Dean Smith

Demitri_C

On 22/01/2019 at 11:01, villalad21 said:

There's alot of ways to play and win a football game.

Calling players that reached a play off final as recent as last season crap is a bit harsh

Only Chester, Hourihane and Hutton are regular starters that played in the play-off final

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don’t think anyone believes Dean Smith is the next Fergie, I think the poster was suggesting he may be a similar character regarding letting rip at the players. I equally don’t think many people, perhaps just you, believe he is a Mickey Mouse manager. In fact it is a baffling thing to call our manager, after such a short period of time, such a childish name. 

I don’t know, none of us can read the future, if he will be a success or not. What I do know is, that after being badly run for 10 years we finally have some credible owners who have put a very strong back room team, including a CEO who was one of the architects of FFP. If these people have decided that Dean Smith is the man to lead the squad through this vital and very challenging period in our future, then I believe that the very least they deserve is respect for that decision. I also believe that as fans we should get behind everyone who is working towards the future of Aston Villa. I don’t mean anyone is above criticism, mistakes will be made as they always are, but we can offer constructive criticism without being abusive. 

This can’t be a quick fix, nothing this broken can be easily put back together. It is going to take time, support and a lot of patience. We all need to stick together, owners, staff and fans. If we want to succeed we have no choice. 

Absolutely brilliantly said.

And yes I was saying Smith was like Fergus in a way that he may tear into players for not pulling there weight.

I to believe that our owners and CEO have decided on a plan to execute over long term. They have also decided to nail down a future in this sport and for the and have a clear vision for Aston Villa. The future needs to change for us because as it stood we was a club on the verge of being totally destroyed by 20 years of what i would call disgusting abuse of our club. Now Dean Smith is the man for the job for the foreseeable future because long term plans instead of short sighted plans are what it's all about.

There are those on here that would see us gamble everything again just like we did a season ago. For what all because we have two very wealthy owners should we keep gambling on things and failing.

It's not an easy thing to watch our team suffer defeats, it's happening and for a reason and it's not because of Dean Smith like some are suggesting. We have a bunch of players who are still with us from relegation,those players need to move on. Just like our previous owners and CEO and so on a clear out is what is needed a d it will happen summer time whether we want to or not. We need to become a club again and change the way we operate, to do that it takes a very long time, but it's happened rather faster than expected for us.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

What other clubs has this generally been postive for ?

what actually is it we have done that suggests some long term strategy is in place ?

As far as I can see we have sacked bruce and brought in smith...

not that I would know a long term strategy if there was one - nor do I want to criticise the new owners - but how do you know such a plan is in place. ...Stoke have appointed Nathan Jones recently ...is that a long term plan ?

personally I dont think long terms plans exist ...if DS doesnt cut it next season ..hes off...

Mate in the last few days/week your Dean Smith posts have gone from "Food for thought" territory into a straight up outlandish personal agenda driven space.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate in the last few days/week your Dean Smith posts have gone from "Food for thought" territory into a straight up outlandish personal agenda driven space.

Why because appointing Dean Smith is part of a long term plan ? - what exactly does that mean ?  - Like I asked is Stoke appointing Nathan Jones   a long term plan or not  - because to me it looks like the same thing. 

I don't believe there is a long term plan in football - On average Managers last 2.5 seasons - players about 3 or 4.  Sure Smith will probably start next season, but he won't last long if he is only winning 1 in 9 - wheres the long term plan then ? .

Edited by hippo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Absolutely brilliantly said.

And yes I was saying Smith was like Fergus in a way that he may tear into players for not pulling there weight.

I to believe that our owners and CEO have decided on a plan to execute over long term. They have also decided to nail down a future in this sport and for the and have a clear vision for Aston Villa. The future needs to change for us because as it stood we was a club on the verge of being totally destroyed by 20 years of what i would call disgusting abuse of our club. Now Dean Smith is the man for the job for the foreseeable future because long term plans instead of short sighted plans are what it's all about.

There are those on here that would see us gamble everything again just like we did a season ago. For what all because we have two very wealthy owners should we keep gambling on things and failing.

It's not an easy thing to watch our team suffer defeats, it's happening and for a reason and it's not because of Dean Smith like some are suggesting. We have a bunch of players who are still with us from relegation,those players need to move on. Just like our previous owners and CEO and so on a clear out is what is needed a d it will happen summer time whether we want to or not. We need to become a club again and change the way we operate, to do that it takes a very long time, but it's happened rather faster than expected for us.

Does he or doesn't he ? 

I don't know - Smith does strike me as a shouter - but you're saying he might be like fergie because he may shout at the players -

Who is still with us from relegation? - Hutton, Grealish  

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Why because appointing Dean Smith is part of a long term plan ? - what exactly does that mean ?  - Like I asked is Stoke appointing Nathan Jones  stoke long term plan or not  - because to me it looks like the same thing. 

I don't believe there is a long term plan in football - On average Managers last 2.5 seasons - players about 3 or 4.  Sure Smith will probably start next season, but he won't last long if he is only winning 1 in 9 - wheres the long term plan then ? .

