Dean Smith

Demitri_C

44 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

look, last 2 games have sucked. no 2 ways about it...they've been abysmal. but that's only the last 2 games. every other game this season we've been competitive, even against the top sides. look at liverpool's form, and we were 5 mins from beating them ffs. smith doesn't turn into a crap manager overnight. now people are making caveats to the wins we've had when actually we DID do well to win those games. everton have had a disappointing season but we played bloody well that night. norwich beat city in spite of the injuries they had. brighton looked well organised and a threat even with 10 men. and look at newcastle, they were in good form before us and have been since, we did well to beat them too. losing our best defender and 2nd best midfielder (we lost mcginn weeks before saturday as has been playing with an injury) would affect any side.

we just need to get through the next 2/3 unscathed. i didnt think southampton were going down anyway personally. we do need more creativity though...and i'd like to see 2 up top tried.

i'm going to get **** slated for saying this but i really dont care...but he who shall not be named was right...us villa fans really are 1 game from a crisis

We are in the relegation zone......therefore this is a 'crisis', it's official.....

44 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

look, last 2 games have sucked. no 2 ways about it...they've been abysmal. but that's only the last 2 games. every other game this season we've been competitive, even against the top sides. look at liverpool's form, and we were 5 mins from beating them ffs. smith doesn't turn into a crap manager overnight. now people are making caveats to the wins we've had when actually we DID do well to win those games. everton have had a disappointing season but we played bloody well that night. norwich beat city in spite of the injuries they had. brighton looked well organised and a threat even with 10 men. and look at newcastle, they were in good form before us and have been since, we did well to beat them too. losing our best defender and 2nd best midfielder (we lost mcginn weeks before saturday as has been playing with an injury) would affect any side.

we just need to get through the next 2/3 unscathed. i didnt think southampton were going down anyway personally. we do need more creativity though...and i'd like to see 2 up top tried.

i'm going to get **** slated for saying this but i really dont care...but he who shall not be named was right...us villa fans really are 1 game from a crisis

We are in the relegation zone......therefore this is a 'crisis', it's official.....

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

in a week's time things could look very different.

If there were signs pointing to a turnaround in form i could get behind that but there isn't.

The very least you expect is the players putting in a 100 % effort and they aren't doing it. We're getting outfought every week.

Just now, Graham t said:

it's a crisis if you have 1 game left of the season to play. in December it's barely even a predicament

• Like 2

In the last nine games we've won one drawn one and lost seven, that's four points we've taken from a possible twenty-seven against almost half of the teams in the league, it's not just been the last two games. Better to admit that we're in trouble and to fight to get out of it, rather than pretending that everything is okay. And I'd say we are at crisis point, if we don't start winning then we will soon find ourselves cut adrift of safety and need a miracle to stay up, we haven't got much margin for error left.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, useless said:

In the last nine games we've won one drawn one and lost seven, that's four points we've taken from a possible twenty-seven against almost half of the teams in the league, it's not just been the last two games. Better to admit that we're in trouble and to fight to get out of it, rather than pretending that everything is okay. And I'd say we are at crisis point, if we don't start winning then we will soon find ourselves cut adrift of safety and need a miracle to stay up, we haven't got much margin for error left.

Yes agree with @useless, This is why changes need to be made NOW, not hoping it will turn out OK in the end. I would like to see those changes start with dropping Wes for Kodja (who I dont rate as a top player but his greediness will result in attacking play) and stop playing Jack on the wing we have other wingers and bring Chesie back to lead from the back. We all have different ideas who the team should be. But I think we all agree this is where changes should start and that if that doesn't work at least Dean will have tried something different 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Crisis, Disaster.... FFS. Some Villa fans really do bring delusional OTT drama 

Its only football for a start 

Okay, I agree, nobody died.....But this is 'our club' losing hurts all of us (including Deano probably most of all ). I am not satisfied with the managers performance at the moment, that's my opinion. You appear to be satisfied with things as they are, that's your opinion and I respect it of course. Notice I don't suggest that you are delusional. 

• Like 1

We've literally just about crawled into the relegation zone. People need to chill out and not get OTT about a few bad results. 

I've seen more then enough this season to see that we've caused the best teams in this league big problems. 

If we sack Deano, and bring in another manager who loses 3 in a row, what then? You going to call for his head as well? 

Deano needs time. Only been in the job just over a year and has performed miracles. He's not going anywhere - even if we get relegated he'll be the man to bring us back up. You have to remember this is his first year in the PL as well as many of our players. 

This is rebuilding job - and we will be better in the second half of the season. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jay.P.A said:

We've literally just about crawled into the relegation zone. People need to chill out and not get OTT about a few bad results. 

