John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Another 6/10 performance which is becoming all too frequent. Need him to raise it again, but we'll eventually need someone who can move the ball quicker and play in tight spaces better than him.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Another 6/10 performance which is becoming all too frequent. Need him to raise it again, but we'll eventually need someone who can move the ball quicker and play in tight spaces better than him.

Should be rotated, think he’s started every match so far. Even as captain, it’s a lot of matches for him. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I think you're being kind with a 6!

To be fair, I always feel when McGinn plays well, we do, and vice versa.

Need an absolute monster performance from him on Sunday!

• Like 3

He isnt as good going backwards as forwards. Which he would be the first to admit. Emery needs to get him in positions to be a threat and also to sort those behind him so that he isnt having to play 20 yards further back. 

26 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

He isnt as good going backwards as forwards. Which he would be the first to admit. Emery needs to get him in positions to be a threat and also to sort those behind him so that he isnt having to play 20 yards further back. 

He can't just 'be a threat' though. He's in our midfield. He needs to contribute more to our build up.

His corner yesterday in the first half summed it up. Should have scored tbh. He puts that shot anywhere else it’s 2-1 at half time. Instead, he just tries to hit it as hard as he can. 

Just now, The_Steve said:

His corner yesterday in the first half summed it up. Should have scored tbh. He puts that shot anywhere else it’s 2-1 at half time. Instead, he just tries to hit it as hard as he can. 

Should have score in the early minutes to but decided to head it across goal . Had we’ve scored first we would have gone on to win it.

16 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Should have score in the early minutes to but decided to head it across goal . Had we’ve scored first we would have gone on to win it.

We had more chances in the first 10 minutes agreed. The game was extremely open and not reflective of the average PL fixture. 

Feel like some of that isn’t right though I agree with the larger point. 

Didnt McGinn pair with Luiz for Spurs at home last season?

And could’ve sworn Dendoncker and Luiz was the midfield pairing for Unai’s first home match vs United. 

33 minutes ago, duke313 said:

McGinn x Luiz pivot

He’s gonna be vital if we’re to finish in a CL spot. He’s a monster in CM when on form. I remember last season when we beat Spurs, it was arguably the best performance I’ve seen from a centre mid at Villa park. Him and Luiz in the middle. Ramsey and Bailey wide. 

Time for Tielemans and Diaby to step up to fill the other slot behind Watkins for me. 

And I’m rarely wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As I said when awarding him Motm, every successful team needs a McGinn. We will never forget the beautiful football that Pep's Barcelona played. Xavi, Iniesta, and Messi, but without the underappreciated Mascherano, and his excellent defensive qualities as a holding midfielder, they wouldn't have been the superb team they were. 

I can imagine in years to come, maybe when we're struggling, some disgruntled fans crying, "how I wish we had a McGinn".

• Like 1

Â