It's as if you literally chose to totally ignore the poster pointing out that the long term plan SUPERCEDED Smith.

You literally skipped over what the poster was trying to say, just to get back to having another stab at Smith.

I don't need to point out to you that the long term plan talk was developing a system throughout the club where if Smith fails we seemlessly move on with another Head Coach.

As that is exceedingly obvious in the post.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's as if you literally chose to totally ignore the poster pointing out that the long term plan SUPERCEDED Smith.

You literally skipped over what the poster was trying to say, just to get back to having another stab at Smith.

I don't need to point out to you that the long term plan talk was developing a system throughout the club where if Smith fails we seemlessly move on with another Head Coach.

As that is exceedingly obvious in the post.

How do we seamlessly move on with another head coach ? - Get him to the same things as his predecessor ?   

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Why because appointing Dean Smith is part of a long term plan ? - what exactly does that mean ?  - Like I asked is Stoke appointing Nathan Jones  stoke long term plan or not  - because to me it looks like the same thing. 

The last bit I agree with.

Winning  one in 9 on a regular basis will get any Villa manager sacked.On a similar note it would most probably get any teams manager the heave ho...

But clubs have plans though...none of them are running around like Sunday league clubs from week to week.So are we saying just because the manager is sacked the club that sacked him don’t have a long term vision?

• Like 1

When Smith was announced there was real concern from some that he was just a cog in the Brentford system and it wouldn't work for him elsewhere.

The next couple of months will be very telling imo. Brentford's form is improving again after their wobble when Smith left. And our form is diminishing after what might be just a new manager bounce.

I said before christmas that this period would really show us whether Smith is the real deal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

The last bit I agree with.

Winning  one in 9 on a regular basis will get any Villa manager sacked.On a similar note it would most probably get any teams manager the heave ho...

But clubs have plans though...none of them are running around like Sunday league clubs from week to week.So are we saying just because the manager is sacked the club that sacked him don’t have a long term vision?

No - But the quality of the head coach is key - don't unveil an average one and say 'ah yeah but he's part of a long term vision' 

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

When Smith was announced there was real concern from some that he was just a cog in the Brentford system and it wouldn't work for him elsewhere.

The next couple of months will be very telling imo. Brentford's form is improving again after their wobble when Smith left. And our form is diminishing after what might be just a new manager bounce.

I said before christmas that this period would really show us whether Smith is the real deal.

We were already wobbling BEFORE he left with no wins in 5 games, our new head coach has now steadied the ship with no defeats in 7 games by making a few changes to our defensive setup that DS seemed incapable of doing for you, as he did with us and Walsall before that, it's ironic that the changes we made to our defence was when Mepham was injured and not playing, But saying that Bournemouth have got themselves a very good young player who came through our B team system we run, and I think he will go to the top.

DS is a good man manager and was well liked by most of us for playing good attacking football, but it seemed impossible for him to organise our defensive issues, I though that the idea of you signing JT was to sort out your defensive frailties, so whats gone wrong with that? 

Just now, jonjon said:

We were already wobbling BEFORE he left with no wins in 5 games, our new head coach has now steadied the ship with no defeats in 7 games by making a few changes to our defensive setup that DS seemed incapable of doing for you, as he did with us and Walsall before that, it's ironic that the changes we made to our defence was when Mepham was injured and not playing, But saying that Bournemouth have got themselves a very good young player who came through our B team system we run, and I think he will go to the top.

DS is a good man manager and was well liked by most of us for playing good attacking football, but it seemed impossible for him to organise our defensive issues, I though that the idea of you signing JT was to sort out your defensive frailties, so whats gone wrong with that? 

I'm sure JT helps with the defence, but I've pointed out before that he is an assistant head coach. Defence is not his only job, presumably his role is as wide ranged as the head coach himself, if not more so.

There seems to be a misconception that JT is THE defence coach. He's not (but like I said, you would hope that the defence is at least part of his job)

2 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Exactly my main worry with DS.

Been leaking goals at every club he's managed and it's a big concern for me. I will give him a chance next season to see if he can improve in that department, but he haven't impressed me so far, and i will probably remain skeptical for the rest of the season.

3 minutes ago, Rodders said:

our defensive issues, stem from personnel issues - they are all chronically shit. No amount of organisation helps when you have Taylor, Elmo and co "defending"

Elmo, Chester and Hutton were three quarters of one of the best defences in the league last season. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I though that the idea of you signing JT was to sort out your defensive frailties, so whats gone wrong with that? 

Elmo is shit, Hutton is shit, Bree is shit, Taylor is shit, Elphick is mediocre, Chester is playing through injury, Tuanzebe is injured.

Whelan and Jedinak are past it, Bjarnasson is shit and Hourihane is not a defensive midfielder.

That's why we can't defend.

• Like 2

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You make the omission of JOHN TERRY seem insignificant though.

It's not insignificant. But rodders said "No amount of organisation helps when you have Taylor, Elmo and co "defending""

JT was obviously a huge part of it. But I don't buy that he can turn an absolute defensive shambles into one of the best in the league.

Â