I've seen more then enough this season to see that we've caused the best teams in this league big problems. 

If we sack Deano, and bring in another manager who loses 3 in a row, what then? You going to call for his head as well? 

Deano needs time. Only been in the job just over a year and has performed miracles. He's not going anywhere - even if we get relegated he'll be the man to bring us back up. You have to remember this is his first year in the PL as well as many of our players. 

This is rebuilding job - and we will be better in the second half of the season. 

No it's not losing by itself that is my issue. It's the lack of desire and fight.

If i could see fight and encouraging signs in our games i could get behind it, but i can't.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

Causing the best teams 'big problems' is no good without results, Newcastle are the best team we've beat this season, so no point pretending we're doing well against the better sides. And admitting that we're in trouble and things haven't been going well, doesn't mean to say that one wants Dean Smith sacked.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

So lets get this into perspective,

Cannot defend set pieces

Cannot defend against corners

Cannot defend a lead

Keep conceding within 10 minutes after half time

Cannot make our striker work after 18 games, but continues to play him

No tactical changes when needed

Played McGinn injured

Looking no better from the start of the season

Same mistakes being made every game

No aggressiveness from players

Can someone post me the positives.

I have highlighted the same problem he had with us at Brentford, and it doesn't seem to have changed at all, he had no problems with forwards/strikers, but I thought the whole idea of bringing in John Terry was to improved and coach on the defensive side of the game, given his record as a defender and knowledge of the game it sounded very good on paper, but that's about all, because lt is not working, what does he actually do? and does anyone think that JT was brought in as a "token name" to perhaps encourage players to sign for Villa?

I get the feeling from this forum that Purslow & Pitarch have had the final say and forced some of your players on to DS, that could be a big part of the problem, if so, he doesn't warrant some of the stick he gets on here. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No it's not losing by itself that is my issue. It's the lack of desire and fight.

If i could see fight and encouraging signs in our games i could get behind it, but i can't.

funny how differently people see games. aside from the last 3 games i've seen both encouraging signs and fight in every game this season

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

funny how differently people see games. aside from the last 3 games i've seen both encouraging signs and fight in every game this season

Even the Brentford fan confirms Smith defensively is woeful.

So how on earth is he the right choice long term? Any successful football team is build on a solid defensive foundation.

And you say aside from the last 3 games. So you are just gonna ignore those last 3 games? There is a possibility a bunch of the players has lost trust in Smith considering the lack of desire on the pitch.

Edited by villalad21

9 minutes ago, useless said:

Causing the best teams 'big problems' is no good without results, Newcastle are the best team we've beat this season, so no point pretending we're doing well against the better sides. And admitting that we're in trouble and things haven't been going well, doesn't mean to say that one wants Dean Smith sacked.

So performances are null and void to you? Would you rather we played like complete shite against the top boys and still lost? 

There were definite positives in some of our performances this season. We've just hit a bad patch under Smith. Half the season gone and we are where I think most of our fans expected us to be - in the bottom half of the table. Two wins takes us to 13th, and we've got a better goal difference then all the teams near us in the table. 

It's not panic stations yet as we've still got the second half of the season yet to go. 

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Even the Brentford fan confirms Smith defensively is woeful.

So how on earth is he the right choice long term? Any successful football team is build on a solid defensive foundation.

Because him, his team, and the top dogs at Villa are changing the whole culture of the club. I'd rather we have good attacking football  from the first team down to the youth team rather then defensive, dour crap. Don't want to sit back deep, win the ball and then hit it long to the channels or to our striker. That's not a long term strategy. Not for our club - not if we want to be back where we belong.

I feel there are echoes with the signings we made in the season we were relegated few of which seemed bad at the time and many since have gone on to do well.

I am not being critical of any of the signings made, other than maybe we went 'all in' on Wes and that hasn't worked out.

But we needed to sign some more players who have Premiership experience, especially in midfield. Luiz, Nakamba, Trez were always going to take at least a season to get up to speed, same with Konsa, Hause and even El Ghazi.

I think Engels and Guilbert have looked 'mostly' ok at this level.

Ultimately we have lost confidence and belief and no amount of tactical changes and rotation will fix that.

1 minute ago, Jay.P.A said:

Because him, his team, and the top dogs at Villa are changing the whole culture of the club. I'd rather we have good attacking football  from the first team down to the youth team rather then defensive, dour crap. Don't want to sit back deep, win the ball and then hit it long to the channels or to our striker. That's not a long term strategy. Not for our club - not if we want to be back where we belong.

I'd rather us have a head coach who can have both attacking football and a good defensive structure.

Smith is not that coach. Wherever he's been he's had a piss poor defensive record

Â