John McGinn

PompeyVillan

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Timestamp 4:30 Alex Moreno. It's pretty crazy how much he creates. Digne one of the top in the League too. I think it's down to how ultra attacking LB is in the Emery system. Interesting later on with McGinn in the chart and how he remains key to ball progression.

McGinn sits in a nice position between Odegaard and De Bruyne on that scattergram. Just shows how important he’s been in an attacking sense for us. 

• Like 1

So. He has lasted 4 full time managers now. And all feel he is indispensable.  So i guess he will still be on the first 11 team sheet next season as captain. With us looking to strengthen the front 4 where will he play ? As a 10 or as inverted winger ala Snodgrass. ? 

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

So. He has lasted 4 full time managers now. And all feel he is indispensable.  So i guess he will still be on the first 11 team sheet next season as captain. With us looking to strengthen the front 4 where will he play ? As a 10 or as inverted winger ala Snodgrass. ? 

He can do a job anywhere across the midfield and behind the striker. He’ll be invaluable to us next season. I can’t quite believe just how much he’s improved in the last 6 months. His performance against Spurs was probably, in my opinion, the single best performance from a player all season. 

Players like McGinn, Ramsey, Luiz and Konsa have all gone up several levels since Emery came in. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He can do a job anywhere across the midfield and behind the striker. He’ll be invaluable to us next season. I can’t quite believe just how much he’s improved in the last 6 months. His performance against Spurs was probably, in my opinion, the single best performance from a player all season. 

Players like McGinn, Ramsey, Luiz and Konsa have all gone up several levels since Emery came in. 

McGinn said himself that he was doing things now that he thought he wasn't capable of doing. Emery has used his cheat codes and unlocked the beast mode version of all our players. 

.Just been reading an article about how JM was really hurt to be sarcastically cheered whilst being substituted against Forest in the 1- 1 draw at their place. He also metioned how it affected his father, who didn't go to the next five away games. It seems some players do at least care about criticism aimed their way.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

.Just been reading an article about how JM was really hurt to be sarcastically cheered whilst being substituted against Forest in the 1- 1 draw at their place. He also metioned how it affected his father, who didn't go to the next five away games. It seems some players do at least care about criticism aimed their way.

He needed to step it up, as his career had definitely stalled IMO and he was coasting. Luckily he realised that he needed to and not only that, but one of the best coaches to help him develop turned up. 

It’s a brilliant interview actually. He’s critical of his own form earlier in the season but not the effort he was putting in. Says that he’s not a shouty captain but leads by performance so he has grown into the role as his performances have improved. He absolutely raves about Emery and the impact he has had on his performances and is thinking about going into coaching himself for the first time. 

On 14/05/2023 at 12:50, pete101 said:

The word legend is probably thrown around a bit loosely but is mcginn a villa legend at this point?

Huge part of a team that got us promoted

Part of team that stayed up on last day of season

And is possibly about to Captain the side to European football 

Need a statue of his backside next to the new north stand. It's award winning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

“He has probably transformed me as a player; taken me to a level that I probably didn’t think I was capable of; made me adapt in so many ways I probably didn’t think I was capable of,” McGinn explains. “He is so intense, so passionate about football, so detailed. He just wants to improve every single player.”

McGinn gives two examples. The first is how Emery tasks two of his coaches – Antonio Rodríguez and Jaime Arias – to work individually with each player. So when McGinn was asked to play on the right wing he had already worked on “body shape” and where to position himself with Rodríguez.

Second he talks about Emery drilling into left-back Alex Moreno how good a team Bournemouth are and the threat they pose. In fact, McGinn says, Bournemouth were the side Villa spent most time analysing because Emery was fascinated “by their level”. Villa won 3-0 having been beaten 2-0 by Bournemouth on the opening day of the season.

“Tyrone [Mings] talks about it as well – he’s 30, I am 28 – and we regret not having a different style of coaching earlier,” McGinn explains. “We are used to British ex-pro managers who are all brought up the same way and this style, the Spanish way, is something I really enjoy.”

Emery has taught McGinn another thing: that he has more time than he thinks.

‘It’s opened my eyes’

“The Spanish have always had a lot more composure – certainly more composure than Scottish people,” McGinn says. “When you are a midfielder you don’t get a lot of time on the ball or you don’t think you do but you actually have more time.

