being a little shrewder in the use of substitutions.

But apparently that is "inventing situations". Did I say that we'd win by 5? Did I say that we definitely would have not have lost with these substitutions? Or does that simply not fit your narrative?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, YouUnastanFren said:

We were a bit lucky yesterday based on the amount and quality of chances we conceded but most of them were early on or from set pieces, not from being too tired to compete in midfield imho.

Thank you for admitting we were lucky. You are the first responder to do so.

As for chances - the majority came late in the game, including the VAR decision, the stomp and the goal mouth scramble from the corner.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

22 pages after a 1-0 win vs our bogey team, was expecting lots of praise for the management

Nope bizarre criticism as always. Strange 

sigh

Honestly, why is criticism strange? Could it be warranted in this situation, despite the good result? Could it even be constructive?

I'd hate to be writing your peer reviews. They'd just be bizarre.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

2 points. We can't finish in Europe if we can't get results when conceding first. That is 7 games and 2 points which is horrific. Need to be better. 

Don’t see what that has to do with subs though. I never expected us to get to Europe this season. I’d  be very content if we finished the season where we are now and then continue to build the squad to be better next season.

I guess we all have different expectations. 

7 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

As for chances - the majority came late in the game, including the VAR decision, the stomp and the goal mouth scramble from the corner.

I think everyone agrees we were ‘lucky’ to varying degrees. For me, the conflict arises when you suggest that substitutions would have significantly reduced the need for luck. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ozvillafan said:

It should also be pointed out that we were less lucky than they were in the reverse fixture when every shot went in for them.

I don't think anyone can claim with a straight face that chances from corners late on are because of lack of substitutions can they? We conceded more corners in the first half IIRC. Also one of the two iffy VAR decisions was in the first half.

2 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

sigh

Honestly, why is criticism strange? Could it be warranted in this situation, despite the good result? Could it even be constructive?

I'd hate to be writing your peer reviews. They'd just be bizarre.

Its strange because if we beat Liverpool 7-2 this thread gets bumped about 2 pages but beat Southampton 1-0 our most difficult game in weeks and lots of criticism

10th win of the season, we are on to smash our Premier League win record in the last decade or so when we were getting 10 wins a season

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

22 pages after a 1-0 win vs our bogey team, was expecting lots of praise for the management

Nope bizarre criticism as always. Strange 

It’s because people keep responding to the criticism(including me) and we end up going round and round in circles. The last 22 pages is actually 2 pages x 11.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

2 points. We can't finish in Europe if we can't get results when conceding first. That is 7 games and 2 points which is horrific. Need to be better. 

maybe we shouldnt concede first, its a better tactic ;)  

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its strange because if we beat Liverpool 7-2 this thread gets bumped about 2 pages but beat Southampton 1-0 our most difficult game in weeks and lots of criticism

10th win of the season, we are on to smash our Premier League win record in the last decade or so when we were getting 10 wins a season

You mistake criticism for ungratefulness.

Criticism where it is warranted - and I believe it is in this case.

The pages that have followed have generally been along the lines of "how dare you" or "you don't know better", or other accusations where all I am trying to do is be constructive about the use (or lack thereof) of substitutes.

That's not on me.

Just now, ozvillafan said:

You mistake criticism for ungratefulness.

Criticism where it is warranted - and I believe it is in this case.

The pages that have followed have generally been along the lines of "how dare you" or "you don't know better", or other accusations where all I am trying to do is be constructive about the use (or lack thereof) of substitutes.

That's not on me.

I wasnt blaming you 😉 it was from overnight as well 

I just think Smith thread gets weird at times

26 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

I really don't think you read posts.

I named 3 benefits of making substitutions:

• Fresh legs/more energy
  • Tactical change for Southampton to consider
  • Breaking the flow of the game (each sub takes what? 2 minutes of standing around?)

I'm sure there are others.

Now I don't care about past games where criticism isn't warranted. I care about the last game, where he decided not to use these benefits after a mid-week game with the same starting line up and we escaped by the thinnest of VAR margins. I'd rather we closed out the game with energy, tactics and time wasting by being a little shrewder in the use of substitutions.

But apparently that is "inventing situations". Did I say that we'd win by 5? Did I say that we definitely would have not have lost with these substitutions? Or does that simply not fit your narrative?

You said its a point he needs to improve on? 

Well if you're only interested in the last game, his decisions won us the game. So yes, you are inventing situations to claim he needs to improve

Its mind blowing stuff  

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It could cost us missing out on top 6 which is a real possibility considering the players we have.

Whe you are in February and still in and around the top 4 it's not a joke anymore and Dean has to use his squad in the upcoming busy period or fatigue will hit us hard in late March/April. The league Is a marathon, a squad game, not just 11 players.

It's really not a possibility - considering the players we have.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I think everyone agrees we were ‘lucky’ to varying degrees. For me, the conflict arises when you suggest that substitutions would have significantly reduced the need for luck. 

I need to respond to this one. You are right, I do honestly believe the use of substitutes would have reduced the need for luck.

That does not mean we would not have lost if substitutes were made. It's purely my opinion.

Why? I'm a firm believer in making your own luck. For me, that means action over inaction in this case.

• Like 1

To be honest I think if he takes off Barkley and Traore to bring on Nakamba and Trezeguet, two players with significantly less technical ability, we concede possession with greater frequency and only serve to invite even more pressure on. Swings and roundabouts really.

There were several times in the second half where the ball came to Barkley and he was able to either carry the ball up the pitch himself to relieve the pressure or link with Jack who is obviously the best in the league at doing just that. It's just as important a part of game management as having as many defensively-minded players on the pitch as possible and our lack of players with such quality is probably part of the reason Sanson came in, who when more up to speed will also be why we could see some more rotation that some clearly crave.

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

To be honest I think if he takes off Barkley and Traore to bring on Nakamba and Trezeguet, two players with significantly less technical ability, we concede possession with greater frequency and only serve to invite even more pressure on. Swings and roundabouts really.

There were several times in the second half where the ball came to Barkley and he was able to either carry the ball up the pitch himself to relieve the pressure or link with Jack who is obviously the best in the league at doing just that. It's just as important a part of game management as having as many defensively-minded players on the pitch as possible and our lack of players with such quality is probably part of the reason Sanson came in, who when more up to speed will also be why we could see some more rotation that some clearly crave.

This was exactly my thoughts last night during the second half when thinking what changes could be made and why I have no issue at all with him not making subs.

• Like 1

Â