John McGinn

PompeyVillan

3 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

After watching a fair bit of spurs I think we will rely heavily on that sweeping ball of his over to Digne/Moreno to get in behind Porro, per our first goal yesterday 

Yep. They'll be saying the same about Digne.

Given they play a very high line too, we could get to a point in the game where all 20 outfield players are within 10 yards of the halfway line... MENTAL I TELL YOU. 

17 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

We talk about The Arse all the time but his ability to drop a shoulder is so, so effective. The defender squaring up to him for his goal knows what he's going to do but is powerless to stop McGinn charging at him and loosing away the shot. 

He should be a lesson for players everywhere that you don't need to do a thousand step overs to turn your defender: the way he uses his body is unreal. None of this is a comment on his technical ability either (I'm not going to pretend that meat and two veg midfielders of the 80s were better than Iniesta): he is clearly a v good striker of the ball, can get it out of his feet quickly and has pinpoint passing. His temperament probably prevents him getting the plaudits he deserves: a man whose most famous gif involves him saying 'cheps' will endear him to fans and pundits in a more homely way than a player doing cartwheels with a football. 

People see him as a throwback but I wonder if we'll start to see more players like him emerge in the PL: scouts will go looking for players with that sort of control over their bodies, rather than being seduced by flicks and tricks. 

He reminds me a lot of Gareth Barry now - that ability to shield the ball, move and create space for himself from the opponent is great. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yep. They'll be saying the same about Digne.

Given they play a very high line too, we could get to a point in the game where all 20 outfield players are within 10 yards of the halfway line... MENTAL I TELL YOU. 

It's going to be mayhem and I can't wait

7 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

imagine being in the same side as John McGinn and seeing the raw, controlled, aggression he brings to the game. It couldn't help but inspire you . Crucial to our team

This. The man is a machine.

Interesting to flip the perspective, too. After yesterday, I was imagining what he’s like to play against. I think he’d be a terrifying prospect. He dictates the game, can turn your ankle without so much as a by your leave and needs very little space to play (in fact, he seems to relish players marking tight on him), then he runs at you. He finds space, can take players out of the game and can nibble at your ankles if he needs to. He is gaining a reputation for being able to pop up with an important goal, too. 

He has a bit of an aura around him now. I know this isn’t an appropriate comparison for so many reasons, but that sort of aura is something I associate with peak Paul Scholes: teams knew he could be just unplayable and that gave him an immediate advantage at kickoff. 

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

There are others bigger than him or more ripped than him but McGinn uses what strength he has better than any other player in this league. He is just so solid and, I dunno, girthy? (Why hello Kenneth)

It's like farmers strength or old man strength. It's not immediately obvious to look at him but it's there 😂 

He is the strongest pound for pound in the league in a football sense.  I remember when he described his running style as the same as a man running after a helicopter.  Its true. Head down. Perpetual motion. It gives him such a low centre of gravity that he can just push through anyone. His big arse is his balance weight so he can do that. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Calvin Bassey had monster strength. And McGinn was still stronger.  He is a beast 

That tussle with Bassey was one of the highlights of the day. He didn’t just hold him off, he beat two players and created a chance.

what a player!

• Like 1

That performance was sublime.

He had all the ingredients, That I have been talking about on here.....He is the "General" when he's in that mood.

His physicality was off the charts, and a normally impressive Palinha was reduced to fouling.

anyone can see why SAF is so taken by John......He knows this kind of player, more than most.

For me, He was a sight to behold, up there with the Newcastle performance.

Despite all Johns, most obvious attributes......this boy can play too.

Thats precisely the type of player, I have been itching for.....can we have 2 to give John a rest.

• Like 2

If you could use one example to highlight the gulf between Gerrard and Emery, McGinn's performances would be up there.

When was the last time you saw him shoot hopefully from way out, or play a hopeful lofted ball into the box when there's nothing else on?

He just doesn't do that anymore. He doesn't need to do it with so many other options on the ball, and Emery will have worked on his decision making generally as well. He does everything with a clear purpose.

Playing at the top of his game.

On 13/11/2023 at 12:46, lapal_fan said:

I **** love him.

I thought he'd reached his ceiling as a solid, streaky prem midfielder, but he's looking perfectly at home at the top of the table.

Me too.

Just goes to show what a bit of quality management and well drilled coaching can bring out of a player 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Looking back to 2019, he seems like a much bigger physique now.

What a player we have. Legend.

The meatball has thickened for sure.

Love the man.  So likable...  and when he gets going and means business, he is very tough to stop.  Competitiveness off the charts.

• Like 1

Â