Dean Smith

Demitri_C

See thing is, even if Deano keeps us up.

I'm now concerned about if next season would just be more of the same, with slightly better players.

For example, some peoples arguments are that all the players are crap. Say we get 3 - 4 very good players to replace those. What happens if one or two are injured? Or out of form? Or just having a bad day, or not suited to the opposition? Or a tactical tweak is needed to get the best our of them?

It now appears he is extremely stubborn, PLAN A or bust (These days i struggle to even know what Plan A is), most of the time he is brave it is due to being forced.

I'll say again, my biggest concern has become the total lack or proactivity and game management i've seen recently (As in for months).

He has literally morphed into a manager I don't recognise anymore from the one we thought we first got.

As many have said, and is obvious, the managers job is to use what he has got, to the best effect. I've now genuinely started feeling like he is actually costing us points, this obviously isn't discounting individual player errors either.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm now concerned about if next season would just be more of the same, with slightly better players.

For example, some peoples arguments are that all the players are crap. Say we get 3 - 4 very good players to replace those. What happens if one or two are injured? Or out of form? Or just having a bad day, or not suited to the opposition? Or a tactical tweak is needed to get the best our of them?

It now appears he is extremely stubborn, PLAN A or bust (These days i struggle to even know what Plan A is), most of the time he is brave it is due to being forced.

I'll say again, my biggest concern has become the total lack or proactivity and game management i've seen recently (As in for months).

He has literally morphed into a manager I don't recognise anymore from the one we thought we first got.

As many have said, and is obvious, the managers job is to use what he has got, to the best effect. I've now genuinely started feeling like he is actually costing us points, this obviously isn't discounting individual player errors either.

Agree ,  stay up or go down smith should not be here next season - we need far better 

2 minutes ago, smg said:

Sean Dyche is ‘unhappy’ at Burnley, is he sexy enough for us ?

not for a lot of the fanbase, but i'd take him in a heartbeat

He’s got some big decisions to make now, as whether by luck or design, we still have a decent chance of staying up, but something has to change. 

He’s clearly picking Konsa at the moment because he feels it makes us more solid at the back and gives an extra aerial presence when attacking and defending. We have generally looked more solid since the restart, but he really called Konsa our post-match yesterday, which I thought was strange.

Regardless, the approach at the moment seems to be that one point is better than no points, so we are being very pragmatic rather than being gung-ho and going for wins. It’s not easy to watch, but it might be effective.

Its also clear that the wide men aren’t offering much of an attacking outlet at the minute, and that when we switched to 2 up front with Jack at the tip of a diamond at the end of the game yesterday, we controlled the game and looked more dangerous, even if it was just from winning set pieces. If it were up to me, this is how I would play against Wolves, as it means we can get Jack, McGinn and Hourihane all into central positions, and still have Luiz as the holding midfielder. It also gives us 2 outlets up front and might stop them being isolated. Konsa is then the issue as playing a diamond would rely on fullbacks providing width, so it may be a choice between Konsa and Elmo, perhaps Konsa starting and Elmo coming on later if we need a goal.

I think he will stick with 4-3-3 though, as he probably feels we are more solid at the moment.

If fans were offered being level on points with West Ham and Bournemouth and one point behind Watford at this stage of the restart, most would have taken it. Hopefully Watford lose tonight.

Goal difference might still be a problem, but if we can keep defending as we are, it will only take one heavy-ish defeat for the other teams around us and all of sudden it might swing in our favour. 

Edited by GeordieVillan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Is he a long term builder though? What is his ceiling?

Establish us as a mid table club at least I’d say in the mid term over 4 years , whether he could take us on from there who knows but I’d settle for that for a while 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Is he a long term builder though? What is his ceiling?

i dont think he's reached his 'ceiling' yet IMO. doesn't get much cash at burnley to spend so think he can achieve more than he has

• Like 1

In theory Sean Dyche doesn't seem a bad manager, but I feel like we need to try something different, in some ways he reminds me of Lamert and Smith, and to a degree Mcleish as well, in that he's a manager that has overachieved with an unfashionable club, so methinks we've kind of been down this road before and need to try something new. I think we need to stop messing about with these type of appointments and really go for someone who's had success so know what it takes to succeed.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

i dont think he's reached his 'ceiling' yet IMO. doesn't get much cash at burnley to spend so think he can achieve more than he has

I like dyche , I think he would be a solid appointment and get more from these players 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Dyche the modern day MON. Would be terrified to give him money to spend

So if dyche came he’d be spending the money , but as smith is here it’s not his fault as he’s not spending the money ?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This sums up how I feel.

1 minute ago, useless said:

The football isn't quite as bad but Dyche kind of reminds me of Pullis and Burnley remind me of Stoke.

I think we need to establish ourselves and build gradually from there , whether dyche could get us long term challenging for Europe I’m not sure ,  but I think he could establish us mid table over 3 or 4 years .

Just now, Eastie said:

So if dyche came he’d be spending the money , but as smith is here it’s not his fault as he’s not spending the money ?

some managers won't work with a DoF. not sure what dyche's arrangement is at burnley. sounds like our owners + purslow like the DoF model

1 minute ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Dyche works better without a budget.

Is that what we need?

when has he worked with a budget? has he a history of squandering money?

10 hours ago, thabucks said:

But again as I’ve said before Suso May have got the exact type of players Smith wanted in terms of specific skill set and characteristics to fit an ethos and game plan around. Suso May or May not be the issue but I can see glaring faults in the way we play and Smith as a manager and the way he sets his teams up. He just isn’t good enough for the Premier League based on the season we’ve had. 

You maybe right but the amount individual errors by players really has cost us.  Yes every team have individual errors but we seem to have had more than most that have really cost us.  Just imagine if Engels hadn’t had slipped in the final seconds against Spurs and we got that point for example, we would now be outside the relegation zone.

Just now, tomav84 said:

some managers won't work with a DoF. not sure what dyche's arrangement is at burnley. sounds like our owners + purslow like the DoF model

Yes I think the Dof model is here to stay whoever is manager . 

Â