“Putting your foot on the ball in midfield in Scotland is frowned upon but the manager came in and said, ‘Why not? You haven’t got an opponent anywhere near you, take your time, bring someone else in and create space for your team-mate’. That is something I have learnt and realised.

“It’s opened my eyes. Quite often before the Villa fans would have mumbled and grumbled but they are buying into it. There have been bumps along the way – Stevenage at home [FA Cup], Leicester at home [4-2 defeat] – when we have been punished for playing out from the back, but I think the fans are learning as well, the fans are seeing there’s a bigger picture here and that we are progressing as a team with a certain style.”

McGinn is even, for the first time, considering going into coaching when he eventually retires. “My understanding has gone through the roof under him [Emery],” he says. “I never thought I would dip my hand into coaching but he’s made me think a completely different way about the game. When someone is that obsessed with perfection and doing things right you can’t get away from learning. It’s been priceless and I can use that if I decide to go down the coaching route. I always thought you buy the best players and you win but he’s opened my eyes.”

For example, when McGinn was in Emery’s office they talked about the Brighton game. “I said to him, ‘It was a bit like a chess game’. Because their structure is so impressive we were both kind of cancelling each other out. It was like moving parts,” he says.

Unsurprisingly there is a huge amount of analysis and tactical planning. “The meetings can be long but it’s something new every week,” McGinn explains, and the “marginal gain” is in watching clips, “mentally being on it”, staying focused, “not sprinting around the pitch”.

McGinn adds: “Football intelligence goes a long way because now these managers are so intense and detailed. It’s just so interesting. People are finding a way to win because the margins are so fine and the standards are so high.”

‘We are no longer under the radar’

He has also shown football intelligence in his adaptability. “The only positions I have not played are centre-back, right-back and goalkeeper. It’s a good thing,” McGinn says, while the exciting challenge for Villa next season is that they will “no longer be under the radar”.

Emery was under no illusion when he arrived that his remit was simply to avoid relegation. But that quickly changed. “We had staged ambition: keep the club in the league, then let’s try to get in the top 10 and then let’s see who we can catch,” McGinn says.

the whole article was a great read, but the bits above where McGinn lauds about how Emery has opened his eyes and changed him as a player, and that he and Mings (from chats) really wish they had had a manager like Emery earlier in their career etc.

amazing reading, we are so lucky to have Emery.

• Like 4

The Spanish have always had a lot more composure – certainly more composure than Scottish people,” McGinn says. “When you are a midfielder you don’t get a lot of time on the ball or you don’t think you do but you actually have more time.

“Putting your foot on the ball in midfield in Scotland is frowned upon but the manager came in and said, ‘Why not? You haven’t got an opponent anywhere near you, take your time, bring someone else in and create space for your team-mate’. That is something I have learnt and realised.

Love that bit, but amazed that no-one has had this chat with him before (not so much with Gerrard as it's generally accepted he's clueless).

• Like 3

23 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

It’s a brilliant interview actually. He’s critical of his own form earlier in the season but not the effort he was putting in. Says that he’s not a shouty captain but leads by performance so he has grown into the role as his performances have improved. He absolutely raves about Emery and the impact he has had on his performances and is thinking about going into coaching himself for the first time. 

Probably the best way to lead, by performance. Less room for argument. 

23 hours ago, MaVilla said:

the whole article was a great read, but the bits above where McGinn lauds about how Emery has opened his eyes and changed him as a player, and that he and Mings (from chats) really wish they had had a manager like Emery earlier in their career etc.

amazing reading, we are so lucky to have Emery.

It is a good article but is somewhat daming of the english/british approach. Where are the same types of Emery coaches in this country? This is the richest and highest profile league in the world, and yet national coaching has not seemed to have progressed much since the 90s.

On 07/06/2023 at 15:55, WallisFrizz said:

Yeah. I really enjoyed reading that.

16 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It is a good article but is somewhat daming of the english/british approach. Where are the same types of Emery coaches in this country? This is the richest and highest profile league in the world, and yet national coaching has not seemed to have progressed much since the 90s.

yeah, English managers have a long way to go/develop to get to the level of many of the foreign coaches.

• Like 2